Author Topic: they're like that on the net  (Read 12643 times)

twisted wheel

Re: they're like that on the net
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 06:09:45 PM »
i wouldn't leave here but i can take rough too. i may have a look and see how it goes.

Offline eric

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 06:46:08 PM »
I tried poetry circle out, posted my Carp Fishing poem.  I worked on that one pretty hard, got a good reception here.  At PC, one person didn't get it, one had a minor and incorrect grammatical correction, one said it wasn't a poem at all but a piece of short fiction.  It seemed like I had to explain myself over and over, which of course is not good.  That's as far as I remember anyway.  I resigned and came back here.  I am sure it works well for some people, but I get more useful reviewing here.

I also tried a different site that had some very good writing.  A friend of mine got into some sort of minor differences with the mods and was banned.  I got sick of that and came back here as well.

Just my experiences, others may differ.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:56:22 PM by eric »

Offline Biola

• Creation swings on the axis of LOVE
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 11:36:52 PM »
Don't run John!
I agree with Amie, I have used a combination of my name and my company name on my blog for the simple reason that I get daft letters! Here on MWC, I wanted to be honest about what I can and cannot do for I actually wanted to learn how to write never mind that I have written hundreds of plays, I have rarely been able to post one there as I just read to understand what is on the other side of the world. Vienna does something my northern brothers do here, they use the names of the towns as their surname and when I saw his name I assumed so. Some screen names might be protective and others might just be salve to one who feels insecure. I must be honest though about something, there are different ingredients to make different dinner so I hesitate to consign anyone's writing to the bin. If he carries anything within him/her, ultimately he will learn either from knocks, or from humility which is sadly lacking in most of humanity today.The sky is wide enough for all birds, the swallow as well as the eagle.
biola
we learn every day if we want. check my blog http://biola-ephesus-ephesus.blogspot.com, Ephesus@Wordpress.com
buy my books, BLOOD CONTRACT,NUMEN YEYE at amazon.com

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 08:09:25 AM »
Very interesting thread. I came to read the poem for two reasons.
1. It was written by John, but even if I knew him here as TwinkleToesPoet, I would know the name meant I was going to find something good in the link.
2. I was intrigued by the title.

I've stayed for the conversation.

I would like to point out that men and women see the world differently. Women tend to need a layer of security because the world can do a little more damage to them, should the world decide. So women putting their whole name on the web can be dangerous (says the person whose whole name goes up with every post). I know I'm taking a risk with that.

It is also true that writers - not just poets, mind you - come here having been told by the unwashed masses, the hoi paloi, their high school teachers, that they were just the greatest thing since sliced bread. And then - WHAM - they are slapped in the face with reality. They find people who demand correct spelling and punctuation, which sends some of them into a tailspin, let alone requiring their work be readable, engaging, well-written.

I tend to agree with John's premise. They use some big powerful sounding name to hide behind, part as smoke screen (first impressions make a difference. There have been studies showing a more favorable response just by starting out a list on a positive note rather than a negative one - even if the list includes the same words) So the smoke screen - see me as a great writer. And then the fragile, frightened ego wondering if they really do measure up and getting outrageously angry when their work is deemed less than perfect.

My own screen name refers to my absolute fear of the misspelled word and a hint to my gender. I tend to write forcefully and without some clue am often mistaken for a man. That irritates me no end. Women really are people, too.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

twisted wheel

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 09:37:48 AM »
Women really are people too.

no one told me :o :D

Offline mouselady

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »
the great UK poet (he's one of those few people that i would actually call poet) regularly struts his stuff there. 

What, there's only one, in the whole of the UK?  Who is he?

I went to the site, but couldn't see Simon Armitage's name*.

Mouselady
(aka Sheila North)

*not that I think he's necessarily the best in the UK, but he's very good
Listen to 'Book It!' for author interviews, book reviews, original stories, and more on the last Saturday of the month, 10 -11 am GMT, on Sine FM, 102.6 on your radio dial, or www.sinefm.com

My dark fantasy, "The Woodcutter's Son", is available on Amazon.

Blog: sheilanorth.wordpress.com

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 05:50:08 PM »
nope, Milner Place, hands down.
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

http://www.epicrites.org/

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »
<--When I believe my work can hold it's own, I will use my pen name with pride. Until then, I hide behind the square. So, I tend to agree with you John.

I am struck by the stark simplicity of your words and how they pack such a powerful punch.  So many times I read poetry that sounds like spewed word vomit. I too am, or rather, I am too guilty of such regurgitations to use my own name with pride...yet. ;)
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 07:27:41 PM »

I am struck by the stark simplicity of your words and how they pack such a powerful punch.  ;)

how kind.  thank you!
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

http://www.epicrites.org/

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 07:44:42 PM »
I'm relieved you took it as the compliment it was meant to be. You are quite welcome.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline eric

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 07:51:20 PM »
I think there are few words that would be a higher compliment to a contemporary poet like John.  But wait, my dog is banging on the door!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:54:31 PM by eric »

Offline oxymoron

• i love you as certain dark things are to be loved.
    • Blunt Force Honesty
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »
We can't generalize that individuals who don't use their real name when posting are indeed hiding because they are afraid of the criticism they may receive. If i posted under my real name, which I generally do, it wouldn't really make a difference if i received criticism from anyone on this site. Most likely,  I will never ever meet you in person, and if I ever do, all I could do was to either thank you for the time you took to comment on my poems (even if I felt that you had a stick up your ass) - or just sneer away. In either case, it doesn't deter me from writing the crap I may write, or the good stuff that I may write.
Personally, anyone who posts something whether under pseudonym or real name - has the equal potential of posting something ugly or beautiful - regardless if there is a computer screen allowing me to hide - criticism will hit me all the same, with or without a mask. At one point, some great writers and poets wrote under pseudonyms (albeit for different reasons).
As for people posting 'crap' and thinking it is great - have been misguided and I believe it our job to bring reality to them..well I shouldn't say our - I'm still learning myself. Tough love people!

clarification: ('you' in the general sense - not anyone particular!)
"be original, you have two choices in life; you can dissolve into the mainstream or you can be distinct. to be distinct you must be different. to be different you must strive to be what no one else but you can be" - alan ashley-pitt

http://bluntforcehonesty.blogspot.ca/

Offline DGSquared

• Station Shorts
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
I think there are few words that would be a higher compliment to a contemporary poet like John.  But wait, my dog is banging on the door!
Did he bring beer and pizza?  The dog, I mean. ;)

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2009, 02:36:29 PM »
Hmmmm.  I always use my name, even when the creative things I write are only mildly north of doggerel. With my photography, I tend to only show the good stuff, but I'm more comfortable with that and feel I know what the good stuff is. I freely admit that I think I need more help with the writing, at least on the creative side. I can hold my own with essays. But good, constructive criticism never bothers me (although unexplained cheap shots will)!
  ::)

Did he bring beer and pizza?  The dog, I mean. ;)
If the dog brings beer and pizza, I want the next pup in the litter!  ;) ;D
web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron

Offline eric

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »
You know, H., I think some of your photographs are just beautiful.  I like the trees a great deal, for instance.  Not too crazy about the fence post and haven't looked deeper into your portfolio, but several of  the other early ones were stunning I thought.  

But one you say could have been stunning, yet it was simply interesting.  Let's look at it.  You call it "Detail" in your web page, a close-up of the inside of a flower.  A lovely flower, the stamen in complicated equipose, but also having a dynamic; it would not stay like that for long.

Below it you append a short essay about momentous world events in flux, the salient but little details giving us all we could really grasp of the moment.  In this light, the detail of the flower is a poem or the start of a poem, and a very good one, about the reality on the ground of the forces of history on their march.  We have seen great movies like this, Bogie etc. caught in the jaws of war, and so on.

Then you make the metaphor even more interesting, with your comment about not bothering to go inside to get your tripod so you could make this a truly special picture.  You just took the photo with a hand held camera, you say out of laziness.  Poetry is much like that.  You need to have your tools in hand at the moment, do what you have to do to complete the image, hone it right -- for that instant, once presented in exactly that way, will never come again.      
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:35:27 PM by eric »