Author Topic: they're like that on the net  (Read 12641 times)

Offline Vienna

Re: they're like that on the net
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »

seem a bit angry today John? what's up lad?
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline oxymoron

• i love you as certain dark things are to be loved.
    • Blunt Force Honesty
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 11:12:27 AM »
Interesting discussion.

I chose oxymoron because I simply like the word. I also love the word serendipity.

Sometimes a username is just a reflection of an individual, besides what's in a name anyway? I could write my name: Sumeet S (ugly as it is) but it doesn't change as to how I respond as 'oxymoron' - at least for me any way - I respond and write poetry just as I would with or without my real name attached - of course when I publish I will use Simi S (its a little less ugly).

Now I've broken the rule of never revealing your real name on the internet (God knows what someone can do with it).  At least no knows my last name  =D Most sites ask for a username because of safety reasons - not because of 'insecurity'

8 years back, I used to have the screen name devilish angel (now to me that sounded cool - at the time), but looking back now - it really means nothing, just a 'cool' way to have some identification.

The only thing that bugs me about usernames are the ones that have ebonics or slang written all in them, like Mantofuckwit or GangstaNav ..and also - lil shorty ghetto princess - =)

"be original, you have two choices in life; you can dissolve into the mainstream or you can be distinct. to be distinct you must be different. to be different you must strive to be what no one else but you can be" - alan ashley-pitt

http://bluntforcehonesty.blogspot.ca/

Offline Lew Charles

• Never mistake motion for action
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »
I think we can all agree there are various reasons why people use a screen name, and one of them is John's - hell, sometimes I wish I'd used a screen name, ha ha. But I guess the poem's about more than that, it's about the bigger picture of poetry on the net.  
'The best things in life are free.'

Offline indar

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 11:42:11 AM »
Lived the first 60 years of my life in Minnesota but I just went to the bank robbery re-enactment in northfild this past summer. Ah those daring young men in their dusters on wild horses, six shooters blazing. Early on in my career as a poet (about 4 months ago) I wrote a poem that had six-shooters in it, I did. John, I'm convinced that if I keep plugging away I WILL learn how to write poetry but why would I submit something to a competition now? Wouldn't that be an act of hubris as much as calling myself Mam-I-am-bic? PS I love these names you're all coming up with. (up with which you are coming?)

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 11:47:53 AM »
(up with which you are coming?)

I think current usage panels, which are veering away from steadfast insistence that you cannot end a sentence with a preposition, would say that 'that you are coming up with' is the better form, on the basis that the complete verb would be 'to come up with'. If you really hate ending a sentence with a preposition, you'll have to find another verb that means the same thing ;) (eg 'inventing'?)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 11:48:06 AM »

seem a bit angry today John? what's up lad?

no, just passionate.  i hate seeing poetry ruined.  make no bones about it.  people see the most hellacious poetry in the world being praised to high heaven and these writers BELIEVE it and so they continue writing badly and therefore have no reason to improve and should there ever come a day when they DO try something legit, they're in for a rude awakening.  i've said enough.  kinda stirred the pot with this one, i guess!
gotta run.  i'm shampooing the rugs!

Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

http://www.epicrites.org/

twisted wheel

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »
like the poem john

midnight candle

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 03:55:28 PM »
sometimes even the obvious needs to be stated.  additionally, just yesterday i was talking with my publisher about the pros and cons involved with using the net to attract potential buyers for one's book(s).  it's a fine line you dance.  it DOES attract a good number of buyers or potential buyers for mine or anyone else's books that are out there.  just yesterday i learned my publisher had an order from Romania...a few months ago on of my earlier books was ordered from Iceland.  You can't get that kind of exposure without the net. and that would absolutely never happen if i were posting anonymously.  but, the other side of the coin is that it exposes my work to people who are content to read those poems that i choose to post on the net.  like i said, it's a fine line and something that i'm always concerned about.
take care.
john
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

Offline indar

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »
Turn it around John: if you didn't post on the net under your own name how many people who are content to read your offerings there would buy your book? Don't forget that you are also making educated readers out of a certain percentage of would-be writers. I, for one, have come to realise how difficult those "easy" poems of yours are.

twisted wheel

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 04:41:49 PM »
Turn it around John: if you didn't post on the net under your own name how many people who are content to read your offerings there would buy your book? Don't forget that you are also making educated readers out of a certain percentage of would-be writers. I, for one, have come to realise how difficult those "easy" poems of yours are.

the truth

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 04:49:54 PM »

exactly!  i mean, the part about a lot fewer people would be aware of my writings were it not for the net.  i can't BEGIN to tell you how the internet has helped me and a lot of other published writers reach new, untapped audiences.  that kind of proves my point.  kinda.  i think.  has anyone ever visited the site poetrycircle.com?  it's a serious site where new people are encouraged to use their real names and i'd say the vast majority comply.  the great UK poet (he's one of those few people that i would actually call poet) regularly struts his stuff there.  he uses the site as kind of a workbook, to get the kinks out of his poems before they go into his books.  although, if you asked me...his work NEVER has any flaws.  he's a real modern master.  man, we've had a really interesting conversation here, all started by that one stupid little poem.  way cool.
john

Offline indar

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 05:11:22 PM »
 :)

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »

twisted wheel

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »
would poetrycircle.com be beneficial for me john? i'm starting out and it states that writers need to be experienced.  :-\

but how is one to learn without seeing how others iron out kinks and cut crap

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 06:05:51 PM »
poetry circle can be tough.  the editors there (and i'm one of them, although i only signed on with the proviso that i only have to participate when and if it strikes me.  the other editors pretty much try and do something every day.  i can go for weeks without a word) ...like i was saying, the editors there can be very hard and are not above deleting a post if it's absolute crap.  there's even a spot called "rejected poems" that only the editors have access to.  but the editors are sharp.  many of them have worked in and around publishing and know their stuff.  however, getting advice on one's work from someone of the calibre of Milner Place is priceless!  please don't leave HERE, because there's a lot of good advice and intelligent observation to be found here, as well...it's always a wise thing to not put all yr eggs in one basket.
take care.
john