Author Topic: they're like that on the net  (Read 12642 times)

Offline John Yamrus

they're like that on the net
« on: November 11, 2009, 09:01:21 AM »
they’re like that .
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:46:20 AM by John Yamrus »
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

http://www.epicrites.org/

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
Re: they're like that on the net
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:31:36 AM »
Nah. I totally disagree with this. When I first came to this site, I used a screenname, and it was for security. The reason being that on a previous site I'd used my real name, and combined with the fact that my city was in my profile and other information I'd given out, someone was actually able to track me down. It really freaked me out, and it was a couple of years before I was able to put my real name (even just the first one) on a forum. (I've since chilled out and decided that using my real name can't hurt, as long as I keep my yap shut about other things like where I work and the area of town I live in and so on ;) )

Your logic just doesn't hold up - because also lots of people use a screenname but then post their real names (including surname) on their poems. and what about all the people who claim to have had their (often appalling) poetry published. I'm sure they did get published, but do you think they did it under the name 'MadWebPoet' or whatever? And the most critical bit of evidence - even people who use screen names instead of their real names can respond (and often do) as if their works are pure genius that cannot be tampered with. That doesn't suggest shame to me at all.

I think you've taken a personal dislike of screennames and extended it into a generalisation that suits. I don't think it's accurate at all though.
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:35:45 AM »
even people who use screen names instead of their real names can respond (and often do) as if their works are pure genius that cannot be tampered with. That doesn't suggest shame to me at all.

i disagree.  that proves my point.  they THINK their stuff is pure genius, but deep down inside they know the truth.  that's why IAMART will continue to post his or her schlock.
Since 1970 John's published 2 novels, 18 books of poetry, and had more than 1,300 poems published in mags around the world.   His new book, (his 20TH) called CAN'T STOP NOW! is available here:

Offline indar

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:38:44 AM »
Don't you like indar a whole lot better than linda? I think it sounds foreign and mysterious. If we can't play "let's pretend" on the internet what good is it?

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:46:25 AM »
Don't you like indar a whole lot better than linda? I think it sounds foreign and mysterious. If we can't play "let's pretend" on the internet what good is it?

well, the point is, there's a ton of people out there calling themselves "writers" and "poets", when in point of fact, that's exactly what they're doing...playing let's pretend.  and the only one they're fooling is their self.  i know that's hard.  but it's the truth.
jy

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »
Mmmm. I guess this is one of those 'agree to disagree' situations. I still think that anyone who calls themselves 'PoetMan' does so because he thinks he's a poet. He doesn't know anywhere, not even deep down, that really he's CrappyDoggerelAndShiteyRhymesMan.

And then there are people who use screen names because they don't want internet nutters tracking them down and are ultracautious. And then there are people like Linda, who, as she says, choose a name that they think sounds cooler than their real name (I have a lot of sympathy for that. It's only recently that I've stopped hating the name Amie ;) - but even if you don't actually hate your name, you might like the chance to use one you find more interesting sometimes).

And okay, yes, there are also those who might be ashamed or worried that their poetry isn't good enough. But those are usually the ones who deregister 5 seconds after someone tells them their poem isn't perfect, so you tend not to see much of them.

I think the majority of people use screennames instead of their real names for reasons other than you've stated in your poem.
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline eric

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
'course, john's making a poem, not a policy statement, but i have to agree with amie that most of the brillpoetman types out there are doing it just because they they're so stuffed full of themselves they can't leave off advertising the fact.  

john's point that pompous nommiker types may hide an inner insecurity is interesting, and possibly accurate, but it's too professional-psychologist and house-of-mirrors for me.  

i am not commenting about friends of mine like actpoet who just happen to have screen names.  because they're friends, i'm sure they do it for the right reasons.

amie's other point, about women being afraid that some stalker will actually track them down, whew, i am sure that plays a role.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »

My screen name is Vienna, simply where I live.

cheers

Richard Dalton

but I think some screen names are there to be hidden behind or "give an air of mystery" which i think is sad! Like I told a colleague of mine no matter how many tattoos, piercings you have, nevermind the green hair with a black stripe, a boring person remains a boring person.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:25:27 AM by vienna »
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline indar

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »
but I think some screen names are there to be hidden behind or "give an air of mystery" which i think is sad! .

Eeeek.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 10:41:03 AM »

eek as much as you want lol ;D

as we say it's just my humble opinion:(Very 'umble, very 'umble Master Copperfield. ...)

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline eric

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:42:18 AM »
Hm, which name sounds more made up, "Vienna" or "Richard Dalton?"  I would have to say the latter.  Right out of a James Bond movie, wouldn't you say?  Hm?

Offline Vienna

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 10:46:03 AM »

eric, I am one of the "Dalton Brothers"........retired from robbing banks etc a peaceful life here in Vienna know what I mean ;D

Offline eric

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 10:47:49 AM »
Hah!  Of course, I should have known!  Cheers.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 10:49:16 AM »

cheers eric

Offline John Yamrus

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
screen names don't bother me (much), it's those gr8wrytr things that get me.  and you're right.  they're ALWAYS very defensive when they get a crit that's real.  and they'll invariably respond: "i've posted things all over the net and people always love my stuff".  to which i think "yeah, but have you ever really competed?  ever ONCE submitted something to a magazine somewhere?"  i know lots of guys...lots of REAL writers who absolutely refuse to call themselves "poets" just because they don't want to get lumped in with the crowd.  interesting, huh?
gotta run.
john