Author Topic: Trusting people with your work  (Read 2630 times)

jriffey

Trusting people with your work
« on: January 17, 2006, 07:59:57 PM »
What's the best way to find a Publisher and Editor who I can trust?  I'm worried about getting involved with the wrong people.  I want to be able to have a very good relationship with who I work with so I can feel confident that my work is getting published the best and smartest possible way it can.

Thanks for the feedback!

Lin

Re: Trusting people with your work
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 03:30:28 AM »
Well I can recommend Suzie to you, our other site moderator, she has been really kind to me so far. She has a Phd in language and a masters in literature, she is Dr Suzanne Harris.    Why dont you e-mail her and ask her about her services, Im sure she can help you, she is presently editing my book and has found me a publisher!!

I agree with you about trusting someone with your work, that I found to be the hard part and I think its all about the work leaving your computer screen and passing on to someone whom you dont know and may never hear from again and the thought of your work sitting around inside a CD on someone's desk  is frustrating.  Talk to those in the know, Suzie and Nick are very experienced in this field and I am sure they would advise you on this very point.

I would certainly look around - please see my thread - Getting it Right First Time in The Writers Circle.  There it explains one or two things which are relevant to your question.
I have to say though that from my experience in the business world, you are in control and you do have a choice.   Recommendation is fine, but there is no finer way than shopping around and making comparisons and talking to other writers, generally gaining experience with time.  You have come to the right place.   Please read my thread in that forum and I wish you every success.

Lin

« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 04:47:34 AM by Lin »

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 03:50:01 AM »
As someone who has been in this business for quite a long time, I have to say that most of the publishers and editors I have worked with have been good, trustworthy people, and I count many of them now as personal friends.

But yes, in the past I have had dealings with a few people who have ripped me off or stabbed me in the back (metaphorically speaking). I guess it's the same in any field; you can't always tell immediately whom you can trust.

Lin's advice above is excellent, I think. Get personal recommendations from other people (maybe via this forum). Try to avoid getting in too deep with people you don't really know well. And trust your instincts - if something doesn't feel right, maybe you need to start asking a few more questions.

Nowadays I work mainly with a small-ish group of clients and colleagues, whom in many cases I have worked with for years. With new clients I like to test the water first, maybe taking on a small job to see how it goes (and if and when I get paid!). Nowadays, I appreciate, I am lucky in being able to pick and choose whom I work for. Obviously it's harder when you are first starting out. I think you need to undertake 'due diligence' with any new potential editor or publisher, therefore, but at the same time don't be too suspicious - most people in this business are not there to try to fleece you.

Hope this helps  :)

Nick
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

jriffey

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:19:11 PM »
I want to thank everyone here for their advice and posts.  This is my second day on the site and I've learned a lot so far.  I'm waiting for my "Novel in 28 days" in the mail.  I ordered yesterday when I first discovered it.  I don't normally buy things without looking into it first, but I've been so anxious to get going on writing.  After joining this group, I've found, very fast, that I had made the right decision. 

Thanks!