Author Topic: abbreviation  (Read 2370 times)

Offline chillies

abbreviation
« on: January 17, 2006, 01:59:40 PM »
I don't want to appear dim, but over the last week or so, I have noticed a tendancy for abreviation on this site.

What does LOL stand for? and if there are other abbreviations that you think I should know about, do please tell.

chillies

Lin

Re: abbreviation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:23:09 PM »
Hello Chillies,

Apologies for the abbreviations.  Its something I think that came from the MSN Messenger site.  LOL means 'Laugh out Loud' something we use to show emotion instead of tee hee or hee hee. There are many others which I feel are probably inappropriate for this forum. LOL is acceptable if you want to show someone you are joking or aren't serious about your comment, its a way of expressing your feelings.  Many of us who have used chat forums  in the past have used this form of abbreviation but it isnt by any means necessary.  Sometimes when you write,  it comes across differently from the way you speak, and often it can help a comment if you show you are being light hearted about it. This avoids misunderstandings. Its computerspeak! LOL   I hope that clears up your query.

Have a nice day and we look forward to receiving more of your questions and comments.

Regards
Lin