Poll

What are your petpeeves?

Inner critic (not good enough to be published)
8 (29.6%)
Not enough constructive feedback
3 (11.1%)
Not enough local writers groups
5 (18.5%)
Procrastination
10 (37%)
Rejection form letters
0 (0%)
Other
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Writer Pet Peeves  (Read 5535 times)

Offline Wordtraveler

• Keep the ink flowing!
    • Perspectives Magazine
Writer Pet Peeves
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »
What are your top complaints as a writer?  Feel free to expand on the poll choices.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
Re: Writer Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »
I really like the idea of being a writer, but the paperwork ... that's a problem.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline undeadpetals

• No pain, no gain
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:46:10 PM »
I like being a writer because it is a "quiet" approach to express my thoughts, but I dislike the difficulty as to make something I really like saying to myself, into something coherent and sensible for others to get, and enjoy. It is very easy, at least for me, to write something that sounds so bad than "Yes!"  :P
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." -Charlie Chaplin

Better to be stupid for a second than ignorant forever.

sliver of a shard

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »
Having days when I am just dying to write, but not a damn thing comes out.  :P Another is knowing that although I've got a thousand things to do (and should be doing them  ;) ), it won't hurt just to jot that little idea down. Before I know it, half the day's gone. 

Offline Chandara5

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 11:46:46 PM »
Grammar.  Why can't I just write a good plot, good characters, good dialogue and forget all the tech stuff?  LOL  ;D
Elizabeth Arroyo
My debut novel, THE SECOND SIGN, will be released February 7, 2013 by Sapphire Star Publishing
www.elizabetharroyo.com
www.chandarawrites.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/EArroyo5

Offline BookWhirl.com

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 03:02:41 AM »
Grammar.  Why can't I just write a good plot, good characters, good dialogue and forget all the tech stuff?  LOL  ;D
\

Sometimes, technicalities can be very much frustrating. But at end of every proofread, we realize that it was all worth it. The importance of setting writing standards is we will be to effectively relate to our readers. Don't worry, even the greatest authors need editors and proofreaders to edit their work. God bless and keep on writing!

Lin

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 03:47:46 AM »
I wish there were more writers groups in Holland.  I have to go down to the English Bookshop in Amsterdam to chat with like minded folks and when I did this I found most of them were poets and a genre I didnt understand.  Most of them were published authors.  No help for little me who is just starting out.  A bit intimidating I think.

Lin x

Offline BookWhirl.com

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:51:47 PM »
I wish there were more writers groups in Holland.  I have to go down to the English Bookshop in Amsterdam to chat with like minded folks and when I did this I found most of them were poets and a genre I didnt understand.  Most of them were published authors.  No help for little me who is just starting out.  A bit intimidating I think.

Lin x

That's alright. It's okay to get intimidated. Just use your experience as your motivation to learn more and to improve on your craft. I'm sure great authors were also once intimidated.  :) Don't quit to be diligent in polishing your writing, you'd get on top of the niche really soon. 

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
I wish there were more local writing groups. We have a critique group, but it does little to help anyone looking for freelance writing assignments, as it spends all its time finding and discussing faults in the monthly submissions!

I also wish I had more solitary time to write. I have found I cannot write when someone is looking over my shoulder!  I don't mind sharing what I've written, after I have written it ... criticism is healthy. But it drives me crazy to have someone standing and watching while I write! 

(and it upsets my wife when I tell her that)!  ::) ;)
web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron

Offline grandandshadow

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 07:30:52 AM »
I have a similar pet peeve to that, herron. People talking to me while I write is something that gets to me. I adore my best friend, she's like a sister and I don't think there is a day in five years we haven't talked for 12+ hours (it's an online thing, Skype is wonderful. Heh.) However, when I'm writing, I find myself gritting my teeth constantly when she jumps into a topic about something Derek Jeter from the Yankees is doing or some other un-related topic.

I love the Yankees myself, but I really can't hear about drafting and off-season news when I'm trying to concentrate on getting a paragraph finished. Sadly, I'm too nice to say "can you please save this for later? I'm busy trying to get George to tell Mary about his dream last night."

Another pet peeve of mine is that blasted low self-esteem of mine. "Your writing is child's scribble compared to Alice's" or "This really sounds lame, they're only saying it's good to save my feelings."

Also, being on another writing forum for Fanfiction for a few years now, it's the lack of constructive feedback. It's always "I love it! update soon!" and it's irritating. Not that I don't appreciate it, I do. But it's just so...short. They can't have loved everything about it, then it goes back to the self-esteem thing and I start wondering if I'm not challenging the readers enough, that my writing is too simple for them to keep them on the edge of their seats and have something more to say about it. It's a vicious cylce.

That, and I'm a grammar Nazi. Usually only of my own work, or I silently edit other's sentences and not say anything.

twisted wheel

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 07:41:28 AM »
mine is the inner critic. i think i'm not good enough to be published. other people see my own work with better eyes than i do. why is that?

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 09:48:14 AM »
For the same reason your voice sounds different when it's recorded. When you are speaking, you hear your voice both externally and internally--filtered through the bone and tissue of your head. The rest of the world can only hear the external portion, so both your natural speaking voice and the recording will sound the same to them.

When you write, the rest of the world only sees the final polished draft and judges you on that basis. You see the same thing they see but it's filtered through a lifetime of self-doubt and insecurity and memories of that crappy first draft. What you see as a flaw, they see as a style choice. No matter how many books you sell, this never goes away, so get used to it and find a good editor.  :)
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline Wordtraveler

• Keep the ink flowing!
    • Perspectives Magazine
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 11:13:25 AM »
Don86usa, I love your explanation! Thanks for posting.

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »
I put the writing group down. I know of none in my area. However at the same time I like being a self taught writer and not learning from others, it will give me that extra sense of achievement when I eventually get published. (Thought I would try some positive thinking there instead of saying 'if' I get published :P)
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline ChanceBentlee

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »
I also have some of these pet peeves, and I want to get rid of them. That is why I have hired a denver dog trainer to help me. Do you guys think this will be a useful experience for me?