Author Topic: Very nearly Nano Time again (2009)  (Read 81795 times)

Offline Diver

Re: Very nearly Nano Time again (2009)
« Reply #375 on: January 22, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »
For those of you still reading this thread, I feel compelled to tell you there are only 343 shopping days left until Christmas--still plenty of time to get me something nice.  ;D

Heh!   ;D  

The whole 'motivate each other' thing worked so well in November, we're just trying to keep each other going. I figure after devoting a month of my life to such an effort I want to see a real product result from it.  You're right, though, at some point we'll have to let this die and move onto next year's NaNo. Maybe by October  :D

I'm still working on mine; not as often or as much as I would like. But I'm not giving up on it.
Good for you, Alice!  Keep pushing on it.

Offline eric

« Reply #376 on: January 22, 2010, 08:54:25 PM »
Just for your information, Don tells me there is also this thing called "life."  By the way, I'll be retiring in 2015.  If the preparation for last year's NANO is still going on then, suggest you break long enough for a trip to the mall.   Maybe you can find something nice and put it on layaway ... till 2053 or so.  I'm sure you'll still be preparing for 11/09 then.

Offline Diver

« Reply #377 on: January 22, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »
yeah, thanks for that, Eric  ;D  Don't worry, it's not actually NaNo PREP anymore. It's taking those 50,000 + words we did reach and making them 'submission worthy' (or in my case, moderately coherent  :P). We just were too lazy to start another thread. Plus, who'd have thought anyone but us few foolish souls brave and devoted NaNo writers would still be reading it by January?   

Offline kk

• Sweetwater Lane
« Reply #378 on: January 23, 2010, 07:48:07 AM »
So, I guess Nano never really ends, does it? I'm a little worried that year after year one could just blend into another, then another,
then another...

the outcome of that is too frightening so I'm motivated to get this year's revisions done long before the 2010 Nano.

I've just started revising, really, and like Diver, I'm beefing up the beginning. I also need to do a lot of research, so
if anyone has expertise on Lublin, Poland in 1940,  16th century English monks, or the Navajo nation now and in the mid 1800s,
I could use your help  ;)

I like being able to check in here from time to time to see how the nano participants are doing.  Thanks D-

kk
“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.”

~ Edith Lovejoy Pierce

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #379 on: January 23, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »
So, I guess Nano never really ends, does it? I'm a little worried that year after year one could just blend into another, then another,
then another...

the outcome of that is too frightening so I'm motivated to get this year's revisions done long before the 2010 Nano.

Life's like that sometimes ;-)  The seasons come, the seasons go, the business of life gets in the way.  Then the frosting of age appears in your hair, and you still haven't finished that book you started with a rush of mad enthusiasm at eighteen.  So you set a few days aside, dust off the yellowed typewritten pages, throw out half of it, link up what's left with a cursory nod to the changes in the world since it was first written, then sell what could have been a 'cutting edge' book forty years ago as a 'gentle nostalgic e-book.

But I suspect that if anyone has been working steadily on a book for some 'forty odd' years they don't really want to ever finish it.  They're probably more like a gardener, weeding, tending, sometimes replacing, but always working towards a distant target they've probably no desire to actually reach.

I dare say some NANO novels are destined to be like this, based on an idea the writer wants to explore rather than a tale with a burning need to be told.  Once the pressure cooker atmosphere of November has passed such ideas slip back into slow-cooker mode ;-) 

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #380 on: January 23, 2010, 01:23:16 PM »
I dare say some NANO novels are destined to be like this, based on an idea the writer wants to explore rather than a tale with a burning need to be told.  Once the pressure cooker atmosphere of November has passed such ideas slip back into slow-cooker mode ;-)

While others whip them into submission through editing and re-editing until it's ready for the next step - publishing.

It may be a small percentage, (I'm not sure and too lazy to check it out just now) but there are a lot of books that were started in NaNo that made it all the way to the bookshelves.

If that is your goal and you're willing to put in the work needed, your NaNo book may join them.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Diver

« Reply #381 on: January 23, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »
If that is your goal and you're willing to put in the work needed, your NaNo book may join them.

From your lips to an agent or publishers ear, Alice!  ;D  That's my goal, anyway - now I just have to really try to make it happen.

Offline Jakey

• Sometimes words fail me. Sometimes I fail words.
« Reply #382 on: January 23, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »
You and me both, Diver.

Funny how motivating it is knowing someone else out there is also pushing for the ultimate goal of being published.

Jakey
one two three...testing testing...one two three...

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #383 on: January 23, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »
Please don't think I'm advocating letting it slip, just saying that some will, and demonstrating that some ideas can not only survive but recover from the neglect of years with a little concentrated application.

As some of the Americans allegedly say, "Git 'er done!"

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

• Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »
I've just discovered something that I did without thinking about it at the time and thought it might help others when they reach a 'sticky' spot in their writing.

I was going along, writing the story when I reached a large spot that needed more than I could give it at the moment. Some of it was due to needing to do some research that can probably be done online but I didn't want to take the time for that at the moment. Some of it needed personal interviews type information with a vet - again, I didn't want to take the time just then.

So I changed my text color to a bold red, something I knew I couldn't miss when I went back over it.  One spot I made a bold green because it was very different from the other spots needing fill.

But the thing that caught me by surprise was that while doing this, labeling different spots with character names, I had started writing again.

I mean, I was writing the story again, action, dialog, everything.

There were large sections I have now turned black again. Made me feel good.

I don't mean they will not need editing later on, but they work, they move the story forward.

I'm happy with my accidental writing.  ;)
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline kk

• Sweetwater Lane
« Reply #385 on: January 28, 2010, 05:28:43 PM »
Yay for you Alice.

Accidental, on purpose, in a dream...

I'll take it (writing) any way I can get it!

Carry on!

kk
“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.”

~ Edith Lovejoy Pierce

• Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #386 on: January 28, 2010, 05:50:23 PM »
So will I KK, so will I.

Speaking of dreams, I woke from a dream once with a totally new character I had dreamed up.

I go back occasionally and read the notes I made at the time, but haven't found his story yet.  I hope it comes to me because I really like the him.

-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Diver

« Reply #387 on: February 16, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »
OK, just seeing if anyone else is still grinding away ...

And how is it I somehow managed to put 50,000+ words to paper in a month, yet now, almost 3 months later, am just still slowly and intermittently working on my first 4 chapters?  :P  It will be next NaNo before I get halfway through at this rate.

By the way, March is 'unofficial' NaNoEdMo; not run by the NaNo folks (Chris Baty, et al) but they do have a link from their website over to the NaNoEdMo site:

www.nanoedmo.net

The basic premise is 50 hours of editing (not researching or planning) in March -- anything from complete rewrites to basic spelling and grammar.

I'm thinking about it, especially if I can't kick myself into higher gear over the next couple weeks on my own.
Anyone else?

Offline kk

• Sweetwater Lane
« Reply #388 on: February 16, 2010, 05:17:25 AM »
Hi Diver,
Yes, I'm still grinding away, at a snail's pace too. I have put random chapters out
to readers here and there, and overall have been getting positive feedback, so that
is motivating me to get more serious about my revisions. I am also thinking about
getting busy with things like a synopsis and query letters.

I have a week off coming up and hope to put in a lot of hours then. I also have
the summer off so hope that will be the time I need. My goal is to have the bulk of
the revisions done before next November because I definitely want to try Nanowrimo
again.

Keep at it - it can be done.

kk

~ Edith Lovejoy Pierce

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #389 on: February 16, 2010, 08:24:15 AM »
I whipped all the disjointed bits into order a few weeks ago (because chunks of it were written out of sequence) but haven't touched it since.  But I've not done much of anything serious over the last few weeks.  January and February are always 'slow' months for me.  Physically I'm nearly always a bit 'down' at this time of year, running in survival mode rather than tackling the world head-on.

However, the folder containing the print-out slipped off the crowded shelf the other day, so I guess that was a sign the story is getting restless even if I'm not.  Yet! ;-)

Gyppo