Author Topic: first record you ever purchased  (Read 5583 times)

Offline howardgary_88

Re: first record you ever purchased
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 08:30:34 AM »
Apetite for destruction- Guns N Roses

Offline daydreamer

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »
My first album was The Best of the 5th Dimension.  I was about 15 when I purchased it. The thing I remember the most is being so excited. 

Offline Pocahontas

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 10:28:50 PM »
"It's my party" by Petula Clark

Does that make me old????    ;D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 06:12:50 AM »
"It's my party" by Petula Clark

Does that make me old????    ;D

Not necessarily.  You didn't specify when you purchased it ;-)  It could have been yesterday.

The first record I truly remember buying was probably 'Legend of Xanadu' by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick, and Titch.  There were a couple of one shilling ex jukebox records before that - those with a big hole in the middle which required the insertion of a plastic 'spider' in order to play them on a normal machine - but I'm not sure what they were, apart from cheap ;-)

Long before that I used to buy cardboard boxes full of old 78s from jumble sales for a few pence (sometimes I'd get them free if I hung around until the end) and drag them back to the caravan on my little trolley.  Then we softened them up in the oven and made fruitbowls, or containers for 'moss gardens' which I hawked from door to door.

I often wonder what priceless collector's gems we destroyed in the quest for a few bob.  Guess I did my bit to keep prices up for those which survived ;-)

Gyppo   
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline psyche

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 02:27:26 PM »
I spent my Christmas money one year on my first two albums, Chicago 17 and Thriller.  :)
If music be the food of love, play on" ~ Shakespeare

http://psychedelicate.wordpress.com/

Offline dynodreamer

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »
After racking my brain on the matter, I keep coming back to the thought that the first piece of vinyl was Alvan and the Chipmunks.
Can't think I bought it for myself. I'd have to say it was something by the Everly Brothers.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isnít any - Yogi Berra
[Ask a Doctor when he feels he might quit practicing Medicine and work on theory!]

Offline Opus

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 05:38:27 AM »

Offline alienauthor

• Fascination lingers behind the shades!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 04:21:59 PM »
Elan by Firefall 8)
Love an Adventure! Live an adventure!  Then write the damned thing!