1 (6.3%)
Another Day Alive, Another Day of Misery
3 (18.8%)
Watch out for Acronyms
2 (12.5%)
Good Deeds Gone Wrong
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Flash Fiction #10 Voting  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Wildcard

Flash Fiction #10 Voting
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:09:35 PM »
Dreaming

Calliope wasn't supposed to end up a Welfare Mom. She wasn't even supposed to be a mom, but that one careless afternoon ended all her dreams.

She'd left Julliard, but she still yearned to write a BALLET. Her son slept in the next room, whimpering in his dreams. It was so hot in this apartment. The windows were open; but the screens torn. Several FLIES buzzed around the room as she attempted to compose. She could hear the music in her head as she burned the MIDNIGHT oil. All she wanted was AN HONEST CHANCE. She still dared to dream.

Another Day Alive, Another Day of Misery

Jerry squirmed under his cardboard blanket in the freezing Chicago air. The only thing good about winter weather was the FLIES behind the dumpster that the homeless man lived seemed to disapear, probably seeking warmth as well. Usualy music from the BALLET that was performed nightly at the theatre across the street drowned out the noise of the city, but now the building sat like a decaying corpse, empty and lifeless. Most of the city looked the same way ever since the stock market crashed.A clock rang MIDNIGHT somewhere in the distance, Jerry sighed " I made it another day."

Watch out for Acronyms.

It was AN HONEST CHANCE. The billboard proclaimed the event of the year ‘FLIES MIDNIGHT BALLET’. In smaller letters ‘Auditions at noon – 30th February 2011 – at the Mandalay Roadhouse - All welcome’.  I had two hours.
Nellie, my Mom, had unpacked her trunk earlier that morning so I knew everything would be available. I dashed home, ears flapping in the wind, eager to share my news. Mom made a fuss, as usual, straightening the edges of my tutu and combing my nose hairs but I knew she wanted me to greatly impress those at the Fat Little Indian Elephant’s Society.

Good Deeds Gone Wrong

All I ever asked for was AN HONEST CHANCE, not a lot you would have thought. Yet here I was at MIDNIGHT watching the crowd gather like FLIES round a cowpat, waiting for me to do the BALLET of death from the end of a noose. I’d had lots of dishonest chances in my life, temptation had a way of finding me, but the first time the other kind came my way, finito. As I handed over the crown jewels to the watch, I’d found them where Captain Kidd had thrown them, I was recognized, a highwayman and a murderer.

Thanks to everyone who entered a story, each of them are great. Good luck to you guys.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:11:21 PM by Wildcard »

Offline howardgary_88

Re: Flash Fiction #10 Voting
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:08:54 PM »
Come on people vote!!!!!

Offline Wildcard

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »
Also, could i have a mod sticky this, and take down "Flash Fiction Challenge #10", thanks.

DwWin

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 06:07:50 AM »
Hi Wildcard,

what's the closing date for the voting?

Offline Wildcard

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 05:40:14 PM »
Oh, sorry about that, probably should have said earlier. I'm gonna close it on the 26th.