Author Topic: Hey Everyone! I'm new!  (Read 7978 times)

Offline JoD

• Anything Worth Doing: A true story of adventure, friendship and tragedy on the last of the West's great rivers: available in June.
Re: Hey Everyone! I'm new!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 12:37:10 PM »
welcome ri : )
The last of the West's great wild rivers. A handmade dory. And two men, determined to live their dreams -- at any cost. ANYTHING WORTH DOING. http://www.jodeurbrouck.com/

Offline H.W.Bones

• ~ http://www.howardbones.blogspot.com ~
    • The Life and Times of H.W. Bones
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 08:35:52 PM »
Hello and welcome  ;D

H.W.Bones

Offline Ri

• books, music, magic, Avatar!
    • the spotted mushroom
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »
thank you, both :)

care to join in the avatar discussion?
I'm all for firenation  ;D

Either of you know the show or have preferece?
~~ And in those deepest hours

When nary a soul's awake

I sit before my squeaking desk

And magic do I make   ~~

Offline H.W.Bones

• ~ http://www.howardbones.blogspot.com ~
    • The Life and Times of H.W. Bones
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
I'd love to but can't say I've heard of it! Musn't have hit Australia yet. Although I vaugely remember hearing something about a Avatar movie being released, same thing?

Offline JoD

• Anything Worth Doing: A true story of adventure, friendship and tragedy on the last of the West's great rivers: available in June.
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:53 PM »
nope, never heard of Avatar. but i'm a poor consumer of tv. bout all we do with the picture box in this house is watch via netflix dvds old Dr. Who episodes (the remake, not the originals). when we get through with those, i guess we'll look for another series. should i look at that one?
The last of the West's great wild rivers. A handmade dory. And two men, determined to live their dreams -- at any cost. ANYTHING WORTH DOING. http://www.jodeurbrouck.com/

Offline Ri

• the spotted mushroom
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 11:42:01 PM »
nope, never heard of Avatar. but i'm a poor consumer of tv. bout all we do with the picture box in this house is watch via netflix dvds old Dr. Who episodes (the remake, not the originals). when we get through with those, i guess we'll look for another series. should i look at that one?

Avatar is beast. Look into it. It's great for a couple of reasons. First, it has excellent art. If you have ever seen an anime movie, it is similar to that because the animation is superb and the detail and quality of the show is amazing. Really. Second, it's got a great plot. Unlike so many crappy shows out there, this is almost like watching a movie. It's got a good script; the acting is great (the characters are good from the beginning, unlike some shows where it takes a couple of seasons for actors to get into character). Honestly, I can't think of any other show that is anything like this in terms of quality and levels of interestingness.

And the best part is it isn't only for kids. It was made for the nickelodeon channel, but the characters have such depth and the show is so well done that pretty much anyone can enjoy it.

We don't watch a lot of TV in my house either, but everyone in my entire family made time for Avatar. The first season is available on Netflix instant, so you can try it out there. The rest is rentable from Netflix as well.

When nary a soul's awake

And magic do I make   ~~

Offline Ri

• the spotted mushroom
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 11:43:11 PM »
I'd love to but can't say I've heard of it! Musn't have hit Australia yet. Although I vaugely remember hearing something about a Avatar movie being released, same thing?

The movie is based on the show, but it looks like it won't be nearly as good. You should try watching it, thought. It's great for all ages and any person. It's addicting in a good way! ;D

When nary a soul's awake

And magic do I make   ~~

Offline JoD

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 08:53:05 AM »
thanks, ri. i'll look at it. i've only watched a little anime but i liked it...liked the look as well as the whole concept of handling sophisticated or troubling or 'serious' themes via animation.

Offline animerurisa231995

• Heartprints
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 09:48:17 AM »
Yaho!!

Hi Ri. I'm new as well in the Writers Circle. I've read quite a number of posts here and I'm starting to like the idea :) Hopefully I can read your posts and you can do the same with mine :)

Welcome and happy writing!!
~If I lived for a hundred years, I'd write hundreds worth~
~If I lived forever, I'd make history~
~But since I can't, I'll start small~

Offline eric

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »
Hi Ri.  You sound like a hoot.  Jo, what's this about watching the remake of Dr. Who?  I mean, what has the world come to?  The original Dr. Who was so cool.  I mean, remakes?  Help me out here.  I having a generational crisis.

Offline JoD

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 09:57:55 AM »
Hi Ri.  You sound like a hoot.  Jo, what's this about watching the remake of Dr. Who?  I mean, what has the world come to?  The original Dr. Who was so cool.  I mean, remakes?  Help me out here.  I having a generational crisis.

the original dr. who WAS cool. but modern special effects (and more contemporary social satire) trumps old loyalties every time, eric.

in one of the episodes i watched recently, this heavy-handed american president shows up and tries to take over what he believes is first contact with aliens. he looks remarkably like a cowboy and acts like a cop. it doesn't go well for him. VERY funny. : )

Offline eric

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 10:02:51 AM »
i dunno.  the characterization in that original series was just so good.  i can't quite see how special effects and contemporary social things really can replace that.  it's like making a sitcom out of the Odyssey.  But if ri's right, we've both been superseded by anime!

Offline JoD

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 10:13:52 AM »
i dunno.  the characterization in that original series was just so good.  i can't quite see how special effects and contemporary social things really can replace that.  it's like making a sitcom out of the Odyssey.  But if ri's right, we've both been superseded by anime!

sweetie, the old dr. who was a sitcom too....

Offline eric

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 10:15:10 AM »
 :D  yeah, but it was very Greek.   :D :D

Offline JoD

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »
geek, did you say?