Author Topic: frustration (profanity)  (Read 12176 times)

Offline Biola

• Creation swings on the axis of LOVE
Re: frustration
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 02:02:46 PM »
oops! yuck! the owls came for dinner and they served bats!
keel over in a faint!
I know which part of the street you were coming from?
how red did you get?
biola :o
we learn every day if we want. check my blog http://biola-ephesus-ephesus.blogspot.com, Ephesus@Wordpress.com
buy my books, BLOOD CONTRACT,NUMEN YEYE at amazon.com

Offline Victor

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 12:39:45 PM »
oh....what was that.....? :o :-[ ;D
And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. -ECCLESIASTES 1:17

Offline dcraigie

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 03:34:02 PM »
Interesting to note this poem has not been censored given scum erradiation was.

I am not in favour of any type of censorship and think  Scum erradication should have stayed.

Any poem has the potential to upset someone or find the subject matter distasteful I.e. cutting, sex  or the strong use of bad language but these appear to be OK yet scum  erradication is not hmmmmm.

Its a slippery slope,  where will it all stop people should be free to decide what they read or not, if you dont like dont read it. If you are concerned about kids reading poems like Scum erad then what about this poem or those explicitly sexual or on cutting, there plenty on here, smacks of double standards.

The Internet has opened the box for all to look inside.

Offline Hugh

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 03:55:02 PM »
Interesting to note this poem has not been censored given scum erradiation was. .      

What "poem"?  This is supposed to be a writers' site, not a lavatory wall.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:08:23 PM by Hugh »

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
This is supposed to be a writers' site

and as such will have room for all kinds of stuff not just a subset as defined by those holier than thou types that think they know best.
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline eric

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 05:45:14 PM »
Indeed, Mark.  I would also like to point out that there are no obscene words in this poem.  The fuck and shit words are both expressions of frustration, not sexual or scatological references.  This poem is not abusive or degrading, and it is very funny.  It also evokes an emotion in the mind of the typical reader that is different from the words used on the page.  A successful poem, I'd say, by all accounts of interest to me.  In fact, a very good one.

Offline Hugh

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 05:22:01 AM »
Sorry, I didnít realise you have to be one of the elite to be allowed to voice an opinion as to whether something is poetry or merely words arranged in a certain way.

And yes, Eric, they are Old English words going back at least to the sixteenth century in their present form. As you will know, fuck was considered taboo from then until the twentieth, when Ulysses, and particularly the Lady Chatterleyís Lover court case opened the floodgates for explicit sex and obscene language in published writing. The word was even excluded from all English language dictionaries until Penguin included it in 1965.   

I agree that the words have now become mere expletives, and remember with fondness a posh lady, who wouldnít dream of using such a word to describe a bodily function, exclaim: ďOh shit. Iíve trodden in some doggie poo.Ē

And Mark, Iím not holy, let alone holier than anyone else. Nor do I think I know best. Iím just an ordinary bloke who happened express an opinion. In future Iíll keep well away from the poetry corner if you are going to be so touchy about comments that donít fit in with your views.

Hugh

Offline Mark H

• Middleclass Machismo now available.
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 06:31:55 AM »
Hugh

There are some very good guidelines on how to crit poetry submissions. And here's one easy rule to remember ... DO NOT tell a poet that his work is not poetry just because you don't like it.

You may not be holier than thou, but your post on this thread was a good impression of being so. How on earth you can say that V's work belongs on the lavatory wall then have the temerity to post

Iím just an ordinary bloke who happened express an opinion.

as if that's OK. Is it Hugh? If I crit a piece of your prose and say, "this is not prose it's just unsophisticated twaddle that should only be found on the kindergarten blackboard" then justify it as opinion, is that OK with you?

I confess I did enjoy the OTT toys out the pram gesture

In future Iíll keep well away from the poetry corner if you are going to be so touchy about comments that donít fit in with your views.

:D :D

Mark, touch? ROFL.
Buy Bristle Side Down, The Man Who Wore Brown Shoes and Middleclass Machismo here:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=570142

If poetry is not your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueM04F0Qz8 or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Zm8cj9MGg

Offline Hugh

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 01:28:56 PM »
If I crit a piece of your prose and say, "this is not prose it's just unsophisticated twaddle that should only be found on the kindergarten blackboard" then justify it as opinion, is that OK with you?

Yes, perfectly OK. I would assume it was your honest opinion that something Iíd written was puerile, ask myself why you thought it childish and trivial, and try to re-write it into something a grown-up might enjoy reading Ė or abandon it as a futile attempt to be funny and try something else.

íAfraid I had to google what ROFL means, being an old git whoís new to computer speak.

Iím quite happy to shake hands and agree to differ on what can reasonably be called a poem, and go on my way, trying to avoid the temptation to click on Poetry Corner to see if thereís anything that appeals.

Pax
Hugh

Offline Akeith (Gray)

• Waiting for a drink...
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 01:56:32 PM »
What does "ROFL" mean, by the way. My git is old, too.  :D

Offline eric

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »
No it's not, you're still young enough to be Hugh's bastard child.  "Rolling on (the) floor laughing"

Offline Akeith (Gray)

• Waiting for a drink...
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 02:19:55 PM »
Oh...ok...kool that.
So, now what's this thread about and who's it?

Offline almostabled1983

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 03:14:46 PM »
This is amusing.
It's not what you know. It's who you know.

mlambere

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 03:41:22 PM »
pmsl

Offline Victor

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 10:40:17 AM »
damn

damn

damn

hell.

And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. -ECCLESIASTES 1:17