Author Topic: A useful tip as alternative to writing software  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Wurzzlegummidge

A useful tip as alternative to writing software
« on: May 13, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »
For those who do not want to spend a fortune on writing software, you will be surprised what XP can provide for you. For example in powerpoint, you can create electronic indiex cards/a slide show with bulleted points for your planning then use the frames in Word or Document Map for a more detailed workout. The sky is your limit. Just a thought  Regards Wurzzlegummidge

Offline PhilosophiX

Re: A useful tip as alternative to writing software
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 02:32:45 AM »
There is also a guy called Simon Haynes who writes the Hal Spacejock series of books and offers for free the software he created to help himself write. It's certainly worth a look and is called yWriter.

http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter.html

Offline Jackster

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 09:27:05 AM »
Good tips guys - I have tried some software for writing and the problem is that with software, it has its limitations in creativity.  I myself have put together Excel spreadsheets with sheets on character profile, storyboards, issues, tasks, timelines, etc . . . and have used Power Point to list my chapters in visual form.  The problem with writing software is that it is written by people who have a certain approach to writing, which as we all know, by definition, is unlike anyone else's.

By the way, I have to put a plug here for Nick Daws course - 28 days to write a book - it helped me get going and made me realize that I didn't have to spend 15 months on design before I start writing - on my 4th novel he put me 7-8 months ahead of where I would have been!  Thanks Nick!

Jack.

Offline Troo

• Pantechnicon Editor
    • Trudi Topham
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:02:06 AM »
Having said that, of course, Microsoft Office is not free and does not come as standard with Windows XP. So it's not exactly a cheap alternative to anything, with Office Standard coming in at around 300 and Office Pro hitting upwards of 370.

Final Draft is excellent for screenplays and index cards, but then physical index cards with pen and ink work far better than any electronic version. Again, not a cheap piece of software.

Install Linux. Use StarOffice. Completely free, and with all the functionality of MS Office. Now there's a cheap alternative ;)
Trudi Topham
Editor, Pantechnicon eZine.

Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror stories, articles, news and reviews. Issue one available now!

URL: http://www.pantechnicon.net
E-Mail: Editors@pantechnicon.net

Offline Billingsgate

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 08:47:02 AM »
The completely free alternative to Microsoft Office, which will run on Windows or Macintosh, is Open Office: http://www.openoffice.org. It is an advanced suite of applications just like MS Office and is can open and save files in both its own and Microsoft formats, including a PowerPoint-like program. Not specifically a program for writers. But if you're looking for an excellent word processor that is completely free, check it out.

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 04:26:57 PM »
That's the first I've heard of such writing software! I didn't know anything existed to help with writing.  I am very disorganised though. I wish I was more organised and planned a lot more - maybe I will in future; it can only help