Author Topic: similes and metaphors  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Xerika

• View Profile
    • Rob Johnson - writing, podcasting and reluctantly olive farming
Re: similes and metaphors
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 07:34:12 PM »
eric, splendid idea.  ;D  With regard to your return plane ticket for yourself and the aforementioned girlfriend, that's no problem at all. I shall simply inform the Greek authorities of your 'unfortunate incident with the goat in the night-time' (as I believe the media dubbed it at the time) and have you deported.

I have passed on your good wishes to Brigadier Buffy, who was a tad miffed that you addressed him as 'Commander'. I can't recall his exact words, but they were something along the lines of: "Blighter thinks I'm a ruddy sailor, does he? Tell the damned scoundrel to take his fiver and..." I didn't quite catch the end of the sentence, but I got the impression that you might want to look elsewhere for advice on financial investments.
http://rob-johnson.org.uk/ - writing, podcasting and reluctant olive farming

"I'd Rather Eat My Own Face" podcast. The truth about olive harvesting. http://wp.me/p2bC2C-8U

"If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it." - Elmore Leonard

Offline eric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »
 :D  Well, I thought of calling the old kumquat Sir Commandant, but I knew that couldn't be right because his jacket never glowed in the dark to my knowledge, and I just could not remember the quaint Britishism "Brigadier."  Ah well, I guess I'm five to the good, then.  Tell the old bounder we'll meet again someday.

So you actually became aware of that unfortunate incident, what?   Yes, maybe I should reconsider that plan.  Well, that also you might notice in the future, if the Retsina allows you, that is.

Now, have we completely answered the question posed by this thread, whatever it is?

Offline redmeat73

• Luke and Lilly - my little sausages.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »
Now i've found a topic on metaphors and similies, does anyone have any hint, tips or methods to unpick both. I know i use them but it must be without really knowing how, etc. I hate not knoing how and why.

Matt..
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...

Wolfe

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »
Allow me a brief moment to offer some insight.

The reason why it's recommended to avoid similes and metaphor is because new writers tends to use the cliches.

For example:

1. Green as grass
2. High as a kite
3. Avoid like the plague

You get the idea. If you're in doubt, check Review My Work and look specifically for similes and metaphors. Chances are (pun intended) it'll be a cliche.

As long as you know to avoid the cliches, similes and metaphor use is encouraged. In fact, publishing wants your similes and metaphor to be so good that they'll be the next generation of cliches.

Cliches have to start somewhere.

Wolfe

Offline redmeat73

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 01:43:33 PM »
Cheers mate. I have been hunting the secret formula for metaphors for about 12 solid. Sod it, I'll trust my gut and learn as i go.

Matt..

Offline Boshman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
Had a good giggle reading this thread but ''Her thighs, squeezed into silver leggings, looked like cottage cheese wrapped in cling-film.' - Ewwww!

Not an image you want to hold on to as you fall asleep.  :'(

Offline redmeat73

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »
Right, I'm more than likely I'm being nieave but here goes. After a few days reading a million metaphors and making a right mess of a few of my own, I've decided that unless you create one so good you jump from your chair and run about your house screaming "WOOTINI", the chances are it'll suck. Like i said, I'm more than likely so far wide of the make that I can no longer see it.

Matt..

thatollie

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 03:46:24 AM »
I rarely use similes and metaphors, they don't really seem useful to me.