Author Topic: Writers Software  (Read 6236 times)

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
Writers Software
« on: January 15, 2006, 03:27:18 PM »
Writers software, what about it? Does it work? Is it helpful? :-\

The first thought I had when I started writing again was to get words on  paper, or in my case, on the blank white screen. My second thought was, “I’ll bet someone’s come up with some software for writers.” I had questions I needed answers to, and no real good place to start. I just had to surf the net, a daunting task I may add. So maybe this little dissertation will help a newbie or two. Maybe some of the pro’s on this site have words of wisdom about their favorite writers software.
         When I was a newbie, about a year ago now, hehe, ;D I searched the Internet for software that would help me structure my writing, something that would hopefully guide me along the way. There were tons of sites. They all offered to turn me into a published writer in no time at all and with very little work on my part. All I had to do was fill in the blanks and write the story.
         Well, after much searching, I found one that seemed to be organized somewhat along the same lines as the way my warped mind works. It was Story Weaver 3 from Storymind. It wasn’t very expensive so I bought it, loaded into my computer and went to work. I have to say that it did help me along the way. It got me started. Then I found myself feeling restricited by the structured format .
         I went looking on the internet again. This time I found a free software program that sounded good, so I tried it. It's called yWriter2 and is put out by Spacejock Software. He also has a peachy little submissions tracker program, free as well, that I use. You may find this, and more, at www.spacejock.com. I uploaded yWriter2 about 9 months and 10k words ago. It, along with Rough Draft, have become my primary writing tools now. I don’t ever use Story Weaver anymore, but as I said, it was good to get me started.  ;D Aelf 
P.S. do you use a writers software program? If so, why? If not, why not?

Offline prophetcharlesb

Re: Writers Software
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:24:43 PM »
I have been looking around for writers software and man there is a kaziiiiilion of em. Im not sure what type to consider. I notice there is eBook programs too. I am just getting serious about turning loose of my writings and now stumped with the software/program issue. I know one thing I don't have a room big enough to hold all the computers it would take to download free software and/or trial software. I know I could sure use some input in this area.

"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley

Offline aelfwin

• The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 11:11:54 PM »
Hi prophetcharlesb, When I looked for free software, I downloaded them one at a time, used them for a while, and if they didn't do what I wanted them to do, I uninstalled them. I went through four or five before I found Ywriter2. I wish I had taken note of the other ones I tried, I could pass the names along to you. I have 3 programs I use to write with now. The aforementioned program, Rough Draft 3.0 and Word for windows.  Perhaps some other members can suggest more.  ;D Aelf

Offline prophetcharlesb

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 12:40:05 AM »
Howdy aelfwin, I have been taking a look at a program called, Book Writer v.3  they are located at:  http://yadudigital.com . Its not free tho. Im not sure if its a good program are not. It's very affordable and it has a 30day trial. Whats your view on eBooks?  My writing experience has been corp newsletter, brochures, advertisements etc.. I do have several books I have written over the years but havent done anything with them. Yeah I hope others imput on this subject too. Thanks
"A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life"

christopher morley

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 05:05:28 AM »
I can't help you much here since I've never written anything long enough, but even for my children's chapter book I did most of my planning with pencil and paper. Have to say that most of my brainstorming tends to me on bits of paper, notebooks, sadly blank pages of current diary and other suchlike.

As far as any software goes, if I happen to be sitting at my laptop when I get an idea then I use Microsoft OneNote - which is fantastic for references, planning and generally writing bits and pieces and being able to sort them into their relevant 'places'

For brainstorming, I use Mindmapper4.5 - the only mind-mapping technology I've found simple and effective enough to transfer ideas from paper to computer screen (I'm not very teccie, as you may have guessed  ;D)

robert1704

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 08:53:45 AM »
hi,

At the moment I am  using "Write Sparks Premium" and I must say that it is fun and useful, especially for a Dutch speaking creature as I am. I write 15 minutes, then paste the part I wrote in my word processor, and then continue writing in Write Sparks, it is not so boring as always looking at the page you are writing. It seems it is a creation by Nick Daws  ;)

For non fiction stuff, I use "Brainstorm', that is a great program. You can make titles, subtitles, sub sub titles, you can automaticalle copy text from the internet and from any file you want. You can move things, print ...... very useful tool.

Robert

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 09:46:04 AM »
For the record, I can't claim any credit for the Write Sparks program, but my publishers do include the Lite version with my "Write Any Book in Under 28 Days" course.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Mini

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 12:54:59 PM »
Hi Aelfwin,

I was given New novelist. I have mixed feelings on it.

As a guide to setting out my ideas and keeping me on track it is very good, but as a program to wite in I do not like it. 
So I tend to write and edit my work in Word in one window, and have New Novelist open to refer to simultaneously.

My next gift will hopefully be 'Nick's 28 day Novel'. There is so much I need to learn and that course seems to be a good place to start.

Mini

TaniAliya

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 04:01:16 PM »
Interested to read this thread: I've downloaded, tried and uninstalled so many writer's software programs I can't count them.  Finally, the brainstorming program I've used since it first started (upgrading as it grew) called Mind Manager from MindJet has come of age and is the best way I know to sort my thoughts, get things ordered and so on...it has links to Word and most Office programs as well.  You can do lightening brainstorming one minute and create linked maps that can be moved the next so you can shift chapters/scenes around.  Great stuff...try the MindJet site they have 30 day free trial.

Cheers :)

Offline Socca

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 11:38:14 PM »
Hi. 
Has anyone found a good screenwriting programme?  (Preferably a free one)
Soc   :)

Offline Angeleyes

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 10:35:35 AM »
Hi all.   Thought i'd let you know about 'Write your own novel". I think it is really good. I found it while out shopping with my son to get yet another game for him! It cost ten pounds, but you get lets of help. I'm a total novice, but when you have finished your novel  this programme can export it to a formatted manuscript. :D  I had no idea how to do anything until I had this and as they say, every little helps.

If your interested you can buy in line. I looked up their website at- www.gsp.cc. Click on General Interest and then Hobbies and Interests. You can find it at the bottom- just scroll down. (I've got the cheaper version, but have still found it to be good).
 Hope this makes sense.  ;)
                                       Ann J
May all your dreams come true.

Whether you think you can, or think you can't....you're right!
-Henry Ford.

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 01:38:31 PM »

The most useful program I've found is Stylewriter- which isn't a writing program, but an editing one.  It finds passive sentences, cliches and overused words.  It is more for non-fiction writing, but I find it helpful with my fiction, I just ignore  the suggestions where I chose the words for dtamatic effect.

New Novelist is a good program for setting up a story, but I then write in Word.

I am currently checking out Storycraft.

Orchid15
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Dale Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 08:23:38 PM »
Hi aelfwin,

I'm using Wizards4word and think it's a great product. I don't even think about formatting anymore. Everything is handled for me. It has plot and character developers (which I don't use), a Book Doctor which will critique your work 7 different ways, manuscript repair features, mail merge (write a query and it will generate a unique printout for every agent on your mailing list), templates of every kind (thesis, short story, novel, query, business letter, fax, etc. etc.), and it's very easy to use.
Downsides...it's a little pricey, $76 US. You have to have Microsoft Word installed on your computer, as it's an add-on to that program. It takes up a lot of resources, so you'd better have at least 256 megs of ram or using some of the features like Book Doctor will lock you up.
Other than that, it fullfills all my needs.

Dale

Offline aelfwin

• The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 10:21:26 PM »
Hi Dale, Thanks for the info on Wizards4word. I've been tempted to buy it but hadn't heard much about it. Thanks,.  :) Aelf