The Herbalist's Tale
5 (20%)
Castles made of sand
1 (4%)
Lost Hope
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: June 19, 2009, 06:16:48 AM

Author Topic: Flash Fiction Challenge #6 - Closed  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
Flash Fiction Challenge #6 - Closed
« on: June 12, 2009, 06:16:48 AM »
1. If I could write...

IF ONLY I had known.  Everybody else knew, but I had been preoccupied.  I wasn't paying attention, and now I have to pay the price.  

As I reached for my keyboard, my CREPITUS shouted like it was ARMAGEDDON.  If I ever learn to dance, I'm sure I could put on a concert.

But I have to do what I have to do.  Most people know better than to present a challenge to me, but you did, Joe.  And I'll tell you the same thing I've told countless others that I've deFLOWERed.

I'm a programmer, Joe, not a plaything.  Silly Git!

2. THE END OF THE WORLD

The crack of a joint, a sharp CREPITUS, stills all other noise. Smoke blooms upwards like some grey FLOWER, but this is no snowdrop signalling the coming of spring, but a rose on the casket of the world.

A breeze stirs, strengthening exponentially as it ripples out, raising dust that swirls like a wave, white horses riding a path of destruction. Horses of the apocalypse, of ARMAGEDDON.

The regrets come too late. Wringing hands and murmurs of “IF ONLY, if only” cannot stop the world from ending on a final stone thrown in an argument that no one truly understood.

3. Enter at Own Risk

IF ONLY he could get back to the time portal. Josiah crawled frantically, his cracked fingernails churning in the red Georgia clay. His left thigh, swollen with gangrene, hung limply behind him and hissed faintly with CREPITANT menace. The FLOWER! Where was the damned flower? Josiah slung his head around weakly, trying to focus his fevered brain on finding his one salvation from this ARMAGEDDON. Suddenly, hands dropped on his shoulders. “Hey, Cap’n! Where ya’ll trying to get to, son?” The hands lifted him gently. “Damn sir, Yankees gonna be here soon. Best get you back to the hospital wagon.”

4. "The Herbalist's Tale."

A legend tells of a beautiful flower that will only bloom once every 39 years, in a long forgotten forest on an uncharted island unknown to humankind. It is a unique flower and therefore can only be found with a shovel made of pure gold and only if the human is right handed, wears an eye patch on his left eye, and has at least one golden tooth. It is said the flower has mystical powers that can either bring eternal happiness or endless misfortune to its rightful master.  What a pity that such a flower does not really exist.

5. Castles Made of Sand

The world collapsed outside. It would be a long fall from this castle while ARMAGEDDON waits outside for me. They want bread,
they want jobs, and they want it now.

They scream while dragging me through the streets “Long live the revolution!” None of them understand, too blinded by faith.
None, they are all too stupid to see that in one hundred years their great grandchildren will be exactly what they are fighting against
now, and in another hundred years, the revolution will begin anew. For now my castle made of sand will disappear, but eventually the
tide will fall.

6. Lost Hope  

He took my hand and squeezed it. I tried smiling to give him a sense of hope, but my tears betrayed that. Dread washed over my face instead, as it did on everyone’s.
   The president said the war would cause ARMAGEDDON, but no-one believed him. Now families were evacuating, hoping to avoid the deadly atmosphere of radiation. Already the sky was dim red. Every FLOWER had wilted.
   Across the street, my house-neighbour fell, banging her CREPITUS knee on the concrete. She bellowed and tried to comfort the pain. IF ONLY we could save her, and everyone else in the world.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 03:02:16 AM by fire-fly »
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Pablo

• View Profile

Well, you already know where my vote went, Joe, but I think the thread also deserves a reply.

You have a wonderful imagination my friend.

How about another selection?

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
Thanks, Pablo.

Whoever wins this challenge on Thursday will put up another challenge.
I'll try to win Challenge #51. Then I'll conjure up something really juicy.  :)
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Figi

• View Profile
Joe,

They all were great stories, but for me the choice is between 'Enter at Own Risk' and 'The Herbalists Tale'.

The first for me showed that people are stuck in situations or 'moulds' and people perceive and react to them as such (in the story the main character was a wounded soldier and was treated as this, even though that was not all that he was). I also felt that the Cap'n may have been able to get back to the portal sooner, but delayed, and that was his downfall - never put off today because there may not be a tomorrow kind of mentality.

The Herbalisor was an illustration of belief. I liked the idea that the actual properties and resting place for the flower were unknown, yet the specifics for finding it were very precise. Who decided these specifics? And are we to believe the author when he tells of this wonderful flower? Or is the author telling the truth when this story is discounted as fiction?

My interpretations may be pretty basic - at best - because I am new to this, so I apologise for appearing uncouth. I hope I got the gist of each story.

My overall favourite has to be 'Enter at Own Risk', but it was a close run thing.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
The poll finishes tomorrow, then I'll let you know who the winner is etc.
I really like the variety within these stories, even though they all contain
specific, correlating words. We should actually have a Q+A session with
the winner afterwards. 

Offline Max Zvyagintsev

• Welcome to my World! Now go home
    • View Profile
This has been quite fun, my only regret is we didn't have more people entering  ;D

It's also great to see so many voters!

Max
"The World doesn't owe you anything, it was here first"

"You fall before you learn to stand up"

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
Hopefully all the voters will become contestants next time.

Offline Max Zvyagintsev

• Welcome to my World! Now go home
    • View Profile
hehe, that would be fun!  ;D ...oooh I'm tied on second place!

Max

"The World doesn't owe you anything, it was here first"

"You fall before you learn to stand up"

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• View Profile
    • Joe Mynhardt
Re: "Sticky:" Flash Fiction Challenge #6 - Closed
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 08:28:59 AM »
Thanks for a great challenge guys. Make sure you go check out who the winner is.

Peace, I'm outta here.  ;)