Author Topic: Font size, and single or double spaced lines in a novel  (Read 3068 times)

Offline curtism

• View Profile
Font size, and single or double spaced lines in a novel
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:16:34 AM »
 I am getting different answers on font size. I think 11 is good some say use 12, I think twelve is to big.
The other is single or double spaced lines. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Curtism

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
    • View Profile
Re: Font size, and single or double spaced lines in a novel
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 12:35:02 AM »
I use Times new roman 12 and only double space between paragraphs.
and if I'm not mistaken it is so an editor or agent can do the quick math in their heads to figure out how long your novel is.
MWC Glossary --> http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=41276.0

Offline curtism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:48:09 AM »
Hey Skip,
  I have been using 11 size font, and double space between paragraphs. I also use a book writing template through word which is fantastic. It does spell check and punctuation, of course i double check, but it sure speeds things along. Anyway, so you suggest size 12 font.

Thanks,
Curtism

Offline Max Zvyagintsev

• Welcome to my World! Now go home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:05:03 AM »
I would suggest size 12 as well. Font "Times New Roman" main reason being is probably the most common I see others use no matter what their proffecian is.  - Just putting in my 20cents.  ::)

Max  ;)
"The World doesn't owe you anything, it was here first"

"You fall before you learn to stand up"

Offline Hugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 04:04:36 PM »
Last year, soon after I acquired my first computer, I sent a question on what font to use for magazine scripts to Jean Saunders’ column in Writing Magazine (sister publication to Writers’ News). She was kind enough to send me an email the same day, and my question with her answer was also in the magazine a few months later.

You might find the answer interesting. She has had several novels and hundreds of short stories published. For both she uses Times New Roman 14 point, and double spacing between lines but not an extra space between paragraphs. She says editors have always found that acceptable.

I asked the question primarily because fonts in Word differ from those in my old word processor. I find TNR 12 point rather small and therefore tiring to read, particularly on screen, whereas Ariel 12 point is much bigger. What is good enough for Jean is certainly good enough for the likes of me, so I use TNR 14 point.

Hugh

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 04:33:45 PM »
from an article i copied some time back... Cant remember where and never copied the source...  :)

Most editors in any genre (articles, short fiction, long fiction, etc.) want a manuscript to conform to the following basic requirements:

Double-spacing

1-inch margins all around (at least)

A clear, readable font (The truth is, most editors really don't care, as long as the font is readable. Generally, it's best to use a 12-point font size, and to choose a font that doesn't "squinch" letters together too closely. The bottom line on fonts is simply this: If your editor expresses a preference, or if you've heard from five other people who have submitted to that same editor that s/he is obsessive over fonts, use the font the editor prefers. But if your editor has no preference, don't assume that s/he has one -- and don't "get your knickers in a twist" over the issue of font. )

Paragraphs indicated by indents (tabs), not by an extra line space
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline curtism

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 08:22:26 PM »
Thanks for the input. I will just keep writing, and not worry about it.

Curtism

Offline bonitakale

• View Profile
    • BKEdits: Manuscript Line Editing Service
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 08:27:20 AM »
Yeah, but be sure to set your line spacing to double--not just between paragraphs.
<a href="http://www.BKEdits.com/">Manuscript Line Editing at BKEdits</a>