Author Topic: Could someone help me with Nick Daws Freewriting technique?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline C. Alan Walker

Hi,

I am writing a fiction/fantasy novel and I have completed the entire 70 page blueprint. I am very eager to write the draft, and have actually written the first two chapters (leaving 35 to write more), but I seem to take longer to write the two-thirds of a page per five minutes.

Could anyone possibly guide me a little more specifically how to do this exercise? I uderstand to relaz and so forth, but I think my trouble comes from concerning myself with writing (including from a view point) instead of getting the ideas out.

Should I just write like:

"Dragon soars upward. Knight drops sword."

because I usually try and fine-tune it almost second-naturedly to be this:

"The dragon soared upward and the knight for the speed of the uptake was made to drop his sword. It spun and clattered to the stone flats beneath him."

I want to say I think I should jot ideas down, but I feel what I do instead is write (without worrying too much of it, but more than simple jotting) it down. The results are longer. I seem to get a page per stimulus question and sometimes two, but the resluts are not a bit boring.

An example would be most appreciated. Though I really can only thank you and offer you any help I may possibly be in repay.

Please note that I have to endure the painful circumstances of a dial-up connection that is stammering to a near stand-still in results to supposed line updates. I realy want your help, and will be back AQAP.

Thank you so very much for your time, and to you all good fortune.

Sincerely,
C. Alan Walker

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
Re: Could someone help me with Nick Daws Freewriting technique?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »
The way I see free writing Alan, is to write, without going back on errors, as the words pop into my head. This is how I do it and after an alloted time I decipher what I have written. It may have missing words, where my brain has said what I wanted, but my fingers didn't keep up. :) Errors can soon be rectified. It is getting the idea down which is important to me. If it takes you longer, so what, you will soon gather speed.

Now this may be wrong so don't take my word for it. :) I am sure Nick will come and cyber kick me if I have steered you wrong. :)

Offline C. Alan Walker

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:40:10 PM »
I can see sense to that and I greatly appreciate your comments. :) Thanks. I'll keep writng for now.

Is there some way to get Nick Daws to come to this post? I would love to see his guidance on this, as I think I just need a finer description of his technique.

When I read the stimulus words I see the answer to my writing question--but I don't know if I should jot notes down on what I see or write it more clarifyingly.... or does it really matter? Perhaps the clearer way shall spare me of longer revision, it's generally pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 04:45:36 PM by C. Alan Walker »

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:12:35 PM »
I think the general reply "What works best for you." applies well in this case ;D

If you find it easier to write in longer sentences that need less correction later, then do so... it will take a little longer for the first draft, but you feel comfortable writing that way.

If you prefer jotting quick notes and then filling in further when going over it the second time... Then that is the method for you. ;D

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 05:18:59 PM »
The clearer you see it the better for you Alan, but don't over think it in the first stages. There is no hard and fast rule as you are the one that has to understand it first. Write as it comes to you. I use notes are for what I have missed.

Alan runs towards a burning bush with a bucket of water. He throws the contents over the burning branches, but realises it won't extinguish the flames.

I can see a few mistakes in those sentences already, but I will ignore them until I have finished that scene.

Write it as you see it.

Nick normally checks in on the questions mate.  :)

Offline curtism

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 12:31:47 AM »
MA is right, I use the Nick Daws free writing all the time. What you need to remember- when we were doing the five minute free writing, that was with 3 key words. When you are writing you use the 15 minute timer with 13 to 15 key words. Like Ma said, you write the first thing that comes into your mind don't think, just write, and after 15 minutes you can have up to 2 paragraphs. Then you fine tune it. I do it every day, It waorks like a champ.  Hope this helps.

Curtism