Author Topic: The Gods Discuss  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
The Gods Discuss
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:49:56 AM »
Luminescent Light wept. Yet again, another killed in Its name. LL was given many names by creatures across the universe, each believing devoutly they were preferred. And each overpowering and forcing their will on weaker beings, all in Its name.

LL was given many names: Zeus, Thor, God, Yahweh, Allah, Mother Nature, Science, and so many more. And that was just on one small insignificant planet out in a spiral arm of one of the smaller galaxies. Its focus shifted from the small blue ball and LL grinned while thinking of the Best Name Ever given to It. On the planet, Zrisgle in a large barrel galaxy, LL was called Sluelfristell by one small group and adored the sound.

LL gazed around the universe It had brought into being. This was supposed to be different. There was supposed to be an expansion of Love and a creation of Beauty. LL wanted so much more from the armies of galaxies ever expanding. But all was for naught. Entropy would eventually overtake even the selfish, greedy creatures and finally, finally the killing would stop.

LL was powerful, but not quite all-powerful. LL was knowing, but not omniscient. LL had a flaw, like all heroes. LL was an optimist. LL believed with every last subatomic particle, that life would tend towards the good. Pshaw.

"When did I ever tell any one set of creatures I was theirs and theirs alone? When did I ever say there was only one way to My house? Did I not make my creatures with enough wit and wisdom? Where did I go wrong?" LL lamented, crying out to an unfeeling Universe.

From the distance an answering voice replied, "You are a fool, Lum. You gave your creatures free will and their will is to please the self. Freedom from want means restraint for all, but greed overpowers the simpletons. Even love means a choosing of one over another. You built them poorly."

"I am alone in the vastness of eternity! Who are you? Have I finally gone insane?" cried out the Maker.

"I am Deepest Dark, the antithesis of your light. The Yin to your Yang. The opposite of who you think yourself to be."

"Why are you speaking to me?"

"You asked a question. I thought you were talking to Me. Who did you expect to answer?" sneered DD.

"I expected no answer. I cried out in my anguish. My Universe is not what I had hoped it to be."

There came an echoing laughter, bitter and dry. The sound of broken glass and crushed leaves, arid and devoid of mirth. "You think you have it bad? In My universe, I did not give them free will. There is nothing but birth, short and mean life, and then death."

"That's how it is in My universe, as well," sobbed LL.

DD's voice took on a savage tone, sharpened by a knife's edge of hate, bitterness, jealousy, and longing. "You have art. Your pitiful creatures made art. Pleasures to fill all the senses. Throughout your galaxies, in myriad worlds, there is art."

DD's sobbing wracked both universes.

LL was silent. Eons passed, entropy continued. LL sighed and looked once again across the universe.

"Art?" LL whispered. "What is the price of art?"

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:43:36 AM by SpChick »
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline eric

Re: The Gods Discuss
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:58:53 AM »
Patti, dear, not to put too fine a point on it but you are completely crazy.

:D

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
I knew that.   ;D ;D

Any other comments?

Offline eric

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:16:09 AM »
Well, I'll get back to you.  But for now I notice that your second and fourth paragraphs are very telly, and the story has a very terra-centric point of view.  You say it's a remote and insignificant place, which is obvious, but what happens there in minute detail is somehow of importance to the gods, even though there are presumably millions of similar life form contexts. 

This would appear to make you a terra-ist and a potential target of the war on terra-ism.  I would be careful were I you!

:)

p.s.  I'd hate to have to come and bust you out of some cosmic jail ... sheesh!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:29:17 AM by eric »

twisted wheel

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:33:45 AM »
i like it.

okay, it don't say nothing for my state of mind but i enjoyed it. very creative. ;D

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 08:44:55 AM »
I got away from being a terra-ist. Not sure if it helps or hurts.

I also corrected a typo.

I wasn't sure how to relate that this was a godness without naming some gods. Alas.

Offline dynodreamer

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »
What a gift you have SpaceChick. That's quite a journey into the Cosmos.
As the hardliners would say ... "give me a chapter and a verse." ha ha  :D
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isnít any - Yogi Berra
[Ask a Doctor when he feels he might quit practicing Medicine and work on theory!]

Offline dynodreamer

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:24:40 PM »
And now I would  like to extend my thanks to the order of the MWC for my SENIOR membership entitlement. The gods are with me surely.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isnít any - Yogi Berra
[Ask a Doctor when he feels he might quit practicing Medicine and work on theory!]

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »
The stars appeared on the cosmos thread    ;D ;D ;D

The gods have spoken.

Offline alienauthor

• Fascination lingers behind the shades!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
I'm not quite sure what to say.  Brilliant?  No, Genius!  Someone mentioned crazy, a fine line between crazy and genius, and you're definately on the genius side with this one!  8)
Love an Adventure! Live an adventure!  Then write the damned thing!

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 10:40:53 PM »
Whooo oooo
Thanks, I needed that!

Offline alienauthor

• Fascination lingers behind the shades!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 10:42:37 PM »
No thanks necessary.  I simply told the truth.  The subject matter hit home for me.   8)
Love an Adventure! Live an adventure!  Then write the damned thing!

Offline domenic

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 01:45:35 PM »
Is this the attempt you made at fiction you wanted me to read? Why don't you post it in review my work? I'm sure other members would like to see how someone who understands fiction does it.

Domenic