Author Topic: Karma System  (Read 5650 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Karma System
« on: January 15, 2006, 10:00:47 AM »
Could I just remind members that they are very welcome to give positive feedback for particularly helpful postings (or members!) by clicking on Applaud under their name in the left-hand column.

There is also a Smite facility, but I would ask that you use this very sparingly and only if someone posts an abusive or otherwise unacceptable message. Even then, I would prefer it if you simply reported the message to the moderators, as we can then delete or edit it if required.

If you simply disagree with something someone has said, rather than 'Smite' them, post a message explaining why. 'Smiting' should be very much a last resort.

I mention this as several of the other moderators, who work extremely hard to keep this board running smoothly, have accrued one or more 'Smite' scores. Personally I feel that this is quite unfair on these individuals, who spend a lot of time helping other forum members, for no financial reward.

Ultimately, if I feel that the Karma system is being abused, I will ask the forum hosts, WCCL, to disable the feature.

I hope no-one will be offended by these comments,but it is I think important that if we are to continue with the Karma system, it is used in a positive, constructive way.  So please, be nice :)

Nick GM
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Lin

Re: Karma System
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:51:13 AM »
Nick

I have to say that when I first read the small print I had to look again I thought it said SMILE - I took it that you either applauded for something that was really good or Smile if it was just good.  The font is quite small.   Now I understand.   Is that funny or what??

Then I looked again and saw it said Smite.   I wonder if anyone else thought the same as me??  There could lie a misunderstanding.

Lin

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 12:01:44 PM »
That thought had occurred to me too.

OK, let's assume that whoever hit 'Smite' actually thought it said 'Smile', shall we ?

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Lin

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 12:48:20 PM »
Thanks Nick.   I do hope that our visitors to the site are smiling at us and not smiting us.  Thanks for bringing this up, at least we hope it clears a possible misunderstanding.

Lin

Offline writingfriend

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 12:40:13 AM »
Thank you for letting us know. I am new and are trying to figure out everything. I will try and remember your message.
Linda

Offline Anitadee

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 07:40:24 AM »
Hi Nick,
I too thought the smite button said smile although I am still learning how to use the site,What is the Karma button for?
Love the site!
Thanks
anitadee ???

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 07:43:39 AM »
Hi Anita

Good to see you on the site! The word Karma is not actually clickable - it's just a heading. You can click on Applaud to boost someone's Karma score, and Smite to reduce it (though don't do this unless someone really is way out of line!).

Nick

Offline Anitadee

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 08:05:56 AM »
Thanks Nick,
I am really enjoying the site, I have also started the course 'Write any book in 28 days' You have made it so easy to follow,I wish I had found it earlier!
It took me 4 years to produce and publish my book'Edgworth To Crowthorn' The story of a Lancashire Childrens Home.(Local History) I am hoping a novel will not take as long.
Thank you for your support.
Anitadee ::)

Offline Lieutenant Dan

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 12:05:12 PM »
Turthfully, I thought "Smite" was "Smile" as well!  I don't THINK I smited anyone by accident....I did give Karma to Lin, Tigger and others, though.  If I did a Smite, it was completely unintentional. 

Offline Sheree

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 12:55:58 PM »
Does anyone else see the Monty Python in this?? ;D

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 02:22:56 PM »
I am a newbie and have recieved a smite.  I wonder at the usefulness of this feature because I have no way of knowing what I said that made someone choose to smite me, therefore no way to correct it.-  I try to be honest and helpful, and while I may have said something wrong- it was an honest error.

However, one smite doesn't bother me, and it might be useful to help us develop the thick skins we need to face our rejection slips.  Ha HA!

Of course, if someone got lots of smites, it would be a sinal to the moderators, and I suppose that is why it is there.
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Lin

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 04:51:25 AM »
Yes I agree and as we have mentioned above it is possible that errors were made. The web programme is apprarently controlled from another source.   Smite is something Ive never heard of until I came on here are moderator.   I do think that it wont be anyone who deliberately wishes to complain about a particular posting. Its the way the programme was put together and probably isnt relevant for all our nice members on Writers Circle.  It would be better to leave a message in the forum to say you dont agree with something rather than smite.   

In future I suggest you leave comments in the form of a message and ignore the smite.   The moderators will pick it up, we are volunteers and this is our job. Just applaude if you want to praise.

Have a nice day

Lin

Offline chillies

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 05:26:08 AM »
Before this writers circle, I was new to internet chat groups, so I too, was ingnorant of this Karma System.
But, I do have to say, I really do not see the point of it. As, has already been mentioned, several of our fellow contributors to this site have already been smited - and for what? I for one cannot see any reason for their smite.

I myself have been applauded 3 times, and I'm not sure what the reason for that was either.

Although I know it is better to be applauded than smited, I do wonder whether it would be a lot better all round if this Karma System was de-activated altogether.

We are writers, either professionally of amateur, and as such, we should be able to take criticism without the need to  smite.

chillies

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 05:34:14 AM »
OK, let's put this to the vote! See the new thread titled Karma System Vote.

Nick

Offline peter.boxall

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 05:47:53 AM »
I, like many others, thought it was 'smile'. Although, until I read this thread I had no idea what the 'karma' was all about, still not sure of its positive benefits. Surely the whole site is meant to be positive and my short experience to date bears this out. Is this another bell/whistle, like so many of the functions on electrical gadgets, that looks good but doesn't add to the product's overall objective? I'll be voting to switch it off.