Poll

Which title best sums up the plot of my vampire novel?

Bad Blood
4 (21.1%)
Blood Feud
5 (26.3%)
New Blood
2 (10.5%)
Blood Uprising
5 (26.3%)
Mixed Blood
2 (10.5%)
Blood Creations
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Title for my Vampire Novel  (Read 5133 times)

Offline emma112

• Fantasy heals the wounds of reality.
Re: Title for my Vampire Novel
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 03:44:31 PM »
So write the thing, dear.

I am. Don't worry.  ;D

Thank you to everyone for their help. You've all given me great ideas!  :)
And thank you for voting.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:47:52 PM by emma112 »
Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us - Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Offline lozbud

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 05:14:41 PM »
Hey Emma

personally wouldn't worry to much about your story being along the same idea as Blade 2. I think thats a good thing it means it works. No two people if they took the exact same idea and both wrote their own novel around that idea would come up with the same book. I read a lot of books on writing and it seems to be across the board other writers telling you to study works similiar to yours.

Don't be too discouraged, just go for it, I am sure as you get further into your writing your novel will develop quite differently.

Loz  :)

Offline emma112

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »
Oh yes, I agree. I know that two people who write about the same plot would both make it totally different. I know mine will obviously be different. I'm not worried too much, I just didn't know that my story wasn't original.  :D

Like Eric said, it's just a little annoying. I'm sure everything will turn out well with it anyway. I wrote some more on it today, and the description is going well. Although I've been told not to write too much description, so I might have to post some of my work on here to see if I have gone a little overboard...  ;D

Thanks, loz.
Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us - Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 10:01:06 AM »
The thing is Em, I don't think there are truly original stories any more. When you look at the phenomenon of Harry Potter being based around a wizard school - It's almost exactly the same as The Worst Witch of Cackles Academy, or Trudi Canavan's "The Magician's Guild" trilogy, or the unseen university of the Discworld...
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline eric

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 10:07:03 AM »
Hmmm, that's very true Walkio, there is nothing new under the sun.  I think Ecclesiastes said it first.

Offline emma112

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 10:09:51 AM »
The thing is Em, I don't think there are truly original stories any more. When you look at the phenomenon of Harry Potter being based around a wizard school - It's almost exactly the same as The Worst Witch of Cackles Academy, or Trudi Canavan's "The Magician's Guild" trilogy, or the unseen university of the Discworld...

Yes, you're right Matt.
It is nice to know though that maybe, just maybe, your story might have a totally new idea in it... I know that's very unlikely now.

Anyway, all that matters is how you write it, not what you write. So, if I keep that in mind then the plot of my book should unfold quite well, as many plots do for other people.

And I never knew that Harry Potter was so similar to other books... Thanks for telling me.  :)

Offline eric

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »
Heh, well, you might create a one-eyed, one-nosed, flying purple people eater ... but of course that's been done ... yet if you change him to orange, and give him horns ... hmm ... possibilities

Offline emma112

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 10:19:55 AM »
Heh, well, you might create a one-eyed, one-nosed, flying purple people eater ... but of course that's been done ... yet if you change him to orange, and give him horns ... hmm ... possibilities

:D :D

Offline emma112

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 12:14:50 PM »
So, I've looked on the internet for some tips on how to choose a good book title. This is to help me, and obviously anyone else who wants help in choosing a title. Here's what I found:

Catchy
Your book title should be catchy and grab the attention of the potential reader. Remember it’s going to be on the shelf with thousands of other books and your title can help your book stand out from the other books.

Appropriate
Your book title should fit the book. It should give the potential reader a clue about what the book will be about. Calling a book “Wild Horses” or “Love Of The Rose” when the book is about auto racing wouldn’t be an appropriate choice and wouldn’t do an effective job of targeting your market. Your title is your first hint to the reader about what’s to come when they pick up your book.

Keep It Short
Your book title should portray a message but not be too long as to bore the potential reader. It should be of a length that can be read at a glance and require no time at all for it to register with the brain. Short and simple works best.

Compelling
Your book title should compel the potential reader to want to pick up the book and find out more about it. It should initiate a response of interest and curiosity. Once they pick up the book your jacket cover can complete the job of convincing them your story is worth buying and reading.

Non Offensive
Your book title should not be offensive to any one culture. You should be careful that none of the words or phrases have a negative connotation or meaning in another language, especially if you will be marketing your book on a global scale.

Descriptive Words
Your book title should use descriptive words that clearly convey what you are selling, in this case it’s your story. By using descriptive content your potential reader is more likely to be drawn to and pick your book up for further examination.

Mystery And Intrigue
If appropriate for the subject of the book, why not use a little mystery and intrigue in the title? After all, which title would you be more inclined to pick up? “Who Killed Inspector Gadget” or “Mr. Gadget Died”? Your title is a bit like the sales pitch of an advertisement. In an add it’s the first line that hooks you. In your book it’s your title that needs to set the hook.

I may set up a new thread with this information, just to help people who want a title for their book, and so they don't have to search through all my mumbo-jumbo to find it.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 01:24:31 PM by emma112 »

Offline curtism

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
Hey Emma,

"BLOOD UPRISING" is an I catcher for one, plus it fits the book. A new blood causes an uprising for a new breed of vampires.

Curtism

Offline emma112

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 03:46:14 PM »
Thank you for your vote and your opinion, Curtism!  ;D