Poll

Which title best sums up the plot of my vampire novel?

Bad Blood
4 (21.1%)
Blood Feud
5 (26.3%)
New Blood
2 (10.5%)
Blood Uprising
5 (26.3%)
Mixed Blood
2 (10.5%)
Blood Creations
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Title for my Vampire Novel  (Read 5115 times)

Offline emma112

• Fantasy heals the wounds of reality.
Re: Title for my Vampire Novel
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 12:00:53 PM »
Thank you for your vote, loz!  :)

I like Blood Creations, but people have said that short titles are more effective...

Well, I am writing a lot now. But this is just the way I work. I find it better to have a title for the story I am writing, because it gives me more motivation to make it into something more concrete. It helps me with the plot too, so that I don't stray off onto something different. This just makes it more concrete for me, more... stable, so to say.
Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us - Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Offline eric

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 12:15:22 PM »
The problem with Blood Creations is that it doesn't really say anything.  Creations is a highly abstract word with a pretty obscure meaning, due to the pluralization.  Also, it is a bit long as you say, E.

I like all the others, think they could be segment titles for an ongoing series almost.  I would change the one long one, Blood Uprising, though ... to something snappier like Blood Risen or Blood Uprise I guess.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:18:25 PM by eric »

Offline emma112

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »
Hm, I think you're right Eric.
Sorry, loz!

Eric is very smart on this stuff -- abstractions, obscure meanings, etc. -- so he knows what he's talking about.

This title seems to have the same problems as my original title, "Blood Revolution". I realised that people would look for a simpler title, and I think Blood Feud works best at this.

Well, I guess I could use the rest of the titles for an ongoing series, but I will most likely have very different plots in the rest of the books, to make the series more exciting and interesting to read. I may need new titles, but some of these might work for other plots too.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:50:08 PM by emma112 »
Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us - Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Offline lozbud

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 03:15:21 AM »
Hey Emma

Thats cool I'll probably get over it after a while :'(

I am more than interested in others opinions and am certainly here to listen. I have only been writing for not quite 3 years now and so have much to learn. I am absolutely lapping up the knowledge and skills that seem to be on display here.

Anyway had a few drinks so thats a bit of a ramble lol

Loz  :)

Offline emma112

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 04:07:26 PM »
I am absolutely lapping up the knowledge and skills that seem to be on display here.

Me too!  ;D

I do like your title as I said, so I may use it for another book in the series. I just think Gyppo's title, "Blood Feud", is just perfect for this plot and very effective.  :)

Offline Cheerie

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 01:54:18 AM »
Hiya!

Not to be a cynic or anything, but have you considered calling it Blade 2?

Sorry, couldn't resist! Seriously though, you might want to have a quick watch of that movie, in case your work invites comparisons. It might also furnish you with some ideas - mostly on what not to do, since the movie is so appalling!  :0)
Tony

Offline Cheerie

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 03:46:31 AM »
Oh, also I had a thought on the name front. Presumably the cover illustration, blurb etc, will immediately suggest to a reader that the book is about Vampires; the use of 'blood' in the title might actually be unnecessary. As a word it's probably quite over used in the titles of vampire books. Blood Feud is very catchy, but a search on Amazon revealed 4 pages of different books called Blood Feud, or with Blood Feud in the title.
As a possible alternative, you could consider naming the book after the hybrid race it features, as this will also tie the title closer to the subject of the book. Say for example your scientist named the hybrid creatures 'Drinkers', this gives all sorts of possible options, such as "Drinkers Dawn", "Rise of the Drinkers" or "Drinkers Awake!".  - I know, sounds like an advert for Alcoholics Anonymous, but try substituting the Vampiric monster name of your creation and you'll end up with something far more original for a title - or if nothing else, a sub-title as in "Blood Feud: Rise of the Raveiners".
Hope this helps!
(If not, forget I said anything - most people generally do!)
:0)
Tony

Offline emma112

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »
Hey, Tony.  :)

No, I haven't seen Blade 2. I just looked at a review of the film and well, looks like I might have to change a few things in my book!  :-\
Thank you so much for telling me about this, because now I know that my idea isn't that original. It's strange how I almost got the full idea of that film, without me even watching it... Darn.  :D

Blood Feud is very catchy, but a search on Amazon revealed 4 pages of different books called Blood Feud, or with Blood Feud in the title.

I didn't know this either. Now I know to definitely do more research before I start writing! Thanks again, Tony.  :)
Well, that leaves me with the title Bad Blood. I'll have to check whether this has been used too.  ;D

I know it is kind of obvious to have the word "blood" in the title. But, it's just always stuck with my work. It's just something that I want in the title.

I will try to come up with a name for the hybrids. That was a good idea. I think that might work better actually.  :)

Thank you so much for pointing those out for me. You've been a great help!  ;D

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
And plus Bad Blood is better  ;D
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline emma112

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 09:22:21 AM »
Well, a lot of people seem to think so, because it is doing well in the poll.

;D ;D

Thank you, Eric, for this suggestion.  :)

Offline eric

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 09:56:31 AM »
Well, you're welc, and I have to say Tony had some good ideas.  Don't particularly think his title suggestion sounds too original, but you'll find "bad blood" is an American expression (and maybe an English one) of much currency, too.  I don't know how much it's been used in titles.

Offline eric

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 09:59:25 AM »
Isn't it annoying the way you work out a good premise for your book, and here Hollywood has come up with the almost same thing in a crappy package just two weeks earlier?  Makes you want to shoot a producer sometimes, or sick a vampire on him at the very least.

Offline emma112

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I know!  >:(

Makes me wish that my hybrids were real. Maybe they could go to war with the producers.
:o
Great idea for a book!

;D ;D

Hybrids: Attack on the Producers.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:39:31 AM by emma112 »

Offline emma112

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 10:47:40 AM »
Oh, darn!!  :-[

I just looked on Amazon and typed in "Bad Blood". Looks like there is a few books named after that title too...  :-\

Offline eric

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 12:43:09 PM »
It doesn't really matter if your title's been done before.  What matters is how inventive and fresh your story is.  So write the thing, dear.