Author Topic: What do you think of this?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Christina RebuffetBroadus

What do you think of this?
« on: May 29, 2009, 07:10:42 AM »
Just wanted to get some input on an idea that I've been rolling around in my brain for a while.

I'm thinking of doing a sort of dinner and a movie type cookbook. In fact it would be recipes for dishes, desserts, etc. seen in French films. Each entry would include the recipe plus a little info about the movie and especially the movie scene that the food was in. And of course a few wine pairing suggestions.

I figure France is almost as famous for its food as it is for the Eiffel Tower and French cinema has a pretty solid reputation too (even if the sterotype tends towards black and white existentialist art films with bobbed hair girls in cafes smoking and aloofly muttering things like "c'est la vie") So why not put the two together?

Anyway, it's an idea that I've had and am wondering if it's a marketable concept (I could even do both an English and French version as I speak both languages, but that's an afterthought)

What do you think? I'm open to feedback!

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
Re: What do you think of this?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »
My gut reaction is, yes, why not. It would be good icebreaker for dinner conversation. A how to pick the right wine with that meal and a trivia game rolled into one.

Offline pb

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »
i think it's a great idea and i'd definitely buy it as a present.

can you tell me a couple of films and the meals in them? i'd be interested to hear that.

i haven't seen too many french films although i once took one out the library...it was under 'world cinema' so i thought it would give me intellectual credit points. i didn't study it too closely, but i wished i had when the library nun who was on the desk studied me...too closely. i can't remember what it was called but 'le grosse gangbang psychologica' would have been perfect.

Offline curtism

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 11:19:01 PM »
Skip couldn't have said it any betterr, I agree with him 100 percent.

Curtism

Offline Christina RebuffetBroadus

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »
Sure, pb, here are a few ideas, just the ones that I've been able to remember without doing too much research. Research (i.e watching tons of French movies) will come soon.

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain: Remember that scene where she takes so much sensual pleasure in breaking the sugar crust of her crème brulée with the back of her spoon? Recipe: Classic crème brulée

Le Coeur des Hommes 2: When ...'s (can't remember the character's name) dad dies, the only thing that his mother will eat is his veal blanquette. It's the only thing she can stomach while still mourning (which means it has to be good, right?) Recipe: Veal blanquette

Deux jours à tuer: (Again, can't remember the characters' names) X leaves his family and friends to go to Ireland to reunite with his father. Before leaving, he made everyone hate him because he knew he was going to die in two days of a brain tumor. One of the last experiences he shares with his father is fly fishing and then sitting down to enjoy a simple meal of grilled trout filets, boiled potatoes in olive oil and a beer. The day after seeing the movie, I actually made myself the same dinner--this is what gave me the idea for the book.

Those are some of the ideas (but not necessarily the final or best ones), as this project is still in the earliest of it's 'hey, I've got a good idea' phase.
Any suggestions?

Offline emma112

• Fantasy heals the wounds of reality.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 03:44:47 PM »
I think this is a great idea, Christina.  :)
And I think it's quite unique too, so that makes it very interesting.

It will definitely sell quite easily, I think. French food is so popular, so that will help it sell. Also, the background knowledge of the movies you are adding into the book, will give the people something to read as the food is cooking. Plus, even though French films can be somewhat famous, not a lot of people watch them (or so I think), therefore this idea could encourage people to watch those films that have been introduced in your book.

Well done!  ;D
Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us - Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)