Author Topic: The Big "M"  (Read 3943 times)

Offline dedelite

• Write for yourself, even if no one reads you.
The Big "M"
« on: April 19, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
Today I have passed through another of life's milestones. After numerous blood tests and other procedures that I won't talk about I was told that I have passed through Menopause.
That is something that happens to to older women. It was quite a slap in the face to realize that I am one of those "older women". This is what happens to women that I call ma'am or by their last names to show respect.  But I just realized that the boys at the supermarket or Walmarts call me ma'am now.
How do you get from the girl at 18 to the point that I am at now. I remember the Beatles, and the seventies with our disco fever. Now I can't even make out most of the words that compose the musical works now. I remember when cutting school and getting caught smoking was a major mistake in your life.
Because of an illness I couldn't have children, that part of my life I missed so much. I helped raise other's kids, raised two stepchildren that I call my own, and helped with my nieces. One niece is named after me so that I have a little piece of immortality in this world when it is my time to go.
I have delivered babies, and rocked babies that always went to other people but was grateful to God to have these experiences.
Although I know now that nature has taken away the ability I feel empty in that place of my body that could have carried and nourished a new life. But I am not really sad, just puzzled at how fast the time has come and gone.
I am young  and just starting out. My body says tht I am this certain age, but my mind tells me how young I feel. I continue to feel no older than 20. I think that I will always feel young.
No matter how old in years I become, I will not let myself get old. I won't wear mamaw clothes and think old. I will keep up with the current movies  and books. And make sure I have young friends, along with my old stalwarts.
One of the best things about getting older is the ability to say what I thing and express my opinions. I don't worry about what people will say. So, I suffer through hotflashes from hell and give my opinion.
Someday when I get old I will walk in the rain barefooted, wear purple, and learn to spit. So much of life to look forward to. Also I will get senior citizen discounts before long. I think I'll handle old age easier than trying to learn how to live as a youth.

Offline kk

• Sweetwater Lane
Re: The Big "M"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »
Congratulations!The Big "M" is an incredible milestone in life...and a reminder of something,
though I can't remember just what ??? 

For me the most blatant reminder of my own age is when I go places where the professionals look like 12 year olds.
It's a little difficult to get through an annual exam with a physician who looks
like they could be your grandchild...I wonder if that will change?  As a bar keep only 2-3 years ago I found
myself carding 30 year olds ::)  Hell, they looked like elementary students.  Ugh.

But, like you said, I wouldn't want to go back and do the younger days over again...it was too hard and I like
being a bit older and a bit wiser. 

Celebrate!!!

kk
“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.”

~ Edith Lovejoy Pierce

twisted wheel

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 05:27:18 PM »
i hit male menopause and i want to go back and do it better ;D

Offline dedelite

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 01:21:28 PM »
KK,
Thanks for the note. When the hotflashes cease just a little I'll be okay. I'm liking the speaking my mind. And doing what I want to do,  not what is expected.  Ahh, the advantages of old age.

dedelite

Offline dedelite

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:25:23 PM »
Midnight Candle,
I'm sure you were something else in your "Male Menopause" stage. It would be nice to go back and do some things over but I'm glad to be where I'm at. I keep telling myself that I'm not old," just more experienced and I have better insurance."--Fried Green Tomatoes. I think when I get my "hormones" I'll be much easier to live with.

dedelite

Chaucer

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 08:09:30 PM »
i hit male menopause and i want to go back and do it better ;D

;D ;D ;D  Oh....you're just too funny Mr.

Congratulations dedelite.    You will soon discover that you are more than just your body-----now your true self can shine through.

Okay and with that said......got any good ideas for wrinkle creams?????  Is that shallow?...........what?  (I borrowed that 'what' part from someone on here who is timeless).

Offline dedelite

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 11:22:05 AM »
Chaucer,
I swear by Oil of Olay. And anything that has good ads. Seems like I'm smiling now without even trying with all the lines. My auburn hair can't compete with the white and has to have a good coloring at times. My sharp chin is beginning to wobble.    Everything is heading south. My freckles are coming together, but instead of a tan, I'm dealing with liver spots.
Oh well, it could be worse.

dedelite

Chaucer

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 12:03:27 PM »
The south is nice-------your body parts will get the place ready for you before the actual YOU arrives...as they are very maternal.  Maybe they'll even stock the fridge?   ;D

I could give you a list of beauty products not to try...... :D   Which is pretty much all of them...... :-\

I should have just bought a place in the Bahamas instead of spending it on face creams.   :P  Those exotic fruit drinks they serve cure everything!

It's chilly here.......may I borrow a hot flash?

Offline dedelite

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 06:27:33 PM »
Chaucer,
Sit still. First, you notice heat in your chest, slight shortness of breath, then your skin turns all  red and blotchy, then you feel it rise like a fever. Up to your neck, then you start sweating. In the south we call sweating the beautiful name of glowing. Well, I stopped glowing a couple of years back and it is pure sweating like a horse. As it covers your face you get all red and mad looking. Be careful if your talking to someone who is saying something you don't like, at this point, it's gonna blow if your not careful. Then the back of your neck gets hot and sweat drips down your back. Then your hair acturally starts sweating. No joke!!!! Now if you haven't had a hotflash by now it is too cold where you are. I'm having one just talking about it.  It's  85 degrees  outside and I'm dying already. The ac is cranked up and I have as few clothes on as is legal, with a cool root beer.

dedelite

twisted wheel

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 06:40:14 PM »
i'm getting flushes just reading this stuff :o

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:41:28 PM »
Oh the joys of the menopause aye. lol

Think of the highpoints Dede.

You can tell a young guy he is good looking or has a nice bum and he is the one that goes red and blotchy. ;D
You can use baby lotions and oils again without anyone thinking you are into some kinky routine.
The chemist has lost sales for overpriced necessities.
Freedom. ;D  

Offline kk

• Sweetwater Lane
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 06:57:05 PM »
And lets not forget the joys of discovering sweat glands in places they've never been found before:

the hair, as dede mentions, the backs of knees...well generally, everywhere!  I've become fond of calling them
power surges rather than hot flashes, but what does one do with a power surge at 2:00 am?  any ideas?

mc,
Are flushes the same as flashes?

“We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.”

~ Edith Lovejoy Pierce

twisted wheel

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 06:59:53 PM »
 :o

i'll settle for flashes

Offline dedelite

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:28:11 PM »
midnight, ma, kk,
So glad to be going through this with you all. It makes me feel so sticky close. I had forgotten about the sweating behing your knees. It is one of the worse of the symptoms. Yes, the chemists lost business. I can pat some bums and tell them how high and firm they are. And at this stage of the game I might just do.

Midnight,
I'm not sure how you fit, but aren't you learning so much about the woman physiology at this point. Remember these things when your wife says she is going to explode and is so hot. Reply gently and sweetly.

Saying what you mean in that tone that make people look up to see if a knife is coming is a plus. I can give my opinion about anything. From politics to sex. Things that I would go home and stew about I just come on out with them.

Your right.  Freedom.

dedelite

Offline bowmore bill

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 03:28:43 PM »
Today I have passed through another of life's milestones. After numerous blood tests and other procedures that I won't talk about I was told that I have passed through Menopause.
That is something that happens to to older women. It was quite a slap in the face to realize that I am one of those "older women". This is what happens to women that I call ma'am or by their last names to show respect.  But I just realized that the boys at the supermarket or Walmarts call me ma'am now.
How do you get from the girl at 18 to the point that I am at now. I remember the Beatles, and the seventies with our disco fever. Now I can't even make out most of the words that compose the musical works now. I remember when cutting school and getting caught smoking was a major mistake in your life.
Because of an illness I couldn't have children, that part of my life I missed so much. I helped raise other's kids, raised two stepchildren that I call my own, and helped with my nieces. One niece is named after me so that I have a little piece of immortality in this world when it is my time to go.
I have delivered babies, and rocked babies that always went to other people but was grateful to God to have these experiences.
Although I know now that nature has taken away the ability I feel empty in that place of my body that could have carried and nourished a new life. But I am not really sad, just puzzled at how fast the time has come and gone.
I am young  and just starting out. My body says tht I am this certain age, but my mind tells me how young I feel. I continue to feel no older than 20. I think that I will always feel young.
No matter how old in years I become, I will not let myself get old. I won't wear mamaw clothes and think old. I will keep up with the current movies  and books. And make sure I have young friends, along with my old stalwarts.
One of the best things about getting older is the ability to say what I thing and express my opinions. I don't worry about what people will say. So, I suffer through hotflashes from hell and give my opinion.
Someday when I get old I will walk in the rain barefooted, wear purple, and learn to spit. So much of life to look forward to. Also I will get senior citizen discounts before long. I think I'll handle old age easier than trying to learn how to live as a youth.

Hi dedelite, what a spot-on description of your lifetime journey to where you are now.
I have trodden that same path, and tasted each dish along the way, and like you the entity inside my mind keeps trying to convince me that I am still in the first flush of youth. Having said that, my wardrobe seems to give it some merit.
I fefuse to wear the flatcap and muffler often assoatied with the eldrly male.
On my thrice weekly trip to the gym am truly back in my twenties, or whenver,i love the exercise andthe feeling o strength as i lift well of what is expected of someone my age.
When i meet friends, and and other bar flies some thirty years younger than myself, I develope an inward feeling of  smugness.
Ps I have all of the Tee-shrts