Author Topic: Scud  (Read 3520 times)

Offline davidleejones13

• Just whispering to the future...
    • MoriaVaratu
Scud
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:10:14 AM »
SCUD

I received it on my thirteenth birthday.
A brand new Huffy bike.

It was painted a fire engine red that seemed to glow with a light of it's own. From the first glimpse my soul seemed to connect with it and my heart leaped in joyful excitement.

My parents stood nervously by as I climbed on, never having rode a bike before, but the bike seem to somehow sense this and steadied my balance as if using unseen cosmic forces. It was then I knew in my heart that my new gift had a soul of it's own.

An unseen energy sparked from the cold steel of the handle bars and the soft rubber of the pedals into my arms and legs and off we went, my bike and I, into adventure and a childhood cherished friendship that would be way too short for both our liking.

The name came to me as my windblown hair fluttered behind me as awestruck neighborhood kids saw us tackle the largest hill in our subdivision. Scud. It was not of my choosing, it just seem it wanted the name. So Scud and I tackled the monster hill that not even the teenagers of the area dared tempt. At the bottom of Deadman's Hill, the name all the children coined it, the excitement that coursed through my veins overwhelmed me and I barely noticed the cheers that a gathering of kids on next corner sent up as Scud and me raced by as a red blur.

In the following years Scud was more than a bike. He was a horse, a motorcycle, an airplane, a rocket sled and a speed boat. My imagination took us into unfathomable realms of  space, time and heroic adventure.

Then came the inevitable day we grew old together.  I sprouted and the bike grew too small for my frame. The fire engine red body of the bike began to lose it's luster and I felt Scud's sadness every time I happened to look upon him. I felt as though I had lost a friend and I felt I had failed Scud in some unexplainable way.

On the morning of my seventeenth birthday my parents made me go clean out the garage. I tried to refused, but eventually I stomped downstairs when it was made clear I had no say in the matter. My rebellious teenage demeanor cleared up shortly after beginning the chore for from Scud's corner of the garage I felt immense excitement emanating from the darkness.

I decided to throw open the garage door and had to quickly step aside as the bike flew past me on it's own accord. My eyes followed Scud as he rolled off the drive into the front yard and fell at the feet of young Billy Jackson, our thirteen year old neighbor.  The young boys eyes were lit with the excitement I recognized immediately as the same feeling I felt the day I first laid eyes on Scud. I felt tears welling in my eyes and my heart ached with the goodbye that was now inevitable.

"Well," the sound of my father's voice made me almost jump out of my skin, "do you like it?"

My parents had snuck up behind me and stood at the edge of the garage squinting into the early sunlit morning. It was only then I noticed the fire engine red mustang parked in the drive way. The red paint seemed to magnify the intense morning sun causing my head to ache.

My parents were a bit stunned when I did not go crazy with excitement, but, instead walked over to Scud where he lay in front of Billy. His wonderstruck gaze raised to  meet mine as I approached and I could not help the boyish grin that crossed my face.

"Scud," was all Billy could utter as his eyes scanned back down to the bike in awe.

I knew Scud wanted to leave and was already speaking to the young boy's soul. As I watched the two ride down the street I felt the bike radiating a love and thankfulness that caused my chest to swell with, what I can only explain as, pride.

It was only then that I had noticed that the red fire engine paint on Scud glowed once again with it's former brilliance. Also, I was just realizing as my eyes fell on the Shiny Mustang in the drive that it was the same fire engine red. From the joyful excitement my heart now felt I realized my soul had just said goodbye to an old friend only to start a new one with, her name was unmistakable.....Christine.

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
Re: Scud
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:51:11 AM »
I like this one Lee..  ;D

Is it the start of a longer one? 
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:23:54 AM »
Andrew,
This was actually my entry in the last challenge. The theme was relationships. I thought I had come up with a winning idea but in the end I came in second.  :( But, I thought the story was good enough and deserved  a few more reads so I posted it here. Thanks for the nice comment.

Your fellow matey on the THINGY,]
Lee

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »
David Lee, by the end of your story tears were running down my cheeks.

Thank you.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »
Country4Gal,
Wow, to touch a reader is all an author ever wants to do, I am glad, and sorry, that I managed to make you cry. That is quite a compliment. Thanks so much.

And once again, sorry... :-[

I appreciate you reading my stuff..

Lee

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »
Don't be sorry Lee. The crying was due to a strong connection with your story - in a good way.

Smiles,
Alice
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 04:03:33 AM »
I have always said that when a writer touches a reader only then does he/she become an author.
you have given me the best compliment a writer could have. Thank you!

Lee

Offline dedelite

• Write for yourself, even if no one reads you.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »
Lee,
You know that i loved this story. I think you sent me  a copy after writing it. It is moving and a great little piece of nostalgia that can be passed down. How is your book? When and where can I obtain a copy.
Very proud of you.

Love,
dedelite

Offline davidleejones13

• MoriaVaratu
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »
Thanks Dede.
You are always so kind.
The book is still about two weeks away from being published. Check out the awesome review on Lulu.com.

http://www.lulu.com/content/6367345

I am currently filling out the form that will make it available to the book store databases, so if you want wait about three and a half weeks and order it through your local book store. Or, just check out Amazon and all the other retail outlets on the internet at around the same time.

Thanks Dede. You are a sweetheart.

Lee