Author Topic: Please help me get the desired effect from the message box  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Maria

Please help me get the desired effect from the message box
« on: January 14, 2006, 03:28:22 PM »
Can anyone out there help me how do I get the bold and underline etc to work in these message boxes? all I seem to manage is symbols and letters coming up on the page when I click on anything like bold or underline, then the flippin thing still writes as normal very frustrating grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Maria
x
There is no such word as CANT

Lin

Re: Please help me get the desired effect from the message box
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 03:57:09 PM »
Oh its ok if letters come up because when you post the reply you will get the desired effect when you press POST it will all turn out as you requested.

Lin

Jayel

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 08:22:12 PM »
Those little symbols will create the effect when you post.

When you type your message and want bold or italics or underlined you will need to highlight the word(s) involved and then, while the word is highlighted click on the icon for the style you want.  You should see bracket enclosed b for bold, i for italics, etc. at the sides of your highlighted word.  Once you see the bracketed code, that tells you it is read to show up the way you want in your post.

You can also just type in the bracketed code if you prefer.  Example: [ b ] (without the spaces) before your word and [ /b ] (without the spaces) after the word, will give you a word that is bold. Bracketed i will give you italics and bracketed u will give you underlining. 

;) Welcome to the world of BBCode.

Offline RFrank

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 01:23:49 AM »
Well lets see.. Let me click the "B" above.Where is it? This gives me som code.  I wonder if the Italic will be better?Is this Italic??
It seems that its HTML language and you have to insert or type between the code symbols.
How about underline: Is is this underlined?? Again its an open and close code symbol.
Hope this helps..

Offline RFrank

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 01:36:35 AM »
You can click the symbol you want from above. such as the typical "B" for Bold.  I'll click it and then type.I clicked the bold symbol above.  Now I've placed my cursor outside the bold stop symbol [ /b ] to stop typing in bold.  Now I will click on the Italic symbol sbove: This gave me an Italic /i in brackets that I am typing between and pushing the close symbol.  Again I have moved the cursor to the right of the close [ /i ] symbol to stop the italics.  Lets try another one: This is suppose to be glow???? red???. Now I have again moved outside the close symbol to stop using the "glow".
The following is suppose to be a Marquee:  Is this moving, and moving along?? If it moves like a marquee then it must be working.
Try just responding to your own message and try out the different control icons above.

Offline RFrank

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 01:53:41 AM »
When I said, "Above" I was refereing to when you are composing your message.  My screen shows various icon buttons to choose from similar to a word processor.  Since this is online its typing in HTML and you won't see any thing except the open and close symbols for what ever you choose.  Like this: [b ] [ \b].   I've added a space in the symbol so it won't follow the command.  You actually type between the two sets of brackets. [b ] type in here [\b ].
Lets see what happens when I highlight some words and click the symbol. If this is bold it worked.  I think it worked because I see the open and closed symbol before and after the words.  So... there are a couple of ways to get what you want.
Lets see what happens when I click bold, type something and click bold again: I have clicked bols and I will click bold againI clicked bold a second time and I have two end symbols that my text is pushing. I have move the cursor outside the closed symbols that I was pushing. 
I'll submitt this now.

Offline RFrank

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 02:01:36 AM »
Well it doesn't look like you can click a button twice to end a command.  Probably the easiest way will be to just highlight the text you want affected and click the appropriate symbol.
Have fun..  I'll just marquee the next sentence.
Happy days are here again, and all our friends are here again......I never said I was a poet.

Offline Maria

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 07:51:09 PM »
Thanks, everyone now I understand and can be quite BOLDOR maybe just underline the importance of my mistakes.

Maria
X

Offline Maria

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 07:53:07 PM »
OOps Think I did the first one wrong

Maria
x

Jayel

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 09:04:40 PM »
*thumbs up* Looks like you've got it!  Just remember the symbol with the / always goes after the word or phrase you are changing.