Author Topic: Scriptwriters: Where's Your Logline?  (Read 7578 times)

PaulW

Re: Scriptwriters: Where's Your Logline?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »
Just my opinion.

Wolfe is right - you will need the logline eventually. If you are going to sell scripts, get used to writing them.

Lin is right - you don't necessarily need it here. Some people are making their first steps in scriptwriting, exploring the format and asking for guidance with that. Let them learn to stay on their feet before they do the ice-dancing. :) Also, some questions are about explicit areas of concern. (Does this dialogue work - How do I express... - etc). The logline is largely irrelevant to these.

For the people posting there (few and far between), tell us what you need from your reviews. If you are asking 'is this ready?' I'd seriously include the logline as it will give your readers context.

As to the 'is this how things work here?' stuff Lin. Nope, not really. Quite a few members, not just Wolfe, put posts of the 'we should encourage...' type. Those of us that agree with it go along, those of us that don't, ignore it. There's no background agenda, no politics. Look at the number of posters that don't bother critting others before putting their own work up - yet they still get reviewed. There ARE ways to get more people to read/crit your work - (formatting it properly, commenting on other's work, etc) - but if you ignore that advice, so be it, just don't whine if you don't get many responses. Wolfe gives excellent crits - if you want a review from him and haven't stuck a logline in - you reduce your chances of getting one. Pure pragmatism really.

I think it would be interesting to have a separate loglines thread though - in the same vein as the 'how is my first line?' thread on the prose board.

Offline eric

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »
Cheers to Paul, of whom I was thinking just as I sat down to the computer.  I considered challenging him to a duel, since he once said something that irritated me, but of course I'm much too lazy.  Luckily, he has a demon duck, and I have a demon dog.  We know who would eat whom, but these days contests to the death are more refined.  I was thinking of each posting the worst thing that the respective pet did in the last twenty-four hours for seven days straight, then submitting it to a vote.  I would have the advantage of a truly awful canine chum, while Paul would have the advantage of a limitlessly imaginary friend.  But it all seems too much work.

I think Paul is right, by the way, that there may be a way to reconcile loglines with our madness (or inanity take your pick), actually two of them, and they're right here in front of us.  That would have the happy effect of feeding our rather malnourished scripts board.  If Lin and Wolfe both share their expertise in the respective threads, that might be a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:03:42 PM by eric »

PaulW

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 12:03:26 PM »
I considered challenging him to a duel, since he once said something that irritated me, but of course I'm much too lazy. 

Just once? God I must be slipping! ;D

Alas, the demon duck is a shadow of his former self. The baby drowned him in the bath, maliciously and repeatedly. Rather than the old ringing 'MUAHAHAHA' it's now 'Mua-squelch-AH-slosh-glug-AHA-squirt'. Nowhere near as impressive. :( Additionally, the baby listened to his plans for world domination and laughed at them, detailing his failings and showing him HER plans. It destroyed his fragile ego. He is currently developing a hunchback and slouching round the house practising his lisp and fawning on his new 'mithtreth'.
;D

Offline eric

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »
Alas, the demon duck is a shadow of his former self. The baby drowned him in the bath, maliciously and repeatedly. Rather than the old ringing 'MUAHAHAHA' it's now 'Mua-squelch-AH-slosh-glug-AHA-squirt'.

Heh, yeah, that reminds me of me. 

LinRobinson

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 01:44:48 PM »
if you want a review from him

I canīt decide it that's a joke or just one more person here trying to piss me off.

I must disagree that loglines are difficult to create.

Sorry, I probabably should have specified "good, workable loglines that are useful".  Forgive me for the assumption,  I'm new here.

PaulW

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »
I canīt decide it that's a joke or just one more person here trying to piss me off.

Neither really. Just a generic 'you' using Wolfe as an example. Mostly, I was addressing the thread rather than yourself. However, if you go looking for offence, you're sure to find it.

It seems to me that if you come in with all guns blazing like this you aren't going to get the right sort of attention. Perhaps you want to chill out a little and knock that chip off your shoulder. If you read my post I was actually supporting a lot of what you said. So no, I wasn't out to piss anybody off.

It seems that every time I return to the forum though I encounter yet another poster with attitude. It's stopped being fun. So, thanks to all the great people I've met on this forum (if you chill out you might get a chance to meet them yourself) and adieu.

Offline eric

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 02:52:02 PM »
Might I point out that the role of English as a means of communication, rather than as the practice of warfare against your colleagues, may be much of the reason we use pens instead of clubs to write. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:11:48 PM by eric »

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
Enough said on the disagreement on this thread. If this continues to be a thread where the insults continue to be thrown at each other willy nilly, yet another thread will need to be locked to curtail it. I have had to delete a post here for that reason.

Freedom of speech or not, this will no longer be tolerated, pack up your marbles, back off and cool down!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:20:25 PM by fire-fly »
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »
...may be much of the reason we use pens instead of clubs to write.

Crap! Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

LinRobinson

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 11:36:02 AM »
My thought exactly. 

Probably explains my writer's cramp, as well.