Author Topic: Self-publish Question  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Reese Brown

Self-publish Question
« on: March 27, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »
Question 1 Are there any real self-publishing service? The reason that I ask is because I know their are a lot of scams.

If so what is the price of the services and the range of service? I'm considering self-publishing in the case that I don't get a book deal.

I would love an answer to this question from any writer in the circle that knows about this subject first hand.

Signed Reese Brown

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
Re: Self-publish Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:08:39 PM »
This is the place I used and was very happy: http://www2.xlibris.com/

Also look at the bottom of this page for another.
Skip

Offline misaditas

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »
There's also Lulu.com
"If you take the shackles off your imagination, you can go anywhere with science fiction." ~ Lani Tupu

misadventures in time and space

Offline c.higginson

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:53:31 AM »
Can you be published properly once you've been self-published?
Chris.

Offline reddsh

• Cute but Jaded
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 06:34:02 PM »
Reese Brown, also try http://www.wordclay.com.

c.higginson, it's been done.  Writers have self-published and then submitted their work to publishers/agents.  I know there was a famous example of this, but I don't remember which book it was.  I would be careful, though.  I do know that some publishers aren't fond of already self-published work.  If you're considering real publishing, I would pursue agents/publishers, and then resort to self-publishing only after you've exhausted all of your choices.
The author gets to choose when the story is finally dead. ~Castledoor

LinRobinson

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »
If you think about it, there is nothing about self-publishing that would give you some stigma that would make you unpublishable by others.  That's not the sort of criteron used in choosing people to publish.

I realize you hear a little hysteria about this on the web, but think it out.

There is really no such thing as a publishing "service" that isn't a ripoff, as far as I'm concerned.   

I hear people talking up xlibirs, but it generally turns out to be a multi-level payoff thing.

You don't really have to pay people hundreds of dollars to publish a book.  You can do it on lulu.com for free.   There are also publishing applications on amazon, such as CreateSpace and the do-avoid BookSurge.

If you plan of making money and being a publisher go directly to Lightning Source  and set up an account.  If you just want to hold a book in your hands and give one to mom or flash one to impress that chick at Starbucks, lulu.com is the hot setup.

Offline c.higginson

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 02:11:49 AM »
Not Starbucks, how crass!

Thanks for all the help.
Chris.