Author Topic: Society blog thing  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
Re: Society blog thing
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »
I think it is possible to be authoritarian without being abusive.

The grands all know what a time out means and what crying won't get you. The oldest (6) is actually quite civilized, considering.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline emma112

• Fantasy heals the wounds of reality.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »
I think it is possible to be authoritarian without being abusive.

I totally agree. But the government seems to think that we can only relate abuse with authority, so they are extra careful in trying to make parents less authoritarian. Which doesn't make sense at all, if you ask me.
Being less authoritarian can only create more problems. There would be no back-bone, no conduct in which to learn from, and definitely no role-model figures in children's lives.
All this may seem like the best thing that the government has ever come up with, to children. But, I'm sure that they would regret not listening to their parents when they're older...
Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us - Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Offline robc

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Hear,  Hear!

Offline emma112

• Fantasy heals the wounds of reality.
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »
;D ;D
Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us - Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Offline veronica Flynn

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »
Hi Spell Chick, well you sure stirred up a lot of controversy on this.  I liked it and enjoyed reading everyone else's thoughts too.  I am also a grandmother, of nine, sort of.  (that's another story)  But I did raise 5 children and of course was a child myself.  Lots of stories here....another day.   I would not even try to respond to all the other responses, except to say on I think 505's.  And just how would you be sure of who are the good guys and who are the bad? Would you be the judge? The teachers? the courts?  Anyhow, thanks Spell Chick, now I think I have some material and can start drafting a bunch of ideas.  V Flynn

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
veronica,

It's only fair you have much to think and write about. I got this idea from another thread in another venue. So, I guess ... tag, you're it. :D

rearing children is a difficult and arduous task. i think the more we talk about, the better for everyone.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

twisted wheel

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »
beat your children once a day just to show them who is boss

Offline dynodreamer

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 07:19:13 PM »
Fear and non-accountability are killers. It's not as simple as saying ... "Don't worry, be happy", but I have an idea that praying for peace is something we all might aspire to do.

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there isnít any - Yogi Berra
[Ask a Doctor when he feels he might quit practicing Medicine and work on theory!]