Author Topic: Book Proposals Non Fiction  (Read 821 times)

Offline marilyn

• spiritual-pursuits
Book Proposals Non Fiction
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »
Can someone help please. I am being bombarded with being told that I must make my book proposal witty and stand out from all the others and I have no got a clue how to start. Also I am supposed to have my peers say wonderful things about my work so that I have quotes from them. How do I do this. I know I sound silly but I am new at this and I am not sure at this stage where to turn. If someone could advise me I would be grateful.
Thanks a lot  ???
Marilyn

Wolfe

Re: Book Proposals Non Fiction
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:53:56 AM »
Hello Marilyn.  I'm Wolfe. I know my way around fiction queries and nonfiction proposals.  The first step I recommend is that you read books on preparing a nonfiction proposal.  Unlike fiction, as you may already know, the project may be incomplete before you query the agents.

I recommend reading Elizabeth Lyon's Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody can Write.  Elizabeth knows her stuff in literary and teaching circles.

Start there.

Wolfe
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:08:42 PM by Wolfe »

Offline marilyn

• spiritual-pursuits
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
Thank you Wolfe I will certainly get the book. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I feel like a fish out of water at the minute.
Thanks again
Marilyn

Offline gabriel522

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:46:55 PM »
Hello
my first post!
I share the same problem basically - i have a project and i must develop the book proposal for an editor. I have very little experience with query letters as i have landed a monthly 1500 words column in a technical magazine and been going at it for almost two years.
So i read books (not the one recommanded since my mothertongue, as you may have noticed is french.
But if you like we could work together and see what we each other make of the recommandations of the authors we consult about how to assemble the non fiction book proposal and share our experience.
I would be glad to go about this so that we assist each other.
What do you say?
Michel Gauthier

Offline marilyn

• spiritual-pursuits
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:17:49 AM »
Great idea. This is my first foray into serious writing. There are times I wonder why I am doing this except that I know I have to for me. So it would be great to join forces. As they say two brains are better than one.
Marilyn