Author Topic: Contests Week: Monday Challenge  (Read 7143 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Contests Week: Monday Challenge
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:00:10 AM »
Today's challenge is to create a piece of FLASH FICTION. The prize is a copy of WCCL's blockbusting NOVEL IN A MONTH tutorial, a complete guide to planning, writing and editing your novel in just four weeks. The contest will be judged by MWC's moderator team, with the exception of Don86usa, who is forwarding entries for this contest and therefore excluded from voting.

For this challenge we would like you to write a short story in exactly 100 words (no more, no less), including all three of the following words: jocular, envelope, precursor (these exact words, no derivatives from them). In addition, you should give your story a title of up to 15 words. The words in the title will not count towards the 100 words in the story. Note that words with apostrophes count as one word, as do hyphenated words, e.g. vice-versa and couldn't. Numbers which are written as digits, including decimals, count as one word, e.g. 9.8 or 147.

We will be looking for a complete story with a beginning, middle and an end, which follows all of these rules. It should incorporate the three words above in as natural a way as possible. The three words should not stand out from the rest of the story. Please do not capitalize them or do anything else to draw attention to them, therefore.

Submit your entry by PM (Personal Message) to moderator Don86usa, who will forward all entries anonymously to the other mods. You can send Don a PM by clicking here to go to his profile page and clicking on the link 'Send this member a personal message' near the bottom. Use the subject line Monday Challenge and please avoid including your name or any other identifying information in your entry. You will, of course, need to be a registered member of the forum and logged in to be able to enter. Just one story per member, please, so make it a good one!

Note that this is a 24-hour challenge, and the latest time you can submit entries is 9 am GMT on Tuesday 10 March. In fairness to all members we CANNOT extend this deadline for anyone, so please don't ask.

Please do NOT post your story as a reply here. If you do this, it will have to be disqualified as we will not be able to judge it anonymously. On the other hand, if you have any queries, please post them as replies below, and either I or another moderator will do our best to answer them. It is best not to send queries by PM, as there may then be a delay in getting them answered.

We will post the results of the challenge here as soon as possible once it has been judged.

Good luck!

Nick
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:01:21 AM by Nick »
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline vulcan

• View Profile
Re: Sticky: Contests Week: Monday Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 05:13:16 AM »
Hi Nick,

Could you clarify further what do you mean by "Flash Fiction"? Thanks.

Offline iCeFaiRy

• I just love words...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:14:09 AM »
Hello!  :D

Do words like she's, it's, you're, etc. count as 1 word?
The writer's job is not to judge, but to seek to understand. (Ernest Hemingway)

Wisdom has its root in goodness, not goodness its root in wisdom. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

A loving heart is the truest wisdom. (Charles Dickens)

Offline vulcan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:20:10 AM »
For standardization, could we use Microsoft Word/count command as a tool to count as you stated it has to be 100words.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:27:22 AM »
Thanks for the questions...

1. Flash fiction is simply a term used to describe very short fiction. All the info you need to know is in the rules here.

2. Words with apostrophes count as one word, as do hyphenated words, e.g. vice-versa and couldn't. Numbers which are written as digits, including decimals, count as one word, e.g. 9.8 or 147.

3. Not everyone uses Word, so please do a manual word count using the rules above. That makes it the same for everyone. It shouldn't take you too long to count to 100!

Have fun  :)

Nick

Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline iCeFaiRy

• I just love words...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:31:21 AM »
Thanks!  ;D
The writer's job is not to judge, but to seek to understand. (Ernest Hemingway)

Wisdom has its root in goodness, not goodness its root in wisdom. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

A loving heart is the truest wisdom. (Charles Dickens)

Offline hagaraiseiji

• View Profile
    • Aquavallo (deviantART)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 12:05:54 PM »
Any taboo subjects?
The weak hinder us.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 12:18:30 PM »
Nothing particular, apart from the usual rules of the forum. Please see http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7415.0

Nick

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
Hi Nick,

What about city names that use two words like Las Vegas? Shall we count them as one or two words?

Thanks.

~Deb
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
Deb, Nick's time zone is much later.
So I will take a stab at this.

I personally would count it as two words. Especially since Vegas is often written without the Las.
Frisco with the San
LA without writing it out

Any way, If I was counting the words, and I will be    :o
   I would give that a count of two
   One for Las
       One for Vegas.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »
I think I would agree with Patti on this Deb.

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »
Thank you both. I thought so too but thought it best to be on the safe side.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:19:12 PM by DGSquared »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Contests Week: Monday Challenge
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 05:03:20 AM »
Please note that this contest is now CLOSED!

Good luck to everyone who entered. We will post the name of the winner and all the entries here as soon as judging has been completed.

Nick  :)

Offline JoAnneG

• View Profile
Re: Contests Week: Monday Challenge
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 06:36:23 PM »
Submitted by: JoAnne Graham

Senior Dating
Sitting at the computer, Janet stares at the email message on filling out a form to introduce herself that she is looking for someone to possible meet and start dating once again.
Janet heard about these online dating programs, but never thought she would even give them a thought.  But moving into a new community and not knowing anyone and the town being small, she thought what would it hurt to see how these programs work. 
So she starts filling out the form.  Before she knew it she was on board.
Another email comes through welcoming her, and to take a look at the matches they had already picked  for her.  Janet was surprised that some profiles drew her interest. But when she went to open up the contact area, she was told she was going to have to pay a fee to go further with the contacts.
Oh Boy, she thought to herself.  This is where they get you.  Okay one month I'll give it a try.

The next day Janet opened her computer and to her surprise, she had a email message that she had more profiles matching to hers.  So sending a few flirts as the program called them to spark their interest, she waits.
Late that afternoon to her surprise, she get an answer back.  One said he was impressed by her flirt, but he was already into a relationship.
Oh great, thought Janet. Why did they send this fellow's profile.  Why don't the fellows contact me first if they are interested in me?  This got Janet to wondering why were the fellows sitting and waiting for the gals to start off the interest?  Janet was raised as an old fashion gal, that the fellow was to do the approaching first.
Were the fellows just as scared as she was?  So Janet decided to wait a few more days before sending any more messages out.
The next day Janet gets another message that someone was interested in her and sure enough, Don sent her a message that he wanted to talk with her.  Janet's heart jumped a beat and she thought, is this going to be okay.
In talking with Don on the phone, Janet felt comfortable enough to take him up on a lunch date. 
They decided to meet in another town not far from where they both lived.
The day the luncheon was to take place, Janet's nerves were jumping like a school girl, but then on the other side, she was anxious to see where this would go.  It will be nice to have someone to talk and go out with as I don't like to go by myself all the time, Janet thought to herself.
Janet pulled into the parking lot of Applebees, and there Don stood by the front door waiting for her.  He was handsome like in his picture and stood taller than she expected.
All through the lunch Janet was enjoying herself and feeling comfortable with Don.  Janet was hoping the feeling was mutual.  As they left outside the restraunt, Don let Janet know he had a nice time and would like to possible meet again. Janet agreed and they said good-by. 
That evening, the phone rings and Don wanted to thank her again for the nice lunch date, and to check she did make it home okay. 
Janet smiled after hanging up the phone, that Don was interested enough in her and she went to bed feeling good she had possible found her second mate.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:02:53 PM by JoAnneG »