Author Topic: Teaching Writing  (Read 2544 times)

Offline penguinpirate

Teaching Writing
« on: March 06, 2009, 12:13:14 PM »
Hello all,

I was just thinking to myself, as I try to teach special education students how to use descriptive words in writing, wouldn't it be nifty if there was a division of the board that was solely devoted to teachers working on teaching English and writing. I'm sure there are threads here and there and that there is the workshop section, but it would be convenient to have a section for teachers. Any thoughts or did I miss the point of any sections or anything? Keep me informed! :)

Offline PretzelGirl

• the exquisite corpse shall drink new wine
Re: Teaching Writing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:43:39 PM »
I'm a teacher and English is my strong point, so yeah, that would be interesting. I guess we could do it in this thread, at least.
Smoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas!
- A. J. Rimmer, Red Dwarf

Offline eric

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 07:52:05 PM »
There is sporadic, almost constant comment in isolated threads about English usage and the need to use the language well (or not depending on one's point of view), so it seems to me there may be a  market among us for what you seek.  I don't know how many teachers you have here, though.  I know the teachers are out there in the big wide world ... I don't know how many we have in this forum.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:57:13 PM by eric »

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:44:34 PM »
There is sporadic, almost constant comment in isolated threads about English usage...

Eric makes an excellent point that there is a running dialogue on these boards regarding the use and misuse of the language. True, the subject may be part of a broader discussion but it is there nonetheless. Such would be expected on a site catering to the needs of writers.

Many forums already exist whose sole purpose is to cater to the needs of language teachers.

http://www.englishforums.com/

However convenient such a board might be here, allocating resources that will benefit only a subset of the membership probably won't happen. That shouldn't dissuade you from posing a question about teaching. Writers are known to have opinions about lots of things. :) 

I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline Linda Aitchison

• A little bit about me x
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:47:25 AM »
I lead workshops in how to successfully run a freelance writing career if anyone is interested in that!
Best wishes
Linda
<a href="http://www.freelancewritingtips.com">"Currently updating and adding to my book on freelance writing</a>

Offline penguinpirate

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »
The reason I brought it up really is that I am just not an English teacher by trade. I'm sure other boards exist but I just don't have the time to belong to a million forums; you know what I mean? Anyhow, it was just a thought :)

Offline PretzelGirl

• the exquisite corpse shall drink new wine
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »
Start a thread...really. I'm a teacher and English is my major. I'm not an expert, but we can discuss things and I guarantee others will have something to suggest.
Smoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas!
- A. J. Rimmer, Red Dwarf

Offline eric

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 06:51:11 PM »
Yeah, good idea Pretzel, people will get interested.  Definitely go ahead, I think.

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 12:23:22 AM »
New threads are always a good idea. Particularly those with a purpose.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline penguinpirate

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »
In that case, when the question arises, where would be the best place to stuff something like that? I couldn't think of a place which looked overly appropriate. I was thinking that perhaps the workshop area might work, but I don't know.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 01:42:12 PM »
In that case, when the question arises, where would be the best place to stuff something like that? I couldn't think of a place which looked overly appropriate. I was thinking that perhaps the workshop area might work, but I don't know.

You might take a look at All The Write Questions board. It looks like a good fit for this topic.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi