Author Topic: A must read  (Read 7071 times)

Offline salvatorepublishing

Re: A must read
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »
Well I can honestly say I've never seen so many attacks on a MWC member. This is bordering on (attempted) bullying. While I have no doubt that the recipient of this constant barrage of snide remarks can more than handle himself, I still want to address the issue. Why? Because these attacks are subversive. They apparantly come from several different members but there is a theme here. Indeed there seems to be an obvious attempt to MAKE these members seem like different people. The phrase I want to use is 'planned and co-ordinated.'

Did someone leave the doors open at the local asylum?   

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »
It would seem so.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline rewh2oman

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 06:00:31 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism

I normally don't get involved or respond to such threads as these, but, this time I'm going to through my 2-cents into this witches brew.

I'm far from a literary expert, but, this debate has reared its ugly head one to many times. Let's get back to writing and being civil. We're all supposedly here for one purpose: the written word. If those of us who have such a common bond can't get along or agree to disagree, then it's no wonder the World is such a messed up place.

Take any critique here at MWC with a grain of salt. Take what you want or can from whoever you wish. Personally, there are those here whose feedback I respect a great deal. Others...not so much. Keep in mind there are few here at MWC who've ever meant and have gotten to know each other as individuals. Thus, everything posted, can and is, interpreted in various ways depending on who is reading it and their personal disposition at the time. Don't read into something that's not there.

In today's world, everyone must have rhino skin. Why, because that's the way society has made it.

Perhaps the reason why we're so touchy is due to the economy?  :D

IMHO.

... peace and love, Russ

Offline salvatorepublishing

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 06:04:27 PM »
Perhaps the reason why we're so touchy is due to the economy?

Err, well it wasn't, but now you've reminded me I feel even WORSE!!

Peace and whatever

Guy

Offline pb

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 06:28:05 PM »
i've read loads of good advice and the best yet i reckon was the wolfe one. for what it's worth i didnt think it was, like, in any way bad/conceited/ blah de blah etc etc...it was the sort of advice you want to hear SURELY.

i owuld LOVE to hear some stories about the 'foolishness' wolfe has experienced that made him decide 'vever again'.

also...i think the instinctive educational lean towards dialectic response and linear ideas of progress perhaps fuse at a subconcious level in readers of posts. for example someone will read a post that comes after their own and assujme eveything in it refers to them even when it quite obviously does not and then incredibly take up a counter argument to the one they had originally based on an originally wrong surmise that the next person was talking to them. yes/no dialectics work in science experiments but diffuse impressions formed by the overall conversation is what suits conversations about art/

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »

Well, it beggars belief what has been happening the last few days on MWC. I take umbrage at being used as a pawn in very stupid game playing.

I have the highest respect for the members on here, especially the likes of Paul, Wolfe, Guy, Gyppo, Cathy, Nadine, Amie, Don etc.etc., In fact, the list is so long. Shall I tell you why? These people dragged me kicking and screaming through the learning process. Not once have any of them belittled or even balked at any one of my silly questions. They have never patronized or made me feel inferior. Nor have they ever bullied me.

Indeed with my first post my hackles rose when Paul gave me some advice. Did I take it? Well, after I told him off yes I did. See I was embarrassed. However, after a day of thinking about what he said I realized he was trying to help me. Wolfe, his crit must have taken him hours, but he gave me those hours free of charge, and I took in what he tried to show me.

Advice is like gold dust and I am only thankful we have such wonderful members we can call upon. New and old ones.

In fact, some of the new people that have come on here are coming out with great crits. They are never cruel or attacking the writer or previous reviewers. As writers we can digest all advice given and take or disregard because we have the choice to do this. Just as when we do crits we can choose who we do or do not crit.

We have some wonderful newbies who have come here because they really want to learn, and they will too if they leave themselves open to all advice and learn what is good and bad. This is part of the learning process.

Cadey the people named above and hundreds of other members have earned my respect. We may not agree all the time, in fact, it would be a boring old world if we did, but we all have a mutual respect no matter how high or low on the writing ladder we are. That respect was earned.

I urge members let's get this show back on the road and look forward to the up and coming competitions. :)

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 09:10:01 PM »
I urge members let's get this show back on the road and look forward...

Can I get an amen?
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline Plain_Jane

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 09:39:20 PM »
I completely agree with ma100. I'm pretty much still a newbie here, and definitely a new writer. I have tons of silly questions, and need a lot of work on my writing. However, I have found nothing but support from this forum. I love that the members are completely honest and willing to show me the way.

That being said, I have seem some comments or criticisms lately that I don't feel are appropriate. They may have been too harsh or attacking a person directly. I think everyone just needs to be mindful of what they say and how their words come across. Hopefully, the rudeness will diminish.

Offline winniethepooh4102

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 12:54:59 AM »
I have my impressions from a few other forums and I already know,
there are people, who are wandering between the forums. Some of
them I can recognize instantly only from a few words. They can only
flaunt with their good English, but cannot write anything sensible or
at least deserving readerís attention. The only their way to show
their possibilities is to put a stick in the wheel of somebody. Now
Iím observing one person on other two forums, but I donít know
yet if one person here is the same. With its critiques this person
hinder the real critiques. I refused to critisize one work to not add
fuel to the fire, but this work had the need of critiques.
But as a whole this forum is the best from what I saw so far.
So goes the world everywhere and on the forums is as in the
life, but it is good that we are here of our free will and have
many other possibilities to express ourselves. I have a little
experience with agents and publishers, trying to get some help
with my bad English. No one of them said my project is bad,
because they donít know what will happen further and can
appreciate some things. But they want to see a real written story.
Do we know, who presenting for the first time here will become
one day a real and famous writer. We can only guess from his
first attempts and can encourage or destroy him. When we have
nothing positive to say it is better to keep silence. And if the
corresponding person can understand it will understand.
But this forums I think are not only schools for writers, they
are places for exchange and fight of ideas about the writing and
the world as a whole. Everyone who can say something different
and interesting in this sense of the things is welcome, because
someone has ideas and someone else has a need of ideas. As for
me I feel myself open in the two directions. And I know some
people are coming here mainly to see something new as ideas or
written with new ideas. Therefore I think we have to be more
broad-minded and more tolerant each to other.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:39:27 AM by winniethepooh4102 »

Offline Vienna

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 02:51:51 AM »

well I think "we" are on this forum  for a number of reasons and I stopped wanting or needing anyone to tell me why I am in or on a certain place a long time ago :)

with respect of course
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 04:18:54 AM »
This higher up was about the conflict of the reasons, for which
"we" are here and  I didní want to tell you something personally.
But as I see you are at my age and Iím getting curious, what are
your reasons.

with respect only

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 04:43:48 AM »
Spring must be coming. Everybody's been so jumpy lately (me included).  :)

Let's bury this dead horse now, shall we? All whiners will be ignored. No offense will be taken. All well meaning comments will be pondered and appreciated even if we don't agree with them. We all give each other something precious here: our time. Don't forget to be grateful.

Annmarie
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 04:49:58 AM »
 ;D
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 05:02:14 AM »
The early spring always make people nervous, but we here
eventually can have a little laugh. :)

Offline patti

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 06:21:09 AM »
I know you want over with this thread but I just want to say as a newbie I have already learnt such alot from all you guys. I've been writing for about 6 years and I blew a golden opportunity awhile back because I wasn't professional. I learnt a valuable lesson. Be professional - always. I totally respect Wolf's posts, I don't know who you are but you know your stuff. On the other hand I also hope this forum is a place I can let my guard down a little and air my feelings once in awhile. After all, we're all friends - right?? :)