Author Topic: welcme to writers circle... and get lots of email spam!  (Read 7672 times)

Offline JoD

• View Profile
    • Anything Worth Doing: A true story of adventure, friendship and tragedy on the last of the West's great rivers: available in June.
Re: welcme to writers circle... and get lots of email spam!
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 11:01:05 AM »
I suppose so. I understand why things can go wrong when you're starting up new things like this, but still... it's annoying.

I went into the Notifications and Email section of my profile and unchecked the box that said "Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email."

I hope that stops it, but even if it doesn't, I won't see the newsletter again, unless I decide to have a look at what's in my spam folder.

good idea. thanks!
The last of the West's great wild rivers. A handmade dory. And two men, determined to live their dreams -- at any cost. ANYTHING WORTH DOING. http://www.jodeurbrouck.com/

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 11:22:10 AM »
I thought I was the only being badgered by the internet man of mystery that is Trent Steele and the self help forum I neither need nor signed on for.

I shall try and unsubscribe as best I can.

I know it's petty but the name 'Trent Steele' really bugs me now. Sounds like a made up name from marvel comics  ???
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is now available to buy on Amazon in both paperback and kindle.

Please search 'Aaron J Booth' on Amazon to find the product.

Offline karlmoore

• Esteemed Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Karl Moore.com
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 09:31:28 PM »
I'm looking into this now.

Offline karlmoore

• Esteemed Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Karl Moore.com
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 09:52:05 PM »
Hi Gang,

Thanks for your message. I've just checked into this and have news to report.

In essence, we have unfortunately sent out the wrong newsletter to the wrong audience. The safeguards we had in to stop this from happening didn't kick in properly, due to poorly tested code. I have personally gone in to validate the code and can confirm it won't happen again.

Just to recap on a few points:

1) We have accidentally mailed some myWritersCircle.com customers with SelfDevelopmentForum.com newsletters -- on November 17th and December 1st. This is entirely our fault, and we sincerely apologize for the trouble caused. It's incredibly embarassing!

2) The Smart Writers newsletter, Trent, the self-help forum, etc -- aren't "evil beings." They're just our newsletters. They're the thing which enables us to keep this forum running. Without them, we wouldn't be able to generate the pennies of income that help keep this site alive.

3) No data has been shared where it shouldn't have been shared. The same company runs both forums, and administrators have access to the same information. We simply selected the wrong newsletter to send to the wrong list.

4) To unsubscribe, just uncheck the box to receive announcements. Marking as "Spam" or just letting our mail hit your spam folder is a really poor way to handle e-mail, and results in us continuing to send messages when we shouldn't be. Just uncheck the box to stop receiving announcements.

I hope this makes sense.

Again, I'm sorry, and can assure you that this will not occur in future.

Kindest,

Karl

Offline JoD

• View Profile
    • Anything Worth Doing: A true story of adventure, friendship and tragedy on the last of the West's great rivers: available in June.
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 09:03:24 AM »
appreciate the tone of your reply karl.

i think (hope) it's doubtful that most recipients had a big problem with the emails. in a Kodak moments world all cool opportunities and websites would be acts of perfect altruism but in this world money doesn't grow on tomato vines. i've been sort of surprised that i didn't receive MORE targeted spam from this site. y'all's restraint has been appreciated. the spam i have received was off target for me, but not enough that it was irritating.
The last of the West's great wild rivers. A handmade dory. And two men, determined to live their dreams -- at any cost. ANYTHING WORTH DOING. http://www.jodeurbrouck.com/