Author Topic: For like minded romance writers  (Read 11577 times)

Lin

Re: For like minded romance writers
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 05:11:50 AM »
I have to say that the fantasy romance doesn't appeal to me.  I like to go for the real thing.  The reason I do this is because we are all voyeurs as a means of relating to our own lives. I like to give my readers chance to do this, its quite a buzz for me.

I have to say there are two kinds of romance I suppose - the fantasy where you completely go into a world of your own with the characters or the voyeur type where you can empathise with the characters as being like yourself and look into their lives without anyone pointing the finger at you!

My book is the real world with a little bit of literal licence!!  I use real places and put characters into those places.  I try to do my research so that anyone who has been to those places can relate to the story easily.  I try to consider my market out there too.

Of course wildlife is my passion and hopefully I can add some colour into the story with the birds, flowers and scenery.  The plot is fun to put together.

I have a very vivid imagination and can write a story very easily placing all the story sequences into my head without having to worry too much about who does what and to whom.  Perhaps I'm very lucky I can do that and wrote my present book in just three months working some days 9 hours a day. I suppose I learned this skill from my job as a trainer of driving instructors.  Everything had to be in a logical sequence otherwise you might have an accident!!  I became very good at my job and I think the skills I learned from that have helped me a lot in my writing.

It was like a river of words pouring and pouring from my mind, sometimes a waterfall gushing from a rock above.  Goodness knows why it happens that way, it just does.  I just couldnt stop typing, hardly stopping for a break.  There was no energy being used, so food wasn't as issue.

Now I think I am ready to do it again when I have finished this book.  Its so exciting and gives me an adrenaline rush which seems to last for a long time.

Romance writing is so therapeutic, it allows you to bring together two people whom you get to know really well and its almost like they are your best friends.

The hard part is editing the words but even that is a challenge and when you can see light at the end of the tunnel - it's an amazing feeling.

Lin x

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:15:58 AM by Orangutansaver »

Offline flights_of_fantasy

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 06:33:44 AM »
I think I'm the opposite, Lin. I tend to shy away from straight contemporary stories, because reading is my escape from the real world and sometimes contemporaries can be too close to that gritty world you see on the news.

However, what I read and what I write are separate. I don't mind writing contemporary stories, although there is usually an element of escape hidden somewhere within. I wrote one story about a group of actors, and the 'escape' came in the fact they dressed in period costume to play their parts, which distanced them from real life ... at least until the show was over, when cruel reality came crashing back into their lives.

there are two kinds of romance I suppose - the fantasy where you completely go into a world of your own with the characters or the voyeur type where you can empathise with the characters as being like yourself and look into their lives without anyone pointing the finger at you!
I understand what you mean, but I don't believe the romance genre can be so firmly delineated. It's more of a rainbow, fading gradually from one colour to the other. It's possible to have real life fantasy, just as you can empathise with, and recognise traits in, fantastic scenes and characters, if it's well written.

When I think of one of my favourite ever contemporary romances, I realise it is also completely fantastic, because the story is about a scenario I will never experience: a rock band on tour.

I can promise you, a sexy Rock God comes a very close second in the irresistibly gorgeous stakes.
Heather

"A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century, with some hot gypsies thrown in. My magnum opus, Baldrick. Everybody has one novel in them, and this is mine."
Edmund Blackadder, Blackadder the Third, Ink & Incapability

Lin

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 10:56:31 AM »
Love it!!  Pictures of Rock Gods in my mind.

Lin x

Offline emma112

• Fantasy heals the wounds of reality.
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
Lol! Rock Gods...  ;D

I'd like to ask though, do you guys write about the love you already feel for someone, like your own experiences from your husbands/wives/partners etc. (if you have a partner, that is)? Or do you write about a different love that you've always wanted, but you've never actually experienced it fully?
Or maybe you have been inspired by a movie/book and used that kind of love that is described there?

I hope that made sense...   :)

Emma x x x
Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us - Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Lin

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 05:02:48 PM »
Do you know Emma I really don't know the answer to that one.  I wrote the first thing that came into my head!!

Lin x

Offline emma112

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »
Hmm.. I know it was quite a difficult question, it's just that I wanted some pointers, because with me being so young, I have never experienced the kind of love that I would hopefully like to describe of my characters.

So, would you say that it is just something that comes naturally? And not something you really have to think about or base on emotions that you have already experienced?

Thanks,
          Emma x x x
Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us - Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 05:36:21 PM »
Lol! Rock Gods...  ;D

I'd like to ask though, do you guys write about the love you already feel for someone, like your own experiences from your husbands/wives/partners etc. (if you have a partner, that is)? Or do you write about a different love that you've always wanted, but you've never actually experienced it fully?
Or maybe you have been inspired by a movie/book and used that kind of love that is described there?

I hope that made sense...   :)

Emma x x x

I would imagine all of the above and more come into play when we write about any emotion, plus a good dose of imagination at times.   :-*         :-*
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 02:10:24 AM »
Emma, don't think your age or experience puts you at a disadvantage. The stuff I write comes mostly from my imagination, although occasionally something I read in the newspaper or a song might trigger an idea.

Some of it might even be wishful thinking on my part.  :)

Heather

"A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century, with some hot gypsies thrown in. My magnum opus, Baldrick. Everybody has one novel in them, and this is mine."

Lin

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 03:46:47 AM »
I agree write from the heart.  Or if you get a bit of writers block on this, try reading more romance.

It will

a.  give you an idea of what other writers portray
b.  You will find a style you like or

c.  Listen to music lyrics

The other thing you might consider is looking around you and doing some people watching whilst sitting on a park bench
Think about the man of your dreams and what kind of woman he should have!!  Look around you in every day life.  Take your notebook outside with you.  I do.

Describe him on a separate new page.  What does he wear how romantic he is, what does look like, you could base him on a real person, someone who has always taken your fancy.  Change his hair colour!

I dont think I based Sven on anyone really.  I think he was a guy I would like to have had, but he was purely fiction.  Pippa is probably me, but she doesnt look like me, behave like me or have the problems I have had - hers are far worse!!  LOL ::)  The only part of me in Pippa, is the fact that she is at one with nature.

The other characters in the book are based on one or two friends, who gave me permission to describe their house in the book.  They like the story, but even so my friends became three totally different people once I started writing it.

Yes dont let age get to you!  Dont be scared to write anything unbelievable either.  This is what writing is all about, being able to learn by discovery and you can play god and change things.

Lin x

Offline emma112

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 11:06:48 AM »
Thanks Alice, flights and Lin!

And thanks for the pointers! I'll have to try and find some time at the weekend to take my notebook outside with me. I do have an idea of what my dream man would be (what girl doesn't??) and I'd like to think that Eleanor (MC) is a bit like me, as she has some similarities in personality, but not in looks, she is way prettier than me! :)

I love listening to romance lyrics and music, I guess I'm kind of in love with Robert Pattinson's new song, Let Me Sign - one of the most romantic songs I have heard! So, I guess that is helping me a lot at the moment. I do believe that I am old enough to know how to express myself that way and not write about the 'typical' kind of girly teenage love, which is not what my kind of love is about in the book. It is genuine, romantic love that I guess I have always wanted to have in life.

And same here, Lin! I tried to base some of my characters on a few of my friends, with their permission, but they have ended up changing and are not actually anything like what my friends are!

Thanks everyone, this has helped!

Emma x x x x

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:10:22 AM by emma112 »

Offline Swampfox one

• Old Warriors donít die; They play with cats
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 11:59:34 AM »
Lol! Rock Gods... 

I hope that made sense...   

Emma x x x

Inspiration comes from everywhere.  I mainly write from my own experiences but I do take from others.  I use my experiences as a model that I can plug anything, anyone into. As an example once you have been in love and know the feeling (if one ever can) then you can put anyone or thing into that model.  Hope this helps. 

Offline emma112

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 12:36:48 PM »
Hey, JH.

Yeah, that helped thanks a lot!

Emma x x x

Offline Swampfox one

• Old Warriors donít die; They play with cats
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »
Hey, JH.

Yeah, that helped thanks a lot!

Emma x x x

One thing I forgot that I think is important. The farther away from your experience the easier it is to write it with other people in it.  ??? ;)

Offline emma112

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 03:59:46 PM »
Okay... I think I got that lol.  :)

Thanks,
           Emma x x x

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 04:14:14 PM »
On the topic of romance heroes, I've just found a couple of interesting links:

The eight hero archetypes

The eight female archetypes

They describe different hero/heroine types found in romance novels, and make for interesting reading - if only so you know which stereotypes to steer clear of!
Heather