Author Topic: Religions  (Read 41698 times)

Nelodra

Re: Religions
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 03:49:15 AM »
At this point, I'd like to introduce a wonderful website called "Godchecker."  It could help inform the debate, which I'm really looking forward to.

http://www.godchecker.com/

Wonderful site, Conan.

Celtic gods, anyone?

Offline Conanthedoylarian

• Conanthedoylarian
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 05:26:38 AM »
Is that verse from my Bible?

There are quite a few versions about so I can't be sure.  One I read many years ago was even more specific.  It read:

"In the beginning was the word. And the word was with God, and the word was a God."

But since I no longer have that copy and could not verify it I used the King James translation.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:29:18 AM by Conanthedoylarian »

Nelodra

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 06:09:22 AM »
I read that translation too, Conan. If only I could remember which translation it was...

• Conanthedoylarian
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 07:56:03 AM »

The inquisition wasn't strated by Christians but by the Catholics Ferdnand II of Aragon and Isabela I of Castel. Let's give the credit where credit it due mates! *lol*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition

When I followed that link, it talked about the Spanish Inquisition rather than the various programs which historically fall under the label of inquisition.  See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisition

for more information.

So, credit where credit is due - the first one appears to have been

"The first medieval inquisition, the episcopal inquisition, was established in the year 1184 by a papal bull entitled Ad abolendam, "For the purpose of doing away with." "

source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Inquisition

and was aimed at supressing heresy, a thought crime.  In other words - disagreement.  Notice it kicked off 268 years before Ferdinand (credited earlier in this thread) was born.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_II_of_Aragon

So, it would appear that credit should really go to Pope Lucius III.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 08:23:49 AM »
Inquisitions were useful in that they suppressed disagreement, but they also provided a means to enrich the inquisitors. Property owned by the "heretics" was confiscated and handed over to the church. What a stroke of tactical genius there.

I have a friend who insists that as all religions enter their "teen" years, they go through a bit of nonsense. The Catholic church was first a branch of Judaism. Their rules and regulations weren't really codified until the council of Nicea - hence the Nicene Creed. And that as in 300something. I can't remember the actual year but mid century somewhere.

So eight hundred years later, they were rampant vigilantes.

It is interesting that Mohammad began his religion in the 600s somewhere, again, I am not going to look up the date, but it's late century, I think.

And so now .... jihad.

I love the Norse pantheon and Loki is my favorite god of all.

Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Hugh

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 08:29:07 AM »
Without wishing to offend anyone who has strong religious views, I thought you might appreciate a potted version of how various beliefs view adversity.  This is a copy of a plaque a daughter gave me, knowing Iím interested in what people believe and why (with acknowledgements to whoever wrote it).

RELIGIOUS TRUTHS

TAOISM
Shit happens

BUDDHISM
If shit happens, it isnít really shit

HINDUISM
This shit has happened before

ISLAM
If shit happens, it is the will of Allah

CATHOLICISM
Shit happens because you deserve it

PROTESTANTISM
Let shit happen to somebody else

JUDAISM
Why does shit always happen to us?

My own view stems, I think, from having worked with the Masai tribe in East Africa, looking after 6,000 head of cattle on a 100,000-acre ranch, a memorable time of my life.  To me, their belief was simple and made sense.  Ngai is everywhere: in the earth, the sky, the rocks, the trees, people and, above all, the cattle.    A far cry from the trappings and hypocrisy of the western church I had been confirmed into by the Archbishop of somewhere or other, because at the time it was the thing to do, and immediately regretted it because it made me feel like a hypocrite.   

To the Masai, shit was something to build huts with, and for the women to mix with the red earth, and fat, and put on their skin.  They looked fantastic, but the smell when two or three were in the back of my Land Rover was something that took me a long time to get used to.  For Kaikai, my Masai assistant, it was the equivalent of Chanel No5, and put a huge smile on his face whenever I stopped to give some women a lift.

They were simple, gentle people, with strict moral codes and, to me, more civilised in their outlook than many westerners.  They lived in harmony with nature and the cattle, which they believe Ngai had given to the Masai because they were the best people to look after them, just as the Kikuyu had been given tools to till the ground to grow food, and the Kamba, weapons in order to hunt.

The belief in their Ngai-given function on earth is reflected in the typical Masai greeting: ďI hope your cattle are well.Ē

I find this simple approach to spirituality very appealing, and donít want to have to go to a special building and have someone dressed in expensive robes to tell me what to believe.  The evidence of something beyond ourselves is all around us.  I donít feel the need to worship it, merely appreciate and be part of it. 

Hugh

twisted wheel

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 09:32:35 AM »
you know what makes me angry here is the sniping that went on last night by various members towards the history of christianity. we've heard it all before. you wanna see some shit going on where religion is at the forefront - GAZA. is there any need to bomb the shit out of that country? i don't think so.

so instead of pointing fingers at one religion for all the world's problems, let me just say this ...

mankind does not need religion to show how evil he/she can be. we are pretty capable of doing that on our own with God/a god or whatever your belief is.

christianity has had it's fair share of wars. Islam too, but this wasn't mentioned a lot, the jews now in Gaza. let's have some fair representation. i thought the idea of the thread was to understand each other not berate and cast some aside as though they are wrong. this thread is dead for me :(

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »
Let me say this as well; sometimes religious wars are started because no one wants to admit that they WANT to start a war in the first place. I don't believe the Bush war on Terrorism started out as a Religious war, it became like that over time.

I know, I know, someone is going to say that I don't know anything, that it was all Bush fault. That may be so, I don't know what you know. But, here is what I know, I know that somewhere down the line someone claimed it as a Religious war on the Terrorist side.

I think that the Inquisition was just as bad as the Holocost, that it was a Tyrranic show of power. Innocent people died, and I think that is the hugest sin anyone can commit, the killing of innocent people. The Holocost and the Inquisition were both claimed under holy and religious reasons, but, that doesn't make it right. That was murder plain and simple.

And, to temper that, I know that there were some Nazis/Inquisitors who didn't want to do that, but did so out of fear.

twisted wheel

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
i'm just wondering why you feel the need to deny the place of nazareth and the birth of christ. is it because you would have to look into yourself and accept what he said? as for saying that christians have got many bible stories wrong, don't they follow the tanach - old testament as well as you do. saying that you can pray where you want by quoting isaiah is funny. why do jews make such a big song and dance about the temple then? see you next year in yerushalayem is the quote i believe. is that where all the trouble stems from - the jews wanted the 'holy land' back and kicked out the arabs. it must be a real eye sore to see a mosque on the beloved site of the temple
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:18:41 PM by midnight candle »

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 05:01:35 PM »
i'm just wondering why you feel the need to deny the place of nazareth and the birth of christ. is it because you would have to look into yourself and accept what he said? as for saying that christians have got many bible stories wrong, don't they follow the tanach - old testament as well as you do. saying that you can pray where you want by quoting isaiah is funny. why do jews make such a big song and dabce about the temple then? see you next year in yerushalayem is the quote i believe. is that where all the trouble stems from - the jews wanted the 'holy land' back and kicjked out the arabs. it must be a real eye sore to see a mosque on the beloved site of the temple

Jews and Palistitians have been going back and forth about this all the time. Its quite tiring really.
All I know is that the world shall end when these two actually sit around the camp fire smoking a peace pipe! *lol*
Anyway, Prayer for me is different. It's okay for me to pray a list. But I need to also pray for God to have his plan in place and let him know that I am on board with it.

Offline ellie

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 05:07:34 PM »
I have no doubt of the existence of God...what happened to my younger son proved it beyond doubt.He experienced God and the living Christ.

Religions?  They are all man-made. When you see how the pope lives shut away in the vatican..this isn't following Christ's teachings. Jesus' message was one of love & forgiveness and he told his disciples to go and spread the good word of the kingdom of Heaven.

I don't belong to any religious sect. I think that if you believe in Christ's teachings, as I do then you should live it. I have no need to go into a building to pray, I do that in  my own bedroom at night.

The Bible says 'Put not your trust in men'..and I don't.

I had a very simple teaching in Christianity, going to a little missionary school, where the Sunday school teachers were all working men & women with families...to me they were true followers of Christ and lived their Christianity.
When my father was killed in that terrible road crash they were kindness itself to my Mother and we children...they carried out their Christian beliefs for real.

To me, Christ's words of 'Love one another'  are the most important words in the New Testament...
but will the day ever come when this happens?
Im off to bed soon as my hip is so painful tonight.....God bless you all and bring you love and fulfillment,
lotsa love
ellieXX
p.s. Just read Nilonimir's post and I say 'amen ' to her last sentence ;)
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Nelodra

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 06:20:17 PM »
It is interesting that Mohammad began his religion in the 600s somewhere, again, I am not going to look up the date, but it's late century, I think.

OK, A quick search taught me that Mohammed was born around 570 CE, and had his first vision/revelation in 610.
The beginning of the Islamic calendar seems to be the year 622 CE.

I love the Norse pantheon and Loki is my favorite god of all.

Loki is the name of one of my friend's sons.  :)
Could you tell us some more about Loki and the Norse pantheon, please?

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »
Loki is the Norse god of Chaos.

Patron saint of my life.   :D

• Conanthedoylarian
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 06:27:21 PM »
Hi Ellie - hope the hip's feeling better.

That sounds like an ideal way to live the heart of the Christian message - love one another.

I for one, knowing little about Islam, would love to see someone come onto the thread and tell us more.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »
Valhalla and Mount Olympus and the Heavens above.

I could look up more places where god lives, but does anyone know why it is always in the sky?
Or is my experience with mythologies limited and it isn't always in the sky.

What is it about up there that makes it an ideal place for gods to live?