Author Topic: Challenge 48 Winner!  (Read 6824 times)

Offline Xerika

• Rob Johnson - writing, podcasting and reluctantly olive farming
Challenge 48 Winner!
« on: February 03, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »
And the clear winner of Challenge 48 is...

Chaucer with Memories From The Quiet Observer!!!

Many congratulations to you. Personally, I think it's the best thing you've written since The Canterbury Tales;) :)

Many thanks to everyone else who entered the challenge and to all those who voted.

For anyone who wants to have another look at the entries, here's the link - http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=18798.new#new.
http://rob-johnson.org.uk/ - writing, podcasting and reluctant olive farming

"I'd Rather Eat My Own Face" podcast. The truth about olive harvesting. http://wp.me/p2bC2C-8U

"If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it." - Elmore Leonard

Offline Akeith (Gray)

• Waiting for a drink...
Re: Challenge 48 Winner!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »
Yea!!! Congratulations to you.

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 07:28:24 PM »
Well done Chaucer and well done to all the rest. :)

Offline eric

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
This is a terrific piece, Chaucer, and my best for a job exceedingly well done.  Kudos.  Given Jade's intense interest, I am sure she will be checking in upon the morrow (or what passes for it on your side of the world), and I think you need not fear her poison darts.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:56:20 PM by eric »

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
 ;D ;D

Congratulations Chaucer, have fun with the next one.
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:12:20 PM »
Congratulations Chaucer.

I seriously liked your story; so much so that I voted for it over my own.

Well done.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Chaucer

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:09:53 AM »
You guys have put a big smile on my face.   Canterbury tales and poison darts......so funny!

Thank you all for your kind words----- I have a few of my own if you will permit me:

I've grown rather attached to the other four stories in this challenge.   I didn't realize when I joined this site the talent that's on here.   It's almost surreal.  It seems that some of the more advanced writers are pulling up the beginner and intermediate ones to a new level, towards their own level, unselfishly, and as if they know the importance of their untold stories.   It is this type of energy through which I wrote my story, and so I thank you.  I'd also like to thank the members of the SSL forum who helped me edit my story.....so I share my little victory with them as well.    And for Bomber and the Brigadier.....there really is such a thing as a muse....I thank the both of you too. 

Waiting at the Beach:  This author took the risk of opening with a one word sentence.   So brilliant.  After reading it I couldn't help compare it to an old book that sits on my shelf---Jonathan Livingston Segull, by Richard Bach.   It just reminded me of it.  I would be shocked to learn the writer of Waiting at the Beach is not a published writer as it goes so deep and the imagery, just astounding.   

It shares the same tempo----like ocean waves washing up on shore----as my own story.   And it is just so beautifully written.  This is perfection, my story is not.

Liquid Hell:  Another unusual opening that draws the reader right in.  The author writes like the masters of a time long since past but not forgotten.  Not many writers this day and age can write like this.  This writer is a true poet.  The last line:  "and drains the seas to quench the fires of Hell"  lingers on in the readers mind.........and must have come from the inbetween world of human thought and reality, it is just so stunning.  My words after reading it, "Whoa!  Where did this come from?"   Again, just so stunning.  And the rhyming, I could go on and on.......

The Show:  This is so imaginative! This is also not my genre of choice, yet I was captivated while reading right to the end.   With the  imagery and the knowledge of diving---I know a lot of effort was put into this very well written piece.  I could easily see this on the big screen as a movie. This author gave such a good description of what I should be seeing in my mind's eye as I read his/her story, yet made it all seem so effortless;  I hope the author hangs onto to this piece, and perhaps develops it into something larger as it is quite special. 

The Big Drip:   This was such a witty piece! I laughed out loud!  The opening, again, very unusual, but draws the reader in.  The first paragraph sets the pace for the story and reads extremely smooth.  Terrific dialogue.  I love the description of breakfast, I actually got hungry.   I gasped at the end then laughed as I identified with the main character.....when there's a bit of truth to the humor, it makes it that much more funny! I think this writer was talking about my husband.   :D :D :D   Thanks for the ideas.....now I know how to motivate him.  This story's a keeper for sure!

That's all I wanted to say...........I still can't believe my story won..... :-[ :-\ :o :'( :D  ;D and finally  :) and at peace.  It's been an adventure.

Xerika, I'll e-mail you as to how this challenge thingy works.  I've got to get some sleep as it is 12:44 here on the east coast, USA Tomorrow night then....

toodles pip pip!  :D

Chaucer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:20:14 AM »
Thank you Country4Gal.....not sure which story you wrote, but they were all so excellent!   I think you should try and submit anywhere and everywhere as I think all the pieces on here should be published!  The talent on this site..............amazing!

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »
Chaucer, Kudos for being such a gracious winner.

MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Jade

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 12:19:42 PM »
Oh Chaucer - Congrats - I read your piece like every day, while the voting was on, and it was greater every time I read it.

Droool...

Heh
Jade
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
Cyril Connolly

"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave." ~Mohandas Gandhi

twisted wheel

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:22:28 PM »
i always love your work. you rock. 8)

daryl 8)

... and you managed to achieve something that J K Rowling hasn't - you won the MWC writing challenge. how cool is that ;D

Chaucer

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 03:50:06 PM »
ooooooh, you guys................. :-*!

Thanks for your kind words.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 03:52:04 PM by Chaucer »

Offline davidleejones13

• Just whispering to the future...
    • MoriaVaratu
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 11:55:39 PM »
Way to go Chaucer, Great story! ;D

Kicked my TOOKASS!!! :(

Chaucer

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »
thank you davidleejones 13
you are very kind

Way to go Chaucer, Great story! ;D

Kicked my TOOKASS!!! :(

and funny  :D

Offline davidleejones13

• Just whispering to the future...
    • MoriaVaratu
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 01:25:55 PM »
Chaucer,
Thank you for the nice words about THE SHOW. That was very kind of you. To tell you the truth, I know nothing of diving, just read up on a few websites when the idea of the plot came to me upon reading the challenge.

Your story was breath taking. I love the romance the 28 year old has with the sea. Also, the romance in it's style was brilliant. I love this story very much and I urge you, if you have not already, to repost this over in the Gallery for the whole forum to read. You are a very talented and creative writer and MWC is fortunate to have you here. Good luck with your very imaginative ability, I am sure it will take you far for you have a very unique feel to your work.

Now the "caw" of life is calling...I must go rejoin society and reafirm I am a FUNCTIONING member...it is time to go to work. If you are ever in my part of the Eastern Coast of the US, come by, sit down, have a drink and tell a story.

Sincerely,
Lee
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:27:32 PM by davidleejones13 »