Author Topic: writing your interests, or fantasies/obsessions?  (Read 20830 times)

GondorianPrincess

Re: writing your interests, or fantasies/obsessions?
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2009, 02:17:48 PM »
I think that no one drew the line in the sand.

What sort of fantasies, the ones that fill our heads and give us the urge to write. Or the sort of fantasies that one may be embarassed by and another loves and writes that....0_0*

Offline RandomAmber

• Loneliness is about the scariest thing out there.
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2009, 02:19:52 PM »
I don't know but the topic implies both

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2009, 02:20:37 PM »
But there has to be a difference. Anyone can tell me that I am writing a fantasy!

Offline RandomAmber

« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »
Well the way I think of it I don't personally wite my own fantasies either to discard later or to put in a story.  I might give a character a problem or affliction but that still doesn't mean that that character is me. it just means if it calls for it and the character would have that kind of thing then I'll write it in.   but this is beacuase I know or have knowledge of it. 

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:33 PM »
I agree. I don't put myself into my books. There may be parts of me in characters, but sometimes that cannot be helped. *lol* at least I can be very sarcastic when it comes to Zohar. He's supposed to be sarcastic. Naomi is supposed to be kind but strong and the Prince...well, he's supposed to be weird in the first place. *lol*

Offline PretzelGirl

• the exquisite corpse shall drink new wine
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2009, 07:43:44 PM »
I've seen all the POTC movies, Nilonimir, and I know which scene you're talking about. I'm not fond of Orlando Bloom because he's the same in every movie, it's like he's the same character in different costume. And I don't like Will Turner because he's so...basic, uninteresting. Elizabeth has her hissy-fits, conflicts of love-interst and lady moments, Jack's well...Jack is Johnny Depp, nothing else needs to be said. Depp is different in every movie and Jack is very charismatic and exciting. But Will bores me to heck.
So, having Orlando dressed in a wig shooting arrows and having the same look and behaviour as in every other movie...meh. Give me Nuada, played by a much less prominent actor who did a much better job any day.

As for the fantasy part, the point of my thread was establishing what the fine line between fantasy as an interest or fantasy as an obsession is...
Smoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas!
- A. J. Rimmer, Red Dwarf

Offline RandomAmber

« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2009, 07:50:09 PM »
Ah, now where talking. 
Well then If i had to i would research such things as needed but a dont wrote that kind of stuff then i dont need to.  if that clears anything up i'd be suprised lol

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
As for the fantasy part, the point of my thread was establishing what the fine line between fantasy as an interest or fantasy as an obsession is...
Making sure your fantasy characters have some human aspects that readers can relate to. I think.

I'm not a fantasy fan as such but I do love certain fantasy books and films. The ones I'm drawn to are always the one in which a fantasy character has believable personality traits. A vampire who enjoys drinking blood, loves being immortal, has no problems watching loved ones who aren't immortal die one-by-one before her eyes and is so happy with her life she could just spit (or bite) is uninteresting. It may be fun to fantasize about what it would be like to be that carefree but characters who are always happy, all the time, are boring to read about. When you are writing just to live out your carefree fantasy and not to create something readable you've left the land of interest and entered the land of obsession.

A vampire who, like Louis in Rice's Interview With a Vampire, is having trouble reconcilling his need to drink blood to survive with his gentle, humanitarian personality is intreguing. Which one of us in our own lives hasn't had to reconcile what we have to do with what we would like to do?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:39:38 PM by Gayle »
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
I've seen all the POTC movies, Nilonimir, and I know which scene you're talking about. I'm not fond of Orlando Bloom because he's the same in every movie, it's like he's the same character in different costume. And I don't like Will Turner because he's so...basic, uninteresting. Elizabeth has her hissy-fits, conflicts of love-interst and lady moments, Jack's well...Jack is Johnny Depp, nothing else needs to be said. Depp is different in every movie and Jack is very charismatic and exciting. But Will bores me to heck.
So, having Orlando dressed in a wig shooting arrows and having the same look and behaviour as in every other movie...meh. Give me Nuada, played by a much less prominent actor who did a much better job any day.

I think he hcanged minutly. He at least isn't as stupid in the third movie as he is in the first. That just was...omg...I cannot believe he did that! its embarassing for a charcter to do something so stupid. You should at least know what the other person wants before doing anything, you don't know what sort of situation you might find yourself in. *lol*

I liked that Will learned how to manipulate. Maybe not as well as Captain Jack, but, he did his best and thats all I can ask for the character. *lol*

Anyway...

I thought fantasies as things that characters would NEVER do. Like get with a persont hey despise or something.