Author Topic: splitting ideas  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Maria

splitting ideas
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:32:30 PM »
 :-\ Hello folks, 

as a newbe I am still playing around with all the ideas running around in my head I have so much I want to write about but I need to split the ideas into different books, otherwise it will be longer than War and Peace, anyone got any ideas how I should break things down.

Maria
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 04:14:17 AM by Nick »
There is no such word as CANT

Lin

Re: splitting ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 04:28:05 PM »
There is some software called New Novelist you can find on the web but I usually use Mind Manager.   Its a Mind Mapping system which was founded by Tony Buzan.   If you want to know more please e-mail me and I will send you some information.   I can teach you how to do it but the software is very useful as you can do this on your PC, but it can be done just as easily with a piece of paper and some felt tip pens,  For me this works well as it helps me to break down my ideas into smaller chunks and so on.  I have to say that I found New Novellist a bit laborious, but I suppose Ill get used to it for my next novel.  Mind mapping is a great way to organise things.

There is a book you could get out of the library.   Its called The Mindmap Book by Tony Buzan.  It explains in the book how to write your ideas for a novel.

I hope this helps

Lin
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 04:14:30 AM by Nick »

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 04:13:12 AM »
I've used mind maps for many years. I saw Tony Buzan's BBC series "Use Your Head" which first introduced the concept back in my teens. I used the method to take notes at lectures when I was a student, much to the amusement of some of the other undergrads! I still use it sometimes in the early stages of planning books and articles.

Wikipedia has a good introduction to mind mapping, with links to free software (though personally I think pen and paper is fine) and much more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map

Nick GM
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 04:14:46 AM by Nick »
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

SuzieHarris

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 11:06:15 AM »
There is software available as Lin says, and mind mapping as Nick suggests, but I use the following ways:

Book:

The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing, by surprise surprsie, Marshall. Thats availalbe on Amazon.Included in the book are forms for you to make and print, to fill in the details and track them.

Software:

Wizards 4 Word, an add-on to Microsoft Word. available at: http://www.wizards4word.com/
In this you can save as many book ideas as you want  and work on them as you choose.

Suzie

Lin

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 11:33:24 AM »
Hi Nick et al

Yes I have to say that if it wasn't for mind mapping I would not have gained the business success I did in 2002.   In just three weeks I had an enormous mind map on my office wall outlining all the dreams I had for the business.   It was amazing.   We improved our business techniques in just a few weeks and set goals in lots of coloured pens and we stuck to the goals like glue, because it was on the mind map.  I made lots of money because of this, it opened up a whole new horizon in my style of living and working in just one year.  Mind maps can be very powerful, it depends of what you want to use them for, but the potential for success is fantastic.

You are quite right people think you are crazy when you use them, but there is no doubt that if you really understand their potential you can change your way of thinking and working by being totally organised using the maps.   I found it very rewarding and lots of fun.  I organised my students to work with this method and they would write their lesson plans for thier own pupils using mind mapping.  The pupils became more logical in their thinking too by having an instructor who introduced the lesson in a very logical order,  it was brilliant.

As far as writing is concerned, everything you have in your head can immediately be written on the map.   This is not brainstorming, more of an organised way of mapping your concept just like a road map  but with all the ideas placed in their logical boxes. If anyone out there would like more basic information on how to do this please let me know, I would be glad to help.  Its so easy really.

Regards
Lin

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Mind mapping
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 07:09:05 AM »
As a matter of interest, I was recommended this free mind mapping software today.

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I haven't yet tried it, but it looks good.

Nick GM
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 09:24:17 AM »
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Suzie, I will be purchasing Wizards 4 word, it looks really good. Nick, I've downloaded Freemind to give it a go. Lin, thanks for your thoughts on the subject.  :) Aelf

Offline Maria

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 06:50:03 PM »
Wow! Thanks folks for all your tips I am most impressed and will give these idea's a go.  Although I have to admit that at the moment being very new to writing I feel so silly.  Almost each person on the site including other new members, seem to know lots more than myself.  I really must buckle down a bit more, but at the moment we are moving house so things are difficult, even so I find myself writing and scribblling till the wee small hours.  It has become like an itch that must be scratched and the more I do the more I want to do.
Anyway thanks again folks.

Maria
x
There is no such word as CANT