Author Topic: How evil is too evil?  (Read 11719 times)

GondorianPrincess

Re: How evil is too evil?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 04:49:33 PM »
I am fond of Elizabeth Bathory and VLad the Implaer as well.

I quite agree, Louie.

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »
Now, Nilonimir, shall we escape these white walls with our straight jackets and begin our eevil task of… shaving off kittin fur?!

mwahahahahah

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 05:00:46 PM »
Why lets, that should be fun!

***Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!****

Wolfe

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »
Getting back to the question, there's no such character as too evil.  But, there's such as creature as over-the-top in believability.  When the character is more comic book than novel, there's a problem.

Also, remember to balance your antagonist and protagonist.  If one is much more powerful than the other, it may become too lop-sided to interest the reader. But, always give the advantage to the antagonist.

Personally, I would add the dog.  I recommend giving a villain at least one redeemable quality.  It creates a stronger story. And, it can create an interesting plot point.

After all, what do the neighbors always say after they discover their fellow neighbor was a serial killer?

"But, he was such a quiet and nice guy..."

The best evil in fiction isn't always the most obvious.  ;)   

Wolfe
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:27:31 PM by Wolfe »

Offline thatLous

• formerly ThatLouie ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »
"But, he was such a quiet and nice guy..."

The best evil in fiction isn't always the most obvious.  ;)

And the most obvious ones aren't really the most dangerous - at least with them you can run away from ;D

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »
yes, but sometimes the evil gets to too...pity-ing.

Offline RandomAmber

• Loneliness is about the scariest thing out there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »
How evil is too evil? well Hitler killed so many, he had a dog.

Keep in mind that people with these tendencies are as others have said the quiet ones but they're  are also the loud ones too.  As for the ego thing well yes this does play an important part but it depends on the reasons for why  your character is like this.  In other words you need a decent trigger that sets off this cycle.  Many killings are done for revenge, money or because of some slight whether real or imagined.  if you want a redeeming feature within your character then justify it.  dont put it there for the sake of it because the reader will feel cheated if its flimsy and end up not bothered whether they live, die or escape or even reddem themselves. 

Perssonally I don't agree with certain reasons that sk's use to justify thier murders.  for example they were beaten or they were poor or parents didn't have enough time for them ect. 

try and make it as unique as you can.  why did your character kill in the first place? was it an accident or just circumstance?  think about the characters justification and then explain it to the reader so that it makes sense even if it isnt the kind of thing others would do the understanding would be there.

I dont agree with anything the nazis did but i understand why they did what they did.  obsticles have to be removed in order to attain the end.  In thi case world domination.  its the same with anything in life, most peole adapt, imrpovise and overcome whatever the obstacle may be but not too the lengths an sk would. 

dont forget the reason why people liked the Lecktor character is because aside from the fact he was charming, cultured and had his own set of morals, being respectful and having manners etc, the people he killed were in many ways worse than he was.

Maybe your killer gets away with murder because of the fact that it is enough for him to know he got away with it.  He's not boastful in other words.
Hope this was of use

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • View Profile
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »

Hope this was of use

Randon, your comments, along with everyone else's have been very helpful. Allowing me to see what I've got right so far and where I might be able to make some improvements.

Wolfe, I had created a post in reply to yours and it apparently became lost somewhere in cyber space.

The jest of it was that I agree I need something to show a spark of human emotions in this bad boy. Now I need to figure out exactly what. If I go with a dog, it will have to be a big one, that much I know. His ego would never allow a small or medium sized dog on the place.

I really appreciate everyone's imput on this.

It's great to be able to pop in and get some feedback on somthing that's nagging and refuses to let go.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 07:47:24 PM »
There is a difference to understanding the Nazi's and why they did it and doing it.
There were some who had no choice and new that they had to do it or be in the same predicament as their victims. I am sure that not all of them were evil/bad people. That was what was given to us during the war to make us hate them. That is what is written about them in our history books so that we always remember the horror that the Nazi's imparted on the Jews.

But, not all of them where bad apples. Hitler was a charismtic leader. He knew the right things to say in order to trick everyone into believing what he believed. I am not that stupid, some dude could be president and be all "lets eradicate so and so" I would not do it and I wouldn't believe him. Not that any Pres. would do it, I am just saying that society now is different than back then. We could have let Sadam Hussein be free and he'd still torture and murder his own people. Hitler was differnet, I know that he had to have imprisoned some of his own people, but most of his urges were on the Jews.

But, with Sadam Hussein, one must ask one self if that man was all right with commiting and ordering unspeakable acts against his own people, plan the 9/11 attacks (I don't care if it might have been an 'inside' job or if the FBI didn't report their suspicions. Someone had to have planned it anyway) and kill innocents who were just going about their every day lives and did not deserve to die in such a way. Than one must also ask what else a man like that would do.

Offline RandomAmber

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 08:07:19 PM »
Yes this is true, the public like monsters it makes them feel safe to know there are boxes to put people in.  I agree that not all nazis were reveling in muder and torture like it was some country village fete.  But my point was to simply illustrate the fact that there has to be a way for the reader to understand the chracters way of thinking.  this is also true with good characters as well. It wasn't supoosed to come across as a personal attack whether idividual or collective. 

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:15:46 PM by RandomAmber »

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 08:24:36 PM »
Yes this is true, the public like monsters it makes them feel safe to know there are boxes to put people in.  I agree that not all nazis were reveling in muder and torture like it was some country village fete.  But my point was to simply illustrate the fact that there has to be a way for the reader to understand the chracters way of thinking.  this is also true with good characters as well. It wasn't supoosed to come across as a personal attack whether idividual or collective. 

I wasn't affened, mate, I hope that I did not affend you. I am sorry if I did.
I was just expounding. Musing so to speak. I do that a lot. I'd rather muse on that than deal with my siblings who disrepect my mother by yelling at her. I am feeling really depressed at the moment because Tony got mad at somehting that I said to my other brother Matt. It wasn't even adressed to Tony in anyway and he got mad at me and took it out on Mom.

Mum was explain my words to him and he just yelled and goes 'I'm affended!'
I basically told my bro, Matt, that he needs to listen to Mum and that he's setting a bad example for the other syblings. OMG, Tony does not realize that by fighting with Mum and being a total jerk to her, like Matt, that he is taking Matt's exampled. *rolls eyes*

boys.

Okay, that probably didn't need to be said. But there it is and I don't care. It's out now and I feel much better.

As for evilness...
Evil comes different shapes an sizes. I call myself evil because I do think pretty evil thoughts. Right now I am having Homicidal issues towards my bro. But, I'm not going to do anything, I'll let my parents do it and pray to God for some absolution. *lol*

Offline RandomAmber

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Ah, Nilinmir, how fair thee are are and such ponderous a soul.  I was not offended, your post actually served to point out how much more careful one has to be with the written word after all you dont have any inflection to go on unlike a one to one conversation. 

Sorry to hear your depressed its quite a knarled old bugger aint it.  Take it from one who knows. get better soon. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:37:56 PM by RandomAmber »

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 08:41:12 PM »
Thank you Random. *lol* you're charming! thank you for making me smile.

Wolfe

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 08:43:11 PM »
Get a room!   :D

Wolfe

Offline RandomAmber

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 08:43:49 PM »
Charming..some would say cheesey lol.  But A smile is worth any amount of cheese.