Author Topic: Interview With The Writers Bureau  (Read 10229 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Interview With The Writers Bureau
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:07:21 AM »
I know from the number of times it crops up on the forum that a lot of you are interested in The Writers Bureau, either as current or potential students.

I have therefore arranged to interview their Director of Studies, Mrs Diana Nadin, on my blog. Please see my post below for more details:

http://www.mywritingblog.com/writer/2009/01/interview-with-writers-bureau.html

I am keen to get any suggestions for useful and interesting questions I can put to Diana. Please reply with your suggestions either on my blog or below.

Many thanks!

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

GondorianPrincess

Re: Interview With The Writers Bureau
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
Why was the WB started?
What is the Wb's mission?
What are the core ideas that the student's may learn?

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »
http://www.writersbureau.com/

because they apparently use frames, you will have to click on the About link at the top to get answers to your questions.

Personally I hate frames for this very reason. But their founding and aims are listed there.
and of course, their curriculum is there, as well.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:11:29 PM »
Thanks, both. Yes, I'm really looking for questions to ask Diana that aren't already answered on the Writers Bureau website.

For example, what happens if you don't get on with your personal tutor? Can you ask for another one?

Or, what evidence will you need to provide if you want to claim under the Writers Bureau's money-back guarantee?

Or, who do you think can benefit most by studying with the Writers Bureau? Are there any groups of people who might be better taking another course instead?

Or, what sort of background do your tutors have? Are they successful writers themselves?

More suggestions are very welcome!

Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:34:41 PM »
Those are much better questions.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 01:56:17 PM »
How do you deal with the variances in American English against British English? Spelling differences are not a problem, but there is a difference in the ways the language is used, depending on one's continent.

Is there extra expertise for those writing with English as a Second Language?

How long, on average, does it take to complete a course? Would that be measured in days, weeks, or months?

For non-locals, is time difference an issue? Is all tutor-based instruction done via email?

Offline Jade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Who should not enroll? Have they had students that cannot be imaginative enough, and where do they draw the line? Or do they even draw a line? Will they be honest with a student that has absolutely no creativity, or is it purely a bussiness-decision, where money is the deciding factor?

(I do think though that this last question needs to be rephrased, so that it does not come across as harsh, but as realistic)

The reason I am asking this, is since every accredited course I have done, had preliminary requirements... and this just makes sense, but how do one rate or judge creativity before commencing on a course? - Particularly in regards to the creative writing course.

I do think that their money back guarantee kind of answers the question about money as a deciding factor, but what about the disappointment of the non-creative... or do they specifically concentrate on teaching 'how to be creative'?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 04:03:11 PM by Jade »
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
Cyril Connolly

"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave." ~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 04:19:53 AM »
Thanks, guys. Some great questions shaping up here. I thought of another one myself:

What's the one piece of advice you would give to new students to ensure they get the most from their course?

But more suggestions are still very welcome!

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 03:44:15 AM »
Just giving this a bump before it vanishes from the front page. I'm still looking for questions to ask Diana in my interview with her.

Offline Linda Aitchison

• View Profile
    • A little bit about me x
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 04:29:36 AM »
Hi Nick,

I'm really interested to know how the tutors who work for The Writing Bureau are recruited and what criteria there are for them to be given the job. I want to know what percentage of their 'graduates' go on to make a good living from writing and I want to know what they have done to counter the negative publicity that ensued when it was revealed that some of the glowing testimonials in their advertising material were exaggerated.

I'd also like to know what they think of their reputation among critics who say that their courses don't prepare students for the realities of a 'writing life' - what steps do they have in place to make sure that their students are getting the best value for money, they can?

I'd like to know more about their marketing strategy - why do they spend so heavily on advertising?

Cheers.
<a href="http://www.freelancewritingtips.com">"Currently updating and adding to my book on freelance writing</a>

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 07:57:32 AM »
Along Linda's line of thinking ...

Is there a screening process for applicants? Do they have to display a modicum of ability or do they take on anyone who signs up for a course? Is there a prerequisite? Or are they trying to make silk purses out of sows' ears?

Offline markrobert

• View Profile
    • Beaver County Writer's Guild
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:59 PM »
Do they represent published or non-published writers?

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 05:49:34 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions - keep 'em coming!

Mark, The Writers Bureau is a UK correspondence college, so they don't actually represent writers in the way an agent would.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 05:59:40 AM »
Last bump. If you would like to suggest any more questions for Diana, please post them here today.

Thanks!

Offline Jakey

• Sometimes words fail me. Sometimes I fail words.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 12:58:44 PM »
Nick

Here's a question that's sat in the back of my mind. I'm doing the course at the moment.

How does a student know if he is receiving a high standard of feedback from his tutor as it is not possible to compare with other coursework?
If coursework is passed onto someone else for comment and the critisism level is significantly higher than the tutor, is this fair to say the standard of tutorial service isn't high enough or does the tutor have limited requirements they are working to? If so, what are they?

The assignments are to be followed sequentially; is there a reason for this rather than allowing the student to complete assignments in their own order of choice? Maybe this question is going into too much detail about the course material.

Jakey
one two three...testing testing...one two three...