Author Topic: A rose by any other name...  (Read 2959 times)

BiancaMiller13

A rose by any other name...
« on: January 13, 2006, 11:48:24 AM »
A huge Hello to everyone, new and old.  I have been MIA as of late and am regretfully sorry because it may continue on untill February.  Quick explaination, I am a Junior High Cheerleading Advisor and my group is going on to a pretty well to do competition at the end of this month and many hours have been going into this to reprepare us for yet another competiton. ***Cation Bad Mom Info*** I am actually postponing my son's birthday to the following week because we leave on that day...he consented without bridery  ;D.

Any who. I have been trying to do all that and work on my writing and I need some help...oh pretty pretty please.  I am looking for a collection of names that may infer...or flat out mean... different colors.  I am mapmaking and wanted to name some key points by colors to match my story theme.  I am looking for metalics, such as copper and silver, as well as are everyday blues, green and red.  Any color you may know of may work.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I will take anything to get going in the right direction.  If you know one, I would love to know it's origin, so I can research, and I will follow any link. 
Thank you in advance and hope to be in here full time soon!!!

Lin

Re: A rose by any other name...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 12:19:02 PM »

I think this is what you wanted as I understand it.   Well I know of one,  Gentian, which comes from the flower.  Heliotrope is another and cochineal comes from the wings of a beetle.   Yellow Ochre I think comes from the special stone, and was, Im not sure, used by the prehistoric tribes to draw cave paintings. I shall try and find that one as i was in Lasceaux in France last year and I have the guide book.

My grandmother always used the word heliotrope for purple.   A good idea is to pop into your local artists shop and have a look at some of the tubes of paint, by Windsor and Newton.   Many of them are still from their original names used by the Old Masters in days gone by.

Hope this helps
Lin

BiancaMiller13

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 12:51:41 PM »
Great Idea Lin. 
It's hard for me to get around these days, and now living in a SMALL town tens to confine what resources I have.  (used to the big ol' apple)  I may look up some artist shops online and see what I can get.
I am also looking for obscure names, old languages even.  Like I said anything helps and will go in my file.

Offline Ky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 08:06:01 AM »
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I looked up some Biblical names (old Hebrew) for a few colors. Charuwts - khaw-roots = Gold, Yeraqraq - yer-ak-rak = Yellow, Keceph - keh-sef = silver. Of course these names have other meanings as well since words have multiple meanings in Hebrew. Of course there are many more.

BiancaMiller13

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 09:54:05 AM »
Thanks KY,
I now can work through the Hebrew text and see what else I can find.  These are colors I am using and my work out to be perfect names.  Thank you for your time.