-
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:23:39 PM by Novawolf »

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
Re: Argument to keep the minimum Driving age at 17
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »
Novawolf, your speech does need a good editing. But I'm only going to take a part of one paragraph to give you a few hints.

The country Everyone know Poland is a country. Don't loose your audiance by telling them things they know. Poland, similar to the United Kingdom dunited kingdom did has or had a similar idea to raise their the minimum driving age,Full stop. Start a new sentence. until this day it has is been one of the countryís Which country are you refering to?downfalls. New paragraph. In 2004 collision deaths reached 5712 deaths accounted for over the year, thatís a 1.3% increase from the previous yearFull Stop. New sentence. showing maybe the great idea to raise the driving age wasnít so great after all. From another corner of Europe, Britain faces the same upcoming dilemma, currently a rate of 3221 deaths and a staggering 7.9% decrease in annual deaths. The previous sentence does not make sense. Clearly itís a cause for concern if such a well educated audience such as you would fall could be blind to these facts. 
What facts? If you use statistice, show the complete story. How many cars were regristered during the year under discussion? How many drivers under the age of 18 were involved in accidents that involved death? You might also want to include, if the numbers can be found, how many of the teen drivers involved in accidents had received drivers training by a professional.

In the earlier portion where you talk about teens wanting to go out to meet their friend and get there "quickly", you might want to rethink how you relate that. The way it sounds to me, the way it is, is that they can't be bothered to take the bus. Think about it, how many of the people that will either be voting on this or having their own say, take the bus on a daily basis to go back and forth to work in order to support their families.

Okay, I'll hush for now. I hope I've been able to help you to some degree with some hints to improve your speech.

MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Novawolf

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:15:56 AM »
 -
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:23:09 PM by Novawolf »

Lin

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:10:59 AM »
As a driving instructor  of 25 years, now retired, I have a lot to say on this subject, but perhaps its not appropriate here.  Maybe you can start up a discussion in the coffee shop where I can reply.

I do know that a very high proportion of people who pass their test under the age of 21 have an accident in the first year against those who are older.

Maybe I could edit this for you?   If you want to send me your text in an e-mail I would be happy to look at it.  A well produced letter will be noted more than a letter which is little shaky on the English translation.  If I can help perhaps you can give me more on the story behind this as I live in Holland now and I am a little out of touch with the  latest rules of UK driving.

BUT please beware. There always was a rumour going around the local  schools and colleges,this was put up for a joke.  This was in the 1990's and the rumour was that the Driving Standards Agency were going to raise the age for driving. This has been going around for many years and occasionally is raises its head.  My students used to frequently come to me with this piece of information and it just wasn't true.   So make sure you have your facts correct.  I haven't heard otherwise recently. Where did you see this information?  Is it hearsay?  There never were any plans to raise the driving age, it was purely a hoax.  Personally though I am for raising the age.  Maybe I can explain why at some other time.

All the best

Lin x

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:16:50 AM by Orangutansaver »

Offline Novawolf

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:15:02 PM »
 -
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:22:28 PM by Novawolf »

Lin

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 02:19:03 AM »
Just send me what you got if you wish and Ill send it back this week.  Don't worry if you can't I'll understand. It is very important though that you send something which can be read easily and is understandable.  I really could do a good job on this for you and save you some time.  No pressure OK?  This is my darling subject!!  I gather you are Polish yourself?

Lin x
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:22:19 AM by Orangutansaver »

Offline Novawolf

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 06:22:38 AM »
 -
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:22:47 PM by Novawolf »

Lin

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:06:49 PM »
Hi There

Having edited your document for you, I hope it fits in with your requirements.  I have sent it as an attachment in an e-mail to you.

As I said in my mail, I hope this now produces a more "grown up" feel to the document and supports the statistics you placed in the text.  Some of the information above, in your post, is factually incorrect.  As I have driving instructor qualifications, I hope I have manage to correct this for you.

All the best

Lin x

Offline Novawolf

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 09:46:14 AM »
 -
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:22:59 PM by Novawolf »

Lin

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 11:10:09 AM »
I searched the net and some of it I already knew as a driving instructor, so I quote from experience as a professional driver trainer. The extract I wrote about more males having accidents than females is a statistic I knew about and I checked it with the net.  You can get a special insurance for ladies which is cheaper, I think its called Lady Drive or something like that.  I used to recommend it to my female students.

Try this link for my information http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article2204067.ece

Of course there is the Pass Plus course for all newly qualified drivers.  The trouble is they dont take advantage of the extra tuition for motorway driving after they pass their test.  I used to be a Grade 6 instructor which is the highest grade in the UK instructor grading system. I kept this qualification for 12 years before retiring.  Its is hard to get a grade 6 as you have to be almost perfect in your check test to attain this grade.  I used to be in the top 500 lady instructors in the UK, but times have changed so don't quote me on this any more!!  I retired 5 years ago after 25 years of teaching the learners and the instructors.

Maybe you can just use some of my text and use it as an example of a "grown up speech" something which sounds positive.  There seemed quite a bit of negativisms in your text and I tried to use encouraging language rather than the negative.

I wish you every success and if I can help further I would be happy to do so.  The following are just stories from my own experience.

My own experience of this is that I would like to raise the miniumum age for driving to 18.  I have had two of my students who were killed in an accident at age 17 and they weren't even driving the car!!  Their mates were driving and they were not my students.    This is so sad as one of my students had only passed his test a week before.  I went to see his parents and on that day his new licence had just arrived, it was so sad. It wasnt his fault he lost his life.  His friend had lessons with his parents who weren't prepared to pay for proper tuition. My student was such a caring lad, but like all learners once they left my care, I had no control over any bad habits my students might have developed, I just had to make sure they got the attitudes needed for defensive driving skills on today's roads

The older you are when you learn to drive, preferably between 21 and 30  the more stable attitude is developed on the road, so it seems.  When I was teaching driving all the learner wanted was cheap lessons, which didn't necessarily get them through their test!!  They ended up paying more and often those who got practice with parents developed the parents not so good habits.  Therefore it took me, as an instructor, longer to teach them how to undo those habits.  Both my kids have learned to drive with me at aged 21 and both passed their test first time.  They are both very stable drivers having learned defensive skills, which, to me, proves it does work.

I want learners to spend as long as possible learning to drive, I feel it is far better than having cheap lessons and trying to simply pass the test.  We have to develop defensive driving skills and perception skills before going on to the road.  This definitely calls for safer driving. Taking longer and starting when a little older isnt such a bad thing.  I know the UK can be a "nanny state" but we do have a very good record for road safety.  Being a "nanny" on this occasion is probably one of the good things.

I could talk about this all day but I wanted to keep the idea you had by not altering your argument to keep the minimum age for driving.  Maybe I can change your mind when you read the link I provided about LOL!! 

All the best to you

Lin x x
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:15:22 AM by Orangutansaver »

Offline Novawolf

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »
 -
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:23:23 PM by Novawolf »

Lin

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »
Ah we are singing the same tune!!