Author Topic: The Writing School (Oxford Open Learning)  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Andy Stevenson

The Writing School (Oxford Open Learning)
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:49:19 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone have any information about The Writing School. I'm thinking about signing up either with it or the Writers Bureau, which is based in Manchester. Does anyone have any knowledge or any recommendations?

Andy Stevenson

Lin

Re: The Writing School (Oxford Open Learning)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:07:28 PM »
I have the Writers Bureau course.  Im still doing it, but I have found that many of us who paid for it don't seem to continue with the assignments.   We are all too busy doing other things.  Its sounds a great idea, but you have to put in the time to do it all.   I was doing fine, but my lifestyle changed as did many of us, whom I know paid for the course,  and we just didnt get around to completing it.

Good luck - it will teach you some interesting things and the tutors are good.   I remember when I was teaching driving.  we had loads of students who paid for our course and  they just didn't get around to finishing it.   They were given three months to claim their money back and many of them didn't bother.  I believe its a common thing with courses, enthusiasm wains and time goes on.  You might be better off going to a local creative writing course where you have to go to the classes, I found that more beneficial meeting other writers.

To add to this, I feel that the course led me away from the writing I wanted to be getting on with.   The Assignments ask you to do all kinds of stuff, which you will benefit from in the long run (or not depending on your viewpoint) I just didn't have the time to be doing the course and writing my novel at the same time.   I also work with the orangutan project so my course has had to be put on hold.

Lin x
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:11:13 AM by Orangutansaver »

Offline jcff

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:15:27 PM »
Hi Andy, I am doing the children's course with the writers bureau and i am enjoying it.  I know what Lin means when she says it sometimes takes you in a path you're not that keen on and I have felt that too sometimes.  BUT then I have pushed myself to do it and surprised myself by doing something and finding interest in something I hadn't expected.  It has widened my horizons and my ability too I think.  My tutor has been great, especially when I have a wobbly and think I cant write!  I am two thirds through it now and nearly at the stage when I set my own assignments rather than do a proscribed one.  I would recommend it but it takes longer than I thought it would.  I have also finished my first novel at the same time (inspired by the exercises) so it is possible to do both, just hard work!  I'm afraid I don't know about The Writing School.  Hope that helps
JCFF

Offline Vienna

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 03:09:19 AM »

hello

i received the writers bureau comprehensive writing course just before christmas and hoping to really get started very soon. Have done some reading of the modules and have to get on with the first assignment...........really have to find the time............
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Andy Stevenson

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 04:37:36 AM »
Thanks to all those who replied to my question about The Writing School. In the absence of any information about it, I have signed up with its rival the Writers Bureau.

Best wishes

Andy Stevenson

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 05:02:58 AM »
I was just going to add, I took a look at The Writing School website today, and wasn't impressed. The links at the foot of the page don't work, whilst the News tab at the top takes you to a WordPress blog with nothing but a 'Hello world' style message on it.

I think you are probably better off going with The Writers Bureau, which is a well established and reputable organisation. Just be sure you are happy with your personal tutor, and if not don't be afraid to ask to change to another one.

Good luck!

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Lin

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »
I agree with Nick, if you are going to go ahead with this, then they are very good and the tutors are very helpful.

Good luck

Lin x

Offline annilor

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 07:44:38 AM »
Hi Andy,

I'm a 70 year old, have always enjoyed writing, and decided with the guarantees the Writers Bureau gives, then nothing would be lost.

I began a year ago last November and completed the course in June '08. Therefore until December last I should been able to publish and earn more than the cost of the course.

I didn't, so thought I would test the guarantee, they came up trumps, I received a cheque before Christmas, most useful.

I enjoyed the course, yes one has to write articles, stories, and get crits by knowlegable tutors. In my case I've learnt a lot more since the course than I did by taking the course, but personally I think they were being kind to this dear old lady!!

I have up to now had four letters (and photos) published, one 2000 word article, and only paid some of the hundred contracted for, and one other article accepted, but not yet published.

Yes do try the Writers Bureau they are good.

Offline Andy Stevenson

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
Thanks Annilor. I'm reading through the first three modules and preparing my first assignment.

Best wishes

Andy

Offline eric

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »
This is interesting.   A friend inquired about a different distance learning course, but I was not very comfortable with the website.  I've corresponded with Writing Bureau folks, and think I would recommend going that way, and of course our own Nick gives that his imprimatur, but would be greatly interested in your reactions Andrew regarding your actual experience with the lessons.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:25:23 PM by eric »

Offline Jade

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
Some links on the Writers Bureau site do not work either - for what it's worth. The lay-out of the site is not very user friendly to me, it's like a labyrinth of going backwards and forwards, just to get to the pages where the links (for whatever reason) are not working.

I have however asked for the prospectus to be sent to me via mail, and will make a final decision once I had time to go through that. But since this would be an online course, I would have preferred knowing that I won't have difficulty browsing the site if and when I do enroll.
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
Cyril Connolly

"A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave." ~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline eric

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 03:29:34 PM »
This is an old problem, and it's rather annoying that WB has not fixed it.  Nick?

Offline Andy Stevenson

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »
I'll let you know how I get on. Not a great start, as my first assignment has been interrupted by builders, rubble and the dust I feel under my fingers even as I type this.

Andy

Offline eric

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:33:44 PM »
Hm, thank you Andy ... My impression, Jade, is that the WB course is not online, it is paper and utilizes the postal authorities.  Nevertheless the problem is annoying.  Would be glad to know how you reject the Writing School for not having good links when the WB has something of the same problem, Nick ... and has not fixed it for years.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 04:44:45 PM »
Hm, thank you Andy ... My impression, Jade, is that the WB course is not online, it is paper and utilizes the postal authorities.  Nevertheless the problem is annoying.  Would be glad to know how you reject the Writing School for not having good links when the WB has something of the same problem, Nick ... and has not fixed it for years.

Fair comment. I wasn't aware there were problems with the Writers Bureau website. But I do know the Writers Bureau pretty well, through working with them in various capacities for a number of years, so I'm comfortable about recommending them. I had never heard of The Writing School before, so my impression of them was based entirely on their website.

Hope that answers your question.

Nick
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.