Author Topic: I went from Funny to Serious! how do I get back to the comedy???  (Read 1200 times)

GondorianPrincess

I know this is Random, but whatever.

Okay, so the main character, the Prince, has been changed....I don't like the reaction given.
I also cannot seem to find my way from the seriousness of the past two chapters and get back to the satyrical/comdey like of the book that I started out with!

does anyone have any suggestions?????

Offline PretzelGirl

• the exquisite corpse shall drink new wine
Re: I went from Funny to Serious! how do I get back to the comedy???
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 01:31:26 AM »
Maybe you need to rework the last 2 chapters? If they're too serious, they wont match the rest of your work even if you do manage to regain the humour after them. Keep the serious circumstances, but inject a little bit of humour into them... perhaps reread the rest to get you back into the mood for comedy.
And to continue: now that everyone's so solemn, make  fun of that somehow. You're the author and can look down on your characters...put the emotions aside and see the humour in the situation.
Smoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas!
- A. J. Rimmer, Red Dwarf

Chaucer

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:32:01 AM »
I kind of believe that all things happen for a reason.  (Cool avatar by the way).   Perhaps another story with another prince (a more dramatic story) just needed to come out as a reminder not to be forgotton when you are done with your comedy.  Reread the funny stuff over a few times and try to remember the mood, the songs the atmosphere, conversations, what put you in that frame of mind to write the funny stuff.   Sometimes just taking a break---keeping notes and thoughts of course as they pop up in your head so you don't forget----might help here.

I do like Pretzelsgirls suggestions----I hope they help.  Good luck to you.

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:54:11 AM »
Thank you Pretzelgirl and Chaucer.

Yeah. I think I shall have to go back and re-write all that stuff. I mean...the reaction I have isn't what I want...*lol*