Author Topic: Capitalization  (Read 2000 times)

katinka

Capitalization
« on: January 13, 2006, 10:30:23 AM »
Hi, 
I have a problem with "Where is my Dad?" Cap. correct?
" Her dad is not here. "  Lower case?

Lin

Re: Capitalization
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 11:32:37 AM »
Well for me Dad always has a capital, its a nickname I called my father,  but the dictionary says daddy has no capital.   I think its a name for someone,  like  Susan or Peter,  proper nouns have capitals,  this is a child's name for the alternative to father she calls him Daddy, is this a proper noun? - now you got me thinking?  Ive always put a capital.  Biblically speaking you use a capital F for Father and a G for God.  Daddy or Dad is a name surely?

Any more comments?

Lin

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 11:46:46 AM »
I'm going to quote the relevant section from my favourite website, the Guide to Grammar & Writing, here:

[Capitalize] names of relationships only when they are a part of or a substitute for a person's name. (Often this means that when there is a modifier, such as a possessive pronoun, in front of such a word, we do not capitalize it.)

* Let's go visit Grandmother today. Let's go visit my grandmother today.
    * I remember Uncle Arthur. I remember my Uncle Arthur. My uncle is unforgettable.

So when using Dad in place of the name of the person concerned, the capitalized version is correct:

"Has anyone seen Dad?"
"Ask Dad if he wants a cup of tea."

On the other hand, when using the term simply to refer to that person (i.e. not in place of their name), lower case is correct:

"Has anyone seen my dad?"
"The next race is for dads only."

In the examples in the original question, lower case would therefore be correct in both instances. It should therefore be:

"Where is my dad?" [but "Where is Dad?"]
"Her dad is not here."

Hope that helps!

Nick GM
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

katinka

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 10:53:59 PM »
Lin, I'm sorry, I just found your reply to my question on capitalization. I appreciate your interest. I keep stumbling over it. Someone said to read other books, novels and see what other authors are doing with that. Thanks
Karin