Author Topic: Can't find the right word...  (Read 4355 times)

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
Re: Can't find the right word...
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 01:07:27 AM »
here are all the aqua words I could find that might work.

aquacade n. An entertainment spectacle of swimmers and divers, often performing in unison to the accompaniment of music

The Aquapolis will be the worlds first underwater resort. ...

aquaticole, aquaticolous:. Living in water or aquatic vegetation

aquaterre:water/land

Aqueous means pertaining to, related to, similar to, or dissolved in water

I included some that meanmore than water because as an author, you might find a way to use it.

Orchid15
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Offline chillies

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 10:01:23 AM »
Hey Noel, I don't know if this will help, but what about saying Aquatic Expanses?  Or with a little poetic licence you could say Aquatic plains. The word plains refers to open country usually in America, but it does have a ring to it dosen't it - Aquatic plains?

Hey Mary Ann and Telcontar, The author of that book on Egyptology could get a job, just like that, writing speeches for politicians, what do you think?

chillies

Offline Makaira

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 01:30:44 PM »
Here is a site i use to find nomenclautre of things which helps me with creating characther names and such

http://www.wordreference.com
Just look up the different words you want to describe and it will provide a category tree which may give you another idea

This is where I found the name Makaira
PS love the U2 reference - couldn't resist!
It was a terrible sacrifice, but then is life worth living at all when in the end we must perish?  I suppose death is just the inevitable payment for the gift of life.  -AMJ - CAPT H

Offline noelgama

• Between the Sword and the Pen... are the words!
    • HR Writing For The 21st Century
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 11:24:27 PM »
Now we are near: aqua plains.. tried wordref and came even closer  with 'Aquaculture' (the chapter on culture is titled 'Culture Shock!')

Keeping 'Aquaculture' as the working title!

Noel
Author, "Culture Wise INDIA" (Survival Books, UK) & "Writer of the Year 2007" of Writers Bureau, UK

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 05:51:18 AM »
Hi Chillies,

Yep, I think you could be right about the 'political speeches'.  Maybe she already has (yes it was a woman).  But, writing in that fashion, when you are supposed to be teaching someone something, really is just 'plain showing off'. I mean, I was studying Egyptology, not how to become a university professor in English verbage. The whole book was written like that.  Ugh!! 

Mary Ann