Author Topic: Dorrance Publishing...ever heard of them?  (Read 21319 times)

Offline Bean Sidhe

• View Profile
Dorrance Publishing...ever heard of them?
« on: April 24, 2006, 04:10:37 AM »
I recently had some work copyrighted and soon after I received a letter out of the clear blue sky from this Dorrance Publishing Co. The letter stated that they had seen my work and were interested in getting it published. Has anyone ever heard of this company, and if so, what do you know about them?

Thanks

Offline Makaira

• View Profile
Re: Dorrance Publishing...ever heard of them?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 06:55:33 AM »
Check the website www.anotherealm.com/prededitors
it's a listing fo reputable agents as well as warnings of predators - hope it helps.

it lists dorrance with a warning - please check the site for more info.
It was a terrible sacrifice, but then is life worth living at all when in the end we must perish?  I suppose death is just the inevitable payment for the gift of life.  -AMJ - CAPT H

Offline JKimble

• View Profile
    • Kimble McKay Literary Arts Group
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 01:14:40 PM »
Hello Fellow Writers,

I have to put in my 2 cent's worth here being an professional writer and editor. In regards to Predators and Editors, I've found out some disturbing information about them through a class action lawsuit that is being filed against them. Because of their arbitrary list of who is bad and who is good in the publishing industry, they have managed to put a lot of good agents and editors out of business. I felt their service was great because it was a one stop place to find out what agents and editors were proned to scam. The lawsuit being filed against them declares that their recommendations are so arbitrary in that they never bother to contact an agent or editor to glean correct information before they blacklist someone. I have talked to over 25 agencies that are on P&E's list, and their business has been so affected by P&E that their client base has gone down dramatically. They are having to put out more marketing and PR than ever before to  counteract the negative reviews.

Now, I agree that there are many legitimate negative recommendations on P&E. It seems so unfair to me that they never bother to find out exactly what's what with agents and editors they get complaints about. For example, if a writer complained that an editor too her money and did nothing, P&E would automatically give that editing company a negative recommendation. What P&E never bothered to find out was that the writer lied about that editing company because she was unhappy with all the changes the editor made to her manuscript. So that complaint was born out of revenge. This is not a fantasy example - it really happened to more than just one editing company and agency.

There must be something done about this unfair practice. And evidentally there is. So far, over sixty editors and agencies have  joined force in this class action law suit for unfair trade practices. If P&E really wanted to help writers, then they would be fair so that everyone involved would get a fair shake, and good, reputable industry pros would be available.

Smiles,
Jillanne Kimble
Jillanne Kimble
Niki D. McKay
Kimble McKay Literary Arts Group
www.kimblemckay.netfirms.com

Offline Makaira

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »
Wow - I didn't realize that - so what can writer's do to protect themselves for shady businesses out there?
Is there anywhere that we can research agents, etc.  other than the agnecy websites?
Thank you so much for the info!
It was a terrible sacrifice, but then is life worth living at all when in the end we must perish?  I suppose death is just the inevitable payment for the gift of life.  -AMJ - CAPT H

Offline Bean Sidhe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 11:18:19 AM »
Very interesting, thanks for the info. I'll check out the listings, but I just won't jump to conclusions.  :)

Lin

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 02:04:27 PM »
MMM this is interesting!!   I was looking for an editor for my new  book, just maybe I shall have to go on recommendation through this web site.   There is nothing finer than word of mouth I think.
I am searching around and will not commit until I am sure that I know someone who will do a good job.  My colleague is busy at the moment so I cant do it with her.

Apparently Andrew Crofts is fully booked - I asked him!!  Are you busy Jillanne?  Let me know your costs etc - just maybe Ill look into it. 

Lin

Offline JKimble

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 10:45:39 AM »
Hi Linn,

Glad to meet you.  I am always busy, but I have a few openings coming up next week. I'd love to take a look at your work and give you a free evaluation to see how we can help you achieve your publishing goals. I charge around $1.75 per double spaced page depending on the amount of editing needed.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Jillanne
Jillanne Kimble
Niki D. McKay

Offline JKimble

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 10:58:41 AM »
Hi Makaira,

The best things you can do to protect yourself from dishonest agents and editors is to look into each company for yourself. Go to each website, look at their list of books they got published, and if they charge for editing, or recommend a certain editor. Also find out if they charge fees upfront. If they charge for office duties like copying, postage, etc., that should come out of the advance and royalties. It's said to never pay upfront for anything with a literary agency. But I know of one agency who is extemely successful, and she charges $600. upfront for expenses. She has a nice list of authors who have reached the best seller list. So the decision to go with an agency who charges a fee is one that is purely individual. I can't stress that enough. Like buying a car, some like Chevys, some like Fords. There is no hard and fast rule about either make. It's preference.  Once you receive acceptance and a contract, look it over with an eagle eye for  parts that might mention any upfront fees and where the office expenses come from. If anyone needs help in this area, please let me know via email. I'm glad to help for no charge.
To take a site's recommendation of one agency or another is easy. Taking the easy way out to get published is not the way to success.

Best,
Jillanne

Jillanne Kimble
Niki D. McKay

Offline Makaira

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 10:23:36 PM »
Thank you Jillianne,  I might just take you up on your offer.  I am currently seeking representation for my novel.  It is very difficult at times to know what you are doing, especially for newbies like me. 

Thank you again for your insight and assistance.  I definitely need all the help I can get. ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:28:24 PM by Makaira »

Offline port111

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 03:17:33 PM »
I'm not aware of any class action suit against Write Americam but if there is I bet Publish America and a couple of other will be standing first in line.

That's the problem with the writing industry. There are so many buzzards swoopin and swarming aroun that at times it is hard to tell the good guys from the bad. The few times I inquired an agent or publisher that had a bad report from P&E their report was true. Too bad we can't have a magical divining rod we could use to find the good guys.

Offline Symphony

• View Profile
    • Put the kettle on
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 12:17:53 PM »
For UK writers - just a note: if you've got a manuscript with a publisher or agent, then it's well worth joining the Society of Authors. They will give the onceover to any contract before you sign it (for free!).

Maybe there's a US equivalent? Might be worth finding out ...

Just Tell the Truth - www.audiostoriesforkids.com
The Magic Show - www.audiostoriesforkids.com

Blog:  http://www.putthekettleon.org

Offline Donnettetxgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 06:00:20 PM »
All I can say is, I'd rather take my chances and take P&E at their word, than I would to have gotten scammed. There are so many reputable publishers and agents out there, I don't really need to take the chance. I still very much believe in P&E. And on another note. If a publishing company is really legit, chances are pretty good that their going to be far too busy working for the clients that they do have, than to have the time to send letters to clients they don't have, in the hopes of gaining themselves new clients. The same I believe with editors. A professional editor will not be soliciting thier services in the same way. These reputable companies usually have a very long list of clients, and they wouldn't need to be soliciting their services in such a way. I think that if an editor, agent or publishing company is approaching a person that has in no way asked about their services, there's probably good reason to believe that something is definitely amiss.

Donnette

Offline port111

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 10:59:24 PM »
All I can say is, I'd rather take my chances and take P&E at their word, ....... I think that if an editor, agent or publishing company is approaching a person that has in no way asked about their services, there's probably good reason to believe that something is definitely amiss.

Donnette

I agree with you. After Publish America and a few others of like types I am damned leery. One jerk, I can't remember his name sent me a notification he had read my novel and had just the publisher lined up for it BUT...for only a thousand dollars he would fix it and give me his word he would almost have it in the hands of an editor within thirty days. Just one problem, at that time I had no novel written.

I do have one out now with Rock Way Publishing out of New Mexico. P&E speaks highly of them and so do a couple of other people in the business.

This is a rough racket sometimes.

BTW, anyone with non-erotic short stories in England might give Gorlan a try. Katherine York is a very sweet lady to work with and she pays promptly.

Lin

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 02:50:58 AM »
As a first time author unpublished, I am going down the more difficult route.   I dont believe in getting my book published through any kind of publishing house/agency which offers to read for an up front fee, I have to pay to get published or I have to put myself in a position where I have to market my own book.    I want my book to be published on its merits from a publisher who is very interested in my work. He must want my book because he loves it as much as I do!!     If the merits are not there, its not good enough.  Full stop!!  Ill just keep trying.   To me that would be the biggest achievement of my life.  For me this is all part of the fun of being a writer, its a huge challenge and extremely rewarding once you get your first book published on its merits.

Now I know this sounds arrogant but if what I have written isn't right for someone to publish down the old fashioned route,  then my book really isn't good enough.   There are too many gypsies, tramps and thieves in life and in the publishing world,  and as I know from being in business myself, pure recommendation many times over with an agent or publisher calls for my own research,  and decisions would be made on that outcome.  Everyone is out to make money, you have to remember that fact.   Researching is probably one of the most important jobs you will have to do next to writing and editing your book.

Unfortunately everyone is on the publishing bandwagon at the moment and I would not wish to sign a contract with just anyone for the sake of being published.   My ego doesnt stretch that far.   I may never get published, I hear you say, well let me call that a learning curve for the next book!   The UK market is well over published at the moment and I may well have to try elsewhere, but in the meantime I shall do my research over and over again.

Lin

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 05:09:08 AM by Lin »

Offline Symphony

• View Profile
    • Put the kettle on
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 04:50:31 AM »
I'm like you, Lin. I did the self-publishing thing once - for my own gratification (purely) - but I was also well aware of that at the time - no ideas of best-sellers (or anything-else sellers) in my head. For my 'real' writing, I want my stories accepted by someone who honestly thinks it's good enough. That'll be my 'wow' in my writing career. I don't expect to make a living from it - or even pocket money. Just to have it 'chosen' by a publisher or agent will probably give me a heart attack anyway!

Have all fingers crossed for your newest book venture.

Symphony

p.s. I was approached recently by a publisher who had read my story and thought it was fantastic and would love to illustrate it and if I'd care to discuss it we could talk about the characters and my ideas ... ... and any discussion of fees could wait until later ... (Oh, it was all going so well up until then!!!!!)  ;D
Just Tell the Truth - www.audiostoriesforkids.com
The Magic Show - www.audiostoriesforkids.com

Blog:  http://www.putthekettleon.org