Author Topic: Quirks in character speech  (Read 4840 times)

DeAngeloNox

Re: Quirks in character speech
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 04:01:47 AM »
It's sort of like that here in Utah... depending on where you go.
Unlike most people, I am around a large verity of accents often. El Salvador, southern, British, Mexican, and I can't even remember all the places my asian friends are from. Being around these people made me recognize my own accent and how ridiculous it sounds.
Mine is like: I c'n see the mount'ins from my house. (I can see the mountains from my house.)

Meanwhile, my cousins all sound like they're from Mississippi but are really Utahans.
They're like: Suh'ehm(something), layyyke (lake), gardIn (garden or guarding). And the funniest... Utah'ihnnn It's really drug out and funny sounding when said by an actual Utahan.

As you can see, they're all pretty annoying in text. But REAL accents are usually consistent... For the sake of the book, you may wanna (haha... I will slap myself for using slang) keep it at a minimal so you don't rot anyone's brain out.

Lin

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 05:10:22 AM »
Personally I would write an accent like this

[i]"What you bin doin' girl?"   He joked in an overplayed Cornish accent.  She liked it when he spoke that way, it made her feel she was accepted in the group.

The background noise in the pub, the clinking of glasses and the general buzz of conversation made it difficult for her to be heard.

She raised her voice "Did  I hear you were born in Padstow?"

"Well it was a long time ago, I'm more of a Hereford man myself,I was in the church choir there."

"Oh really?  So what are you doing back here in Cornwall?" she dared to enquire.

"Looking for my roots perhaps; I've got some family here I thought I would look them up, I have a letter from my father and I need to sort out a family riddle."
[/i]

Showing and telling about accents can be portrayed in this way.  This isn't good dialogue, I know, but I wanted to show, through dialogue, and I hope you guys got the feelings.  The lines in bold show that his accent was no longer true Cornish, even though the female character seemed to like it. Maybe his accent is more from Hereford now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:26:01 AM by Orangutansaver »

Offline Vienna

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 05:55:37 AM »
  i be loikin that i be ooooarrrrr
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Lin

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 06:28:01 AM »
There's always one!!

LOL

Lin x

Offline Vienna

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 06:40:20 AM »

yeah well its like I was a bit brahms and liszt last night on account of me having had a few Britneys in the rub-a -dub, had a ruby on the way home, but luckily didnt have the bradleys this morning

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »

yeah well its like I was a bit brahms and liszt last night on account of me having had a few Britneys in the rub-a -dub, had a ruby on the way home, but luckily didnt have the bradleys this morning

Blink, blinl wtf?
Sorry, I totally didn't get what you just said. What is "Didn't have the bradleys this morning?"
You didn't have a hangover? you didn't have zit on your nose? *lol*

Offline Vienna

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 06:17:05 AM »

was a bit pissed (drunk ) cos i had too many beers on the way home had a curry (ruby murray) and in the morning didnt have the bradleys (bradley pitts = shits)

brahms and liszt = pissed
britneys =britney speares = beers
ruby murray = curry
and the rest u know

GondorianPrincess

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 11:52:24 AM »
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for explaining it to me. :P