Author Topic: What do you need right now?  (Read 48750 times)

Offline CoreyBlake

• View Profile
    • Writers of the Round Table Inc.
What do you need right now?
« on: November 20, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »
Hey writers,

I'd like to better get to know the people on here, so I'm curious about what people are looking for right now in terms of their writing. New agent, great editor, a writing group, a web designer, help with their pitch, help with their queries, help with writer's block, etc.

I'll start by saying that I'm in need of more time in the day to write.   Because I write multiple books simultaneously, I need to generate between 10 and 15 new pages a day (between manuscript writing, proposal writing, queries and marketing materials).  I'm probably averaging half that even putting in an average of 11 hours a day. I'm getting bogged down with communication, conference calls and sales. All good things because they revolve around my writing, but I need to be more intentional about putting the writing first.

I'd love to hear what everyone else needs.   
Best,
Corey
Corey Blake
Chairman of the Dream
Writers of the Round Table Inc.
www.writersoftheroundtable.com
http://blog.writersoftheroundtable.com/
www.coreyblake.net

Nelodra

Re: What do you need right now?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »
I need my to get rid of this dreadful cold first.

Once that's taken care of, I need more discipline and organization.

thatollie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:00:58 PM »
I need to get more organised and I need to finish a few niggling pieces to clear the way for other stuff.
Basically, I need to get serious.

bod

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 04:14:35 PM »
i need no distractions - wife, kids and dog have to go

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »
I too need more time in the day. Not only for my writing but for ordinary life. The days seem short and I end up sitting up till 3am trying to organise my thoughts and work into a logical order. I tend to have ideas sweep through my mind, normally at the worst time, and if I don't write them down it's a sure thing I will never remember them.

Offline reddsh

• Cute but Jaded
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »
Corey, thanks for starting this topic.  We all need something.  :)

For me it's:
1) More time in the day - I'm a full time student, work part time, and I'm getting married in 9 months.  I'm lucky if I get even an hour a day to work on writing.
2) A sounding board - Not necessarily an editor just yet, especially since I'm not even sure if I want to be published at this point, but I need somewhere to discuss ideas.  I hate to burden my loved ones by talking about my novel all the time.
The author gets to choose when the story is finally dead. ~Castledoor

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 06:58:34 PM »
I too need more time in the day.

I'm with you, Ma.  Longer days are the obvious solution.  However, since we can't change the planet's orbit, a practical methodology must be found.  

My personal proposal would be to add 12 hours each to Saturday and Sunday and do away with Mondy altogether, since that seems to be the least popular day.  All in favor, raise your hand.  :)
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline fire-fly

• Global Moderator
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:33:02 AM »

Best idea I have heard in years Don, I'm in.  ;D ;D
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline jcff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 07:23:36 AM »
The days seem short and I end up sitting up till 3am trying to organise my thoughts and work into a logical order.
Ma, if I was up till 3am I wouldnt have a logical thought!  :D but I agree wholeheartedly that there isnt enough time in the day - I try to get up earlier instead I think better in the morning but that's me
jcff

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 08:16:51 AM »
Don's onto something with his abolish Monday plan, but the powers that be (Sun and Moon) won't let you add the extra to the other days.

Back when i was a wage slave I once managed to get myself a job where I worked for sixteen hours a day for three days, thus clocking up a quite profitable 48 hour week, thus allowing a four day weekend.  In reality Thursday became a wind-down day, a transition between manic and laid-back, but three days to go fishing, work on bikes etc, was a pretty good deal.

What I did learn was that 'work expands to fill the time available'.  If you are ruthless with yourself about finishing what has to be done in a set time then it will fit. [1]  It may take a few weeks to get to grips with this.  You may annoy a few friends/family who work more normal hours.  But the old saying about work hard and play hard does work, provided you keep them separate.  (It is much easier when you're an 'eighteen and indestructible' adrenaline junkie, but it can be done.)

Once you start taking work home, or using your weekends to 'catch up' you're on the downward spiral.

We writers tend to get 'good ideas' at awkward times and I'll cheerfully admit to working most days, often for far longer than I would work for anyone else.  As writers our bodies and minds are quite often not synchronised with each other ;-(

But sometimes, just sometimes, I'll turn off the computer, poke my camera and some sarnies into a bag, and just run away for the day.(The kids and family can still get me on my mobile phone in an emergency, but not many other people know that number.)  A complete shut down can be just the thing you need on occasion.  These outings can be planned, in the form of a 'reward', but - for me at least - the completely spontaneous ones seem the most beneficial.

If you can see a gap looming in your busy schedule don't think of it as as extra time and back off on the throttle.  Instead, see if you can speed up a bit here and there and thus make the gap even longer.

Since my 'ill health retirement' I've had to live with days when I truly can't do much, when I have to just 'go with the flow' and take it easy.   Good days to catch up on reading if i don't fall asleep ;-(  A hard lesson to learn, but the other side of the coin is to make the most of the really good days when I feel as if I could not only push over mountains with one hand tied behind my back but will actively go looking for the said mountains.)

[1]  Check out the 'short term deadlines' page on my website for an exercise to show yourself that more can be done in less time.   www.thewritetuition.co.uk

Gyppo

PS:  If you really can't find any slack in your time then you're really trying to do too much.  Cut something, as long as it's not your wrists or throat.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 08:20:34 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • View Profile
    • My blog pages
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »
I need to believe. Then I will.

Carrie  ;D
www.ukfolkie.blogspot.com
www.myspace.com/carolynsheppard
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yiTf1zjnxQc
www.thecompletetrainer.com

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 08:42:58 AM »
I'll turn off the computer, poke my camera and some sarnies into a bag, and just run away for the day.(

Not to the seaside like me uh Gyppo :)

See when I was young it would be up and out the door to work by 7.30am. Slap and hair was done on the top deck of the bus. Breakfast grabbed at the nearest wimpy, then into work by 9.am. Home by 6.00pm straight into bath avoiding face so I could touch up the mornings make-up with a bit more polyfilla.
Down stairs by 6.15 pm, curlers sprayed with lacquer for the evening hairstyle. Dinner never touched the sides and with clean undies and a new outfit I was out the door for dancing practice by 6.45pm. By 8.00pm I would be on the bus to a venue to watch a gig and would think nothing of going home on the first underground train in the morning with friends. I lived in London then.

Now if I could squash all that in then. Who nicked the hours in the day as I got older? :) ???

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »
Not to the seaside like me uh Gyppo :)

Who nicked the hours in the day as I got older? :) ???

1)  Sometimes the sea calls.

2)  He owes me a few hours too.  If I knew who I'd hunt the bugger down and kill him slowly and painfully.  All in the guise of research of course ;-)  "Nothing personal, Old Chap.  Just research for a novel."

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 04:47:34 AM »
I'm with you, Ma.  Longer days are the obvious solution.  However, since we can't change the planet's orbit, a practical methodology must be found.  

My personal proposal would be to add 12 hours each to Saturday and Sunday and do away with Mondy altogether, since that seems to be the least popular day.  All in favor, raise your hand.  :)

<---*Hand up*
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Bru

• View Profile
    • http://www.brunazanelli.com
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 10:30:58 AM »
as a working journalist, I need a Lotto win so I can quit work and concentrate on my REAL writing: novels!
btw - welcome Corey!
'if there's a friend who ever needs me,
I'll try to help somehow'
http://www.brunazanelli.com