Author Topic: Legend of Toucan Moon--segment 3  (Read 1407 times)

Offline ZooDoc

• "War Star Rising!" tells about an END to violence.
    • zoodoc stories
Legend of Toucan Moon--segment 3
« on: April 22, 2006, 11:49:41 AM »
(still in Xiuhsana's zoo office)

“2:30 this morning.  Didn’t you get my message?  I had this terrible nightmare.  When I woke up, I decided to write you about it.   You didn’t even get my e-mail?”

“Joaquin, I didn’t check my messages this morning, all right?  So tell me, what was it about?”

“I was doing some research on Maya culture and history late last night, before I went to bed.  You know, for my class.”

“Oh?  I thought you were on the phone with me late last night.”

“After we talked, Dearest.  Pay attention... Anyway, I had this nightmare about you and I on safari in the jungle, and we got captured by Maya warriors.”  Xiuhsana chuckles.  “I’m not kidding!  Oh, and after class this morning I did some more research and came across a thrilling legend that just might be connected to your ancestry.  Even your name is Mayan, right?”

“Well, kind of.  You know I get Zamora from my dad, who’s from Madrid.  He favored Susana as my first name.  My mom, as you know, is from the Yucatan, so she favored Shu.co.atl, spelled X-i-u-h-c-o-a-t-l.  They broke the impasse and settled for Xiuhsana Zamora.”

“See there.”

“Joaquin, you never cease to amaze me with the garbage you come up with.  If you weren’t a history professor, I’d think you were a little off.  Come to think of it, you are a little off!  Ko’ox janal.”

“What does that mean?”

“Let’s eat.”

“See, you even speak a little Mayan!”

“So what?  C’mon, let’s get lunch.  I’m starved!”

At the park restaurant, Xiuhsana and Joaquin enjoy a pastrami-on-rye, some French fries and apple juice.  “So what’s this garbage about a stupid legend?”

“It’s not stupid.  I’ll tell you about it later when I get some more info.” 

“You turkey!  You always keep me hanging.”

Two days later, very early in the morning, at L.A.X. - TACA AIRLINES, the place is bustling with people scurrying to and from the terminal, and to and from taxis and buses.  Xiuhsana emerges from one taxi, and Joaquin another.  They’re wearing safari garb and carrying backpacks.  At the security checkpoint, Xiuhsana demands angrily:  “So what’s the big emergency?”  No reply.  “Joaquin...what’s going on?”  They make it quickly through security and get in line for boarding.

Then Joaquin asks:  “Did you bring it?”

“What?  Oh...”

“Don’t tell me you forgot.  Please, God, tell me you didn't forget!”

“Would you calm down!  I didn’t forget.”   She reaches into her backpack.

“Is that it?  Your grandmother’s necklace?”

“Great-grandmother.”

“Whatever.”

“Joaquin, you better tell me what this is all about.”  She glances at the boarding sign that reads “flight 2134, Belize.”  They and other passengers begin boarding the jet.  Walking along the boarding tunnel, he simply answers:  “I’ll explain everything after we get seated.”

“You call me at 4:30 in the morning, Joaquin... 4:30, just as I was sleeping like a baby... and you tell me to get dressed in these clothes and bring my backpack, and my great-grandmother’s necklace.  I’m half-asleep but I manage to call my folks and the recording at work, catch a quick flight to Long Beach, taxi up the 405 to this mad-house, and you won’t even tell me where the hell’re we going?”

Inside the 747, they put backpacks in the overhead compartment, and fall into their seats.  But Joaquin only says:  “Belize.”

“Wher...I bet this is about that stupid legend, isn’t it!  That’s why you wanted me to bring the necklace!”  The blonde flight attendant makes her usual announcements (audio is muffled), as our couple continues their debate.  “Yes, we’re going to Belize to find out if my hunch is correct...that the legend about a Maya princess...”

An old lady leans forward in her seat:  “A Maya princess?”

Heads press back during the take-off.

“Sandoval, I made the stupid mistake of telling you, on that romantic evening in Paris, when I was full of champagne and caviar, that my great-grandmother once told me, when I was a little girl, that whopper about me supposedly being descended from...”

“...a Maya queen.”

“Joaquin, I was full of caviar and champagne, for God’s sake.  I didn’t think you’d believe it!”  The two attractive flight attendants hand out peanuts and saltines.  “Your granny was from Belize, right?”

“No, Guatemala.  Joaquin, you really should check these things out.”

“Was it Guatemala by the ocean or by the sea?”

“What difference does it make?”

“A lot.  C’mon, Xiuhsana, do you know or not?”

“I don’t know.  She did say something about swimming in ‘the sea’ when she was a little girl and being afraid because of all the sting rays.  Why?”

ZooDoc, "Sculptor of Words"
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired." -Robert Strauss

sjreed56

Re: Legend of Toucan Moon--segment 3
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 01:05:53 PM »
I’m glad you have posted more. The story has taking an interesting direction. ~ Sherry

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 03:05:02 PM »
Thanks.  We're getting to the juicy stuff pretty soon.  The mystery unfolds!  ZD
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You do not quit when you're tired -You quit when the gorilla is tired." -Robert Strauss

Offline ZooDoc

• zoodoc stories
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 09:15:40 AM »
Hopefully I'll get segment 4 posted today.  ZD